The 2019/20 Pre-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Eddie, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    TBF, I think history is on side with @4x4s; very few players do come back from loan to succeed here. There is always a shinier new toy. I mean look at Llorente, he went on loan, had a phenomenal season, two years later he's at our arch rivals. Same with James. Morata came back, had a good run but never started, and he was out as well. The list goes on.

If Odegaard continues to play a position higher up the pitch, I don't see much of a future for him here. The cupboard is pretty full with young players up front, and some of them will be far more connected to the club, like Vinicius, Rodrygo, and Kubo (and possibly even Brahim). If he plays deeper in a midfield position, he might have a chance. The market is showing no signs of slowing down, and if an average midfielder is 100M, then when you're looking at replacements for Kroos and Modric, it will make a lot more sense to bring him back then spend that much money for a worse player.

2. Ayayain

Ayayain Member+

Real Madrid
    Nov 29, 2017
    I'm in agreement with @4x4s here.

I already said what I think of this Odegaard situation :ninja:

3. Crimson

Crimson BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 11, 2009
    We also have Oscar on loan for a midfielder that Odegaard wil probably compete with as well.

4. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I've "low key" already paid hundreds of euros on tickets for the upcoming season in both sports for games that don't even have fixed dates yet.

Being realistic/unimpressed doesn't equal less support.

Eddie repped this.
  5. Real__Madrid

Real__Madrid Member+

Aug 29, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    To be fair none actually really kicked the ground running like Carvajal and Casemiro. Without forgetting both when returned to the club where not coming back as starters, rather as subs and eventually outperformed.

Morata is an idiot. Had he stayed for one more season he probably would’ve nailed the #9 spot from Benzema. He went to Chelsea and eventually became a sub to lol Giroud lol.

The case of Llorente I’ll compare to Ceballos. In the sense that both were exceptional outside Madrid, came to the club and couldn’t really convince the coach (well Llorente did to Solari but he’s gone). Our loan players will always get the advantage and possibly a season chance to be part of the squad, then its up to them to impress in training and the little minutes they get.

Saeta Rubia repped this.
  6. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  7. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    I agree with this. With Odegaard we simply see him as an investment.
    This was the year to try and integrate him with the team, we could have sent Brahim on loan instead or Asensio and give this player a chance - Asensio joined the team when he was 20/19 years old, why can’t we do the same with this player .

IMO Odegaard will be sold for a profit at point.

8. robertocarlos3

robertocarlos3 Member+

Jan 9, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    what's the deal with Benzema's hand? he didn't have time to operate it in the summer?

9. Açores57

Açores57 Member+

Oct 4, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Superstition is my guess.

10. russian hattie

russian hattie Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Watching young players develop is actually one of the things I like most in football. Few make it and live up to expectations but that is part of the thrill. I also like it as it gives me a good reason to take an interest in other games (I would never have watched Japan play in the Copa America if not to see Kubo).

You don’t have to prove a point or win an argument here, it’s just something people enjoy.

S1na, PigBenis, YOUNGSTARS87 and 3 others repped this.
  11. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nobody hates Lucas. But damn he's pesky and somehow always finds his way back onto the field.

Not everyone is pleased. There is no plan for these kids most of the time.

12. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1151133530614714371 is not a valid tweet id

Zizou returned to training today

Ahmadi8, Zidane05 and Drouchk repped this.
  13. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1150833427748442113 is not a valid tweet id

The technical quality of the Benzema-Hazard duo is going to be stupendous

14. Drouchk

Drouchk Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 9, 2018
  15. temesgen

temesgen Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    We saw very good chemistry and interplay between Benz and Jr last season. It's shocking how little energy there is between Bale and Benzema after so much time in comparison.

16. Halycon

Halycon Member+

Aug 24, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  17. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    Extremely fluid speak. Impressive from Kubo.

When Florentino leaves it will be a sad day. When he passes I will probably mourn him like a family member.

S1na, AriGold, -Reivax- and 9 others repped this.
  18. ElCapitánSR4

ElCapitánSR4 Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Sep 14, 2017
    Great to see. Just look at those handshakes with Modric, Brahim, Vazquez etc. You can clearly see that he is very close with the players. He made some mistakes, but really happy that he leads this club!

19. Bear Crotch

Bear Crotch Member+

Jan 2, 2008
    Ohio, United States
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Kubo definitely looks like a prospect. He's not the "Japanese Messi" but he definitely looks exciting. Think of the marketing potential for the club as well.

I love Don Floren and I wonder how the club will respond when his time is up. We can't have another Calderon.

AriGold, natenate101 and MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  20. CivilProtection

CivilProtection Member+

Jul 6, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I haven't watched Kubo much, other than a bit of highlights, looks like nice prospect and a great boy in general. But he seems a bit... slow? Like more Isco than Messi. Can any of you who have actually watched him comment on his speed/agility?

21. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the clout he has built, I hope florentino has some successor in mind

Bear Crotch repped this.
  22. Ahmadi8

Ahmadi8 Member+

Apr 14, 2005
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    You can already picture all the anime shows being produced if gets any sort of success. :D

23. Drouchk

Drouchk Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 9, 2018
  24. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What would you expect from someone like Lucas Vasquez who is basically the new Solari in the Galactio 2.0 project. He's lucky not to be make weight for a new wine bar in the stadium renovations.

Made some mistakes - sure that's expected, but some of his decisions have been in direct conflict with the best interests of the club when he has chosen to side with himself. Exhibit 1: Bale.

Its hard to go wrong with a billionaire on your side, basically because its hard to fail when you're a billionaire.

This needs to be addressed now because unfortunately Flo's ego got the best of him and he convinced the board to change the rules so that Flo is the only person on planet earth who meets the requirements to be President of the club.

I don't think it should be that hard to find someone who can competently run the club and it makes sense for Flo to begin to "groom" someone, but everyone is ruled out including possible symbolic figures such as Raul and Zidane due to his decision to vote Flo first.

25. saadomar

saadomar Member+

Real Madrid
    Mar 21, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Is it only me who gets "future captain" vibes from Odriozola?

Drouchk repped this.