The 2012 US Presidential Race Post-Mortem

Discussion in 'Elections' started by American Brummie, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    What the he'll? That's stipend.

Dr. Wankler, luftmensch, Hararea and 2 others repped this.
  2. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Try this

3. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would have been funny at regular speed, slowing it down made it even better.

How does that relate to the video I posted?

4. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesn't. I just like it a lot.

stanger repped this.
  5. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody here want to tell me he's no liberal?

7. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Too bad his rhetoric is a lot more liberal than his actions.

8. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I do believe that you are gloating.

9. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    But Michelle does have a respectable Democratic cloth coat!

10. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crap I said I wouldn't do that.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Alright that allusion goes back a ways.

12. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I will say in defense of AB, that his thesis looks about right. It appears that the GOP got played. Obama kept moving to the middle, the GOP moved further right to distance themselves, and for their pains the GOP lost an election and acquired the reputation of being protesters rather than doers. So now Obama moves back to the left virtually unopposed ... the GOP has vacated the field.

13. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So a massive increase in unaccountable executive power is a move toward "the middle"?

Looking at the spectrum as a straight line doesn't make sense.

14. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Moving the top marginal tax rate threshold to 400K, which almost no one earns, is a move toward the left?

crazypete13 and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  15. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Unfortunately in this country, yes that is the left.

If anything the conservatives have done themselves a favor by moving so far to the right because now the middle ground is just right of center. That means that today's policies are more or less in line with yesterday's conservatives.

Protecting Wall Street from prosecution, Romneycare, protecting tax cut for 99% of the country, the war on drugs, deporting illegal immigrants and drone attacks in the ME are all straight out of the old Republican playbook.

But politics in the US is a slow game. By democrats holding the center today and isolating Republicans on the right eventually they could increase their power to the point where there may be a gradual shift back to the left. You really need to break the Republican party as a viable option for an entire generation and then maybe.

But of course if history teaches us anything it's that the liberals have a knack for squandering their power and popularity when they have it so we could be back to square 1 as early as 2014 when I think the Senate could go back to red.

crazypete13 and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  16. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    it's fuchsia!

17. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if the GOP's problems weren't extreme vs. moderate but longsighted vs. shortsighted...John McCain opposed the nuclear option in 2005 because he said "we'll be in the minority someday, too." President Obama played the long game on the debt ceiling "crisis," the Affordable Care Act, while the Republicans were going for the news cycle. Not to mention that the Republicans were stuck in the "independents are all that matter mindset" without taking into account the fact that the overwhelming majority of indies vote reliably partisan, AND that independent is not a stable indicator like ethnicity (can never change that, really) or age (it only goes up).

18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    As are increased oil drilling, not mentioning climate change, and cutting the number of federal employees over the past 3 years.

Adopting the Republican platform won Obama the election. But not the cooperation of Republicans. So why should he continue to occupy the middle? Might as well move to the left now. There's no more election to worry about and nothing to lose by moving away from the GOP. Every one of them voted against everything he ever proposed anyway.

19. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    I don't understand why he spent four years trying to get them to cooperate with him when it was obvious to most people right from the beginning that they weren't interested in that.

20. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The Republicans in '08 had a fair amount of dealmakers in Washington. I can understand the hope that they might broker a relationship. But not so, the red voters didn't want that happening and those who did work with the President got primaried.

I don't blame the GOP politicians, by and large. I blame the voters from the red states who punish Republicans for being reasonable.

bigredfutbol and Boloni86 repped this.
  21. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    I blame the GOP politicians exclusively. Someone wrote a book a few months ago detailing that the GOP bigwigs held a secret meeting on inauguration night 2009 at which they pledged to obstruct everything Obama proposed, and they did. The first thing they did is vote in a solid block against stimulus, which they had previously had no problem with. Heck, some of them (such as Paul Ryan) even privately wrote to the President asking for stimulus funds while excoriating the wastefulness in public.

I'd have to see a timeline on how health care reform went down, but I would bet anything that the GOP leaders opposed it (it being the mandate they had previously supported) as soon as Obama proposed it, and their moronic base didn't get the pitchforks out until Fox News told them to. The obstructionism was top-down, and the million moron army just provided cover for that policy.

taosjohn and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  22. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I continue to see this and really, I would have had more of a problem if he didn't ask for stimulus money after it had been determined that it was going to be doled out.

23. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yes health care was the giveaway. The President was working with thoroughly GOP ideas, working within the private-market framework, and he got punked for his effort. The health care proposal was the clear sign that the GOP would fight Obama no matter *what* he proposed; the tactic would always be to blockade rather than cooperate.

24. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Here's the book I mentioned:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/25/robert-draper-anti-obama-campaign_n_1452899.html

Frank Luntz is the go-to guy when you want the mouth-breathers to grab their pitchforks, as they did during the health care town halls!

25. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    True... if he were actually against stimulus spending, which he isn't. He was all for it during Bush's first term. He was all for all of Bush's massive spending programs. The point is that he's a hypocrite and he's only against government spending when it's a Democrat proposing it.

fatbastard, GiuseppeSignori and dapip repped this.