News: The 2019/20 Season Preview/Review Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  2. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    There's a MEN article that suggest this break has given Ole the time needed to work on the diamond formation.

I know @Naboomagnoli doesn't like it, but I like the potential.

The positives are that:

- the midfield can compensate somewhat for Matic's lack of mobility.

- Probably the only real way to optimize Pogba, Bruno, Rash, Tony and Fred. Pogba doesnt have to play pivot, Fred doesnt have to play 6. Rashford still has to work hard defensively, bur he doesnt have to track fullbacks.

Some possible negatives

- We need width from our fullbacks and neither one one of them are especially effective in the attacking third. Wan Bissaka has shown some improvements in crossing, but a lot of times he still has to be urged forward instead of being their naturally.

- please feel free to add guys.

3. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    When you mention fullbacks, which leftback are you considering?

4. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Yep - I have a lot of problems with the diamond. I prefer the 3-4-1-2, if anything. The diamond looks like it optimises players, but all it does is put them in the right starting positions on the pitch. It doesn't put them in the right ending positions though - strikers have to go wide to create width, Bruno doesn't get on the end of chances in the box because his job is to drop deep and draw the CBs away, our iffy attacking fullbacks need time to come forward, when they do they leave our super slow LCB exposed to direct balls...

It's a possession formation because it needs time for you to churn and rotate to pull a team apart. I wouldn't be surprised if we'd put some time into learning the formation just to grasp the basics, but if we bust that out against Spurs or Sheff Utd we're pretty much throwing our league position away. At least with 3-4-1-2 you are keeping your wingbacks further up, you have 3 back to clean up direct balls into channels, and your strikers don't have to make as many runs wide - they can start wider and come in sooner as the wingbacks overlap.

https://thebusbybabe.sbnation.com/2...d-mctominay-matic-fred-premier-league-everton

J'can repped this.
  5. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I'd want Williams to start, but I know Shaw will start, who i was speaking about.

6. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Good points.

One I don't see as a problem is one of, or both drift wide. I think Martial and Rashford like doing that. Its natural to them, even when we play them as lone strikers. Players like Fred, Bruno, Pogba have the energy to push into the box.

The thing about our slow LCB is a problem in any formation because no matter what formation we play the fullbacks have to support the attack, aside from the 3 at the back. But we're not gonna be playing that formation outside of the big games, basically Spurs and Arsenal as far as our remaining schedule.

It is a possession formation. When we play teams outside the top 6 or 7, we end up having to play a possession game no?

I like the 3412 as well. But we still have the problem of the Fred and Pogba not playing their best roles. One of them will have to sacrifice their natural game. We may not need a true 6 with 3 at the back, but we need discipline.

7. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Maguire plays CB with Shaw LCB and Bailly/Lindelöf RCB, so his negligible pace is mitigated in a back 3.

The problem with the strikers drifting wide is that, if one of them starts as a winger, they make an inward run when they receive the ball. In a front two, they typically receive the ball more centrally and are forced wide, away from goal and supporting teammates. You can see the touch maps for Martial and Greenwood in that link as an example.

benni... repped this.
  8. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We need a double rep option. Very good insights sir

9. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ster-united-fernandes-martial-ighalo-18352353

The bit that really me excited is the emphasis on quick passing play/keeping the ball on the ground. Seen hints of that in the training vids the club has released and frankly, with the players at Ole's disposal, there is real potential there.
    Obviously want to see how Bruno and Pogs link up, but add both Rashford and Martial to the mix and our attack can be killer. As to the setup I'd want to see them lined up in, it really depends on the opposition as far as I'm concerned.
    Provided that he manages to keep the squad healthy and fresh as much as possible (we could be looking at lots of games, especially if we go far in cup competitions), Ole has genuine options available to him now. Might as well make the most of it.

10. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Naboo, you missed the entire line where i said unkess its a back 3. The back 3 isnt our main or go to formation.

The article you posted does a good job of pointing out the weaknesses. Its mostly down to personnel. The article also provides a counter to all the weaknesses. POGBA!

I don't see the problem with an inward run. In the article, there are at least 2 gifs of our players failing to take advantage of the space Bruno created. One with Martial altogether not even making the run.

Personally im hoping to see it again, because it optimizes most of our players. You said the problem is where the players end up? The way I see it, you have Fred and the 6 covering gaps, You have Bruno and Pogba providing the thrust, and the fullbacks (probably the biggest issue with the diamond)

11. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    @Naboomagnoli

Hope i didn't come off as a prick. Im just looking for the best way to fit Pogba in, without Matic.

3412 is probably the best option for a tough game, but do you think it optimizes Fred and Pogba?

12. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    No worries, didn't think anything of it.

I took your line about the 3 at the back as being about the fullbacks having to attack and leave the CBs isolated unless we play a back 3 (which I didn't follow either so I just left it there).

Actually I'd argue that if you have wingers then you only need to attack with one fullback at a time, whereas diamonds need both fullbacks to advance further. Obviously if Shaw is the one to come forward then we're still exposed to some extent, but we aren't just leaving 2 behind.

The main pro in bringing it back is definitely Pogba. But I do think we can break sides down using a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-3-3. If we're talking about low block sides who aren't going to challenge in the midfield then I think we're fine with Pogba in a double pivot. We can decide on the partner based on the opposition.

I agree that Pogba, plus lots of training time, could make a big difference to how well a 4-3-1-2 works. Personally I would rather see if we can get Pogba and Bruno working in a 4-2-3-1, because if we sign Sancho then the 4-3-1-2 would need to be unpicked again.

13. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  14. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    jnielsen and Amdrag repped this.
  15. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I am ready for some football.

16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That tie will be sandwiched between the Sheffield Utd and Brighton in the league. Will be interesting to see to which extent Ole will rotate with games coming thick and fast after a long layoff.

jnielsen repped this.
  17. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    I've been watching most of the Bundesliga stuff that's available on TV. I don't like it compared to the EPL. Definitely seems slower, and less technical. But I don't watch it a lot, so maybe that's the restart.

18. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Definitely the restart. Technically German football is up there. At least in my opinion.

Futbol_Head, Chaz Striker and Amdrag repped this.
  19. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    upload_2020-6-9_15-25-35.png

jnielsen repped this.
  21. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Definitely slower. Technically just as good. But the league is a bore and will be one until someone can challenge Bayern.

jnielsen repped this.
  22. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    not to take this thread too far off tangent but as someone who's watched the Bundesliga for 20+ years now the best thing to do is watch offbrand matches.

yea it might be nice to see Coman embarrass someone on the dribble or Robben cut inside on his left and fire it far corner and still no one can stop what we all know is coming, you can see these things in the CL.

for me the team i follow in the Bundesliga is (was) Kaiserslautern. looking back it was nice to see talents like Klose & Ballack come through and seeing how far they'd go or seeing Bremen, Stuttgart and Wolfsburg upset the apple cart in the last 15 years and in particular the stellar seasons the forwards like Aílton, Grafite, Gómez to facilitate.

that's generally my motto with La Liga and other one/two team leagues with stale title racesas well. followed Valencia from the Aimar, López, González days to Mata, Silva, Villa.

the long and short of it is the highlight for me is looking for emerging talent or coaches or systems

J'can and jnielsen repped this.
  23. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  24. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to love watching Fiorentina and Roma when Fox Soccer Channel was still a thing. Then I got really into Schalke while Raul and Huntelaar were still active. They've been dreadful the last two seasons though.

I haven't been as good at keeping up with Bundesliga the last few seasons, but I try to keep an eye on some of the exciting French players that have made their way into the league.

Amdrag repped this.
  25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States