PBP: The 2014 Midterm Elections [R]

Discussion in 'Elections' started by DynamoEAR, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I suspect in the coming days when they dissect the numbers we will see a shockingly low participation rate from Hispanics. In the end Obama pussy footing around the issue to cover his red state Democrats backfired. Not only did it not help any of them but in the end it may cost the races in Virginia, North Carolina and Colorado where a healthy Latino turnout could of made up the difference. Perfect example of what Knave is talking about Democrats not standing by their principles and letting themselves be intimidated into a corner.

Dr. Wankler, Waliatiger and DynamoEAR repped this.
  2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So 54 or 56?

3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like checkers beat out chess tonight.

4. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999

A joke of cutting truth, and one that pretty much sums up how the idiot Dems are going to react to this one.

5. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Hillary will tack to the right and will run as a conservdem in 2016. Thom Tillis defeats Kay Hagan

6. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, I've had most of a bottle of wine. No specific drinking game, just drink when some jackass Republican wins, or when some loser Democrat loses. So yeah, lots of drinks.

I'm not that worried about the Senate - they can get rid of the filibuster and vote to repeal Obamacare all they want, but they will never be able to override an Obama veto.

I'm mostly pissed off about the governor's races. Not Texas -- Wendy Davis is great but there's no point in running as a Democrat in a statewide race in Texas for another ten or twenty years. But bluish states like Florida, Wisconsin, Michigan re-elected their Republican governors, after a track record of failure. And Illinois goes red? Sorry guys, you get what you deserve. I just wish it didn't cost so many of my tax dollars from California to support your failed states.

Transparent_Human and DynamoEAR repped this.
  7. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    We need to get that secession shit back up and going.

We could probably even field a pretty decent national team.

luftmensch and Smurfquake repped this.
  8. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The jerk Govenor of Maine Paul LePage wins reelection. Clean GOP sweep

9. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That's why I prefer parliamentary over presidential systems. How's the head of government supposed to be governing when he has no majority? And that in a political culture of polarization where comprimising is considered a sakrilege? Weimar calling. Hey wake up political America, this is the 21st century!

10. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    My neighbors to the north in Maryland voted Red for a couple of prominent offices. Although reports from that state say that they had some of the lowest voter turnouts ever.

The main problem in the US is that people don't vote unless it is the Presidential Election.

11. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes actually. I didn't really care about the overall outcome and that's good to see.

12. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Righteous indignation alert...

So Louisiana is going to a runoff, and will spend millions of dollars that could be better spent on literally anything else, simply because they can't be bothered to change their ballot to allow voters to rank candidates instead of voting for a single one?

Amazing.

13. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the same country that uses first past the post for virtually every election, with zero discussion of this ever changing.

It would be interesting for a couple of states to try this out. And then when the republic doesn't collapse, maybe take it federal.

14. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Early analysis from NBC news:

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/elections/where-were-all-dems-heres-who-turned-vote-n241696

15. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    Great. So now the only thing that will get passed in DC is the bong

tbitm and Boloni86 repped this.
  16. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I believe someone (losing party) make the argument that this would be to difficult for voters.

Nothing has upset me more the last 12 years in politics than the money that is being spent. Although, this money does support the economy as it is spent. It is just that ads and campaigns have been greatly dumbed down to the point that candidates are using hypothetical thinking as fact.

ie) Candidate X voted along with Obama in Washington..... while serving as State comptroller. How is this possible?

17. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well, Maryland elected a Republican governor. On the bright side of that vote is the hit Martin O'Malley's presumptive presidential election too. I'm certainly not afraid to pay taxes, but he has whopped us with several hikes over the past year, he's not particularly stuck his neck out for the Bay, and yet he's really run hard at farmers and watermen, our link to more traditional forms of business here on the Shore. I'm not sorry to see him go, and any less air that he breathes conventioneering will be better used by others.

18. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    As always the day after an election, I spent a little time looking at precinct level returns.

My neighborhood voted straight ticket Democratic for every single statewide office.

And also voted GOP for the State Assembly. For the House (a bizarre contest between two Republicans -- thanks jungle primary), they voted not for the moderate challenger, but for Tom McClintock, one of the fringiest tea partiers in Congress.

Some people voted for Governer fcuking Moonbeam, and Tom fcuking McClintock on the same fcuking ballot. I find that totally baffling.

19. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    It is looking like Madigan is keeping his veto proof Illinois House and the Illinois Senate is 40-19 for the Dems so I don't think Rauner is going to be able to do a lot of stuff he would probably want to do.

20. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Basically, to force Republicans to spend money on campaigning for their guy.

The only people who are surprised are the ones who thought that a huge state that was comfortably red for three decades was all of a sudden going to flip on a statewide basis.

ceezmad, Moishe and DynamoEAR repped this.
  21. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spoiler alert: It wouldn't have made that much difference. Gardner ran toward the middle, made people forget about his actual voting record, and benefited from a horrible Udall campaign that was incapable of seeing how ineffective their single-issue campaign was.

22. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    I'll give my city credit in that it was consistently "blue" on every candidate, Martha Coakley, Moulton, State house, Markey etc.

The county was blue for everything EXCEPT Governor.

Massachusetts dems need to find another Deval Patrick next time. And run some more negative ads.

23. DynamoEAR

DynamoEAR Member+

May 30, 2011
    HoustAtlantaDMV
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @KCFutbol I thought Brownback was going to be toast? :cautious:

24. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Naw, third time's a charm for Martha, right?

25. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If she gets nominated for any state wide office ever again, I'll be convinced it's because she has pictures of prominent backers in compromising positions with farm animals.