The 2011 NBA Playoffs: If you want to crown them, then crown their ass!

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by Playboy Red Devil, Apr 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    If LeBron wins the series, the plot will flip and we'll be talking about how important his sacrifice and defense was.

Is it me or does the media seem to prefer the Mavs underdog script?

I agree - it just feels phony which I think is part of the reason folks are hating on them.

On the subject of Lebron in the 4th quarter, I wonder if he's also afraid to attack the basket because he doesn't want to miss free throws and be the reason they lost.

2. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    No but there is no reason to. The hype around Lebron and what he would do was much bigger because of everything that happened. And again, I was one of the few around here who actually said Miami would do something and be feared while many said they wouldn't do crap. I defended him but his performances when it really matters in the finals have been indefensible.

3. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Well some commentators seem to argue that LeBron can be genuinely afraid of the moment...

I just find that hard to believe. He had none of this timidity when he single-handedly dismantled the Pistons back in '07. How can you regress in terms of fourth-quarter pedigree? Shouldn't that stuff become easier as you get more experienced instead of harder?

4. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Because Kobe's reputation is pretty darn well secured in contrast. Lebron is dominant physically but what's between his ears and in his chest hasn't been proven yet.

5. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Dismantling is different than needing to come up with clutch plays in tight contests - has he done a lot of that? Other than this year against the Celtics - and a few games here and there, I can't remember it.

6. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Well he did score like 25 of the last 28 points in that game and it was a huge moment, swung the series the Cavs' way.

Perhaps he's hiding behind other players because for the first time in his career he has that luxury?

7. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't change my argument at all, as that was what I was saying .... I never meant to discredit his star status. But the comparisons with Mike need to stop until someone actually does something Mike worthy. Pippen is looking sillier and sillier. Another point though is that the media loves to pump up a story. After game 3, Jason Whitlock wrote a column about how the Heat were simply toying with the Mavs and how he thought it likely that the Heat would win the series in five, in Dallas. James was too good. Wade was too good. They were unselfish. They played better defense. James knew when to score and when to simply defer to Wade .... etc, etc, etc. Two games later and Jason Whitlock writes another column. James is now essentially a choker who wasn't prepared (in Whitlock's eyes) for moments like these, maybe because he didn't have a stable home with his mother and father and good college coach like Jordan. Good gracious, how fickle.

8. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Well - he came up small the last 2 seasons I thought -- against the Magic 2 seasons ago and we all remember last year. But it's really curious - mushrooming lack of confidence, trying to defer to much, needs to be on the ball all the time to be good, really good defense - I have no idea.

At the end of the day - he can still turn this all around by winning the next 2.

9. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Well a lot of the media members obviously have as much of a clue as to how this will turn out as we do, but it doesn't stop them from spewing nonsense. Only difference is they actually get paid for it! :p

10. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. And in the process they create controversy. Build up to tear down. If the Heat win the next 2, they will be talking about James' mental toughness to be able to overcome all the naysayers to rise to the occasion. It's all a game. Don't get too caught up in it.

11. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I hope the Mavs win it now, simply for the fact that I don't want Dirk to suffer being on the wrong side of such a comeback twice (so yeah, national allegiance plays a certain role).

12. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    I think most people, not from Miami or close areas, agree with you.

13. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Well, I think if he weren't German I'd simply not care. It usually takes someone like Michael Jordan for the game to make the main news over here (other than the actual result of the final series).

14. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    I'm not doubting that. But if he were German or from Tahiti I think people would still root for him and want Dallas to win. Miami is completely hated.

15. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Have you ever heard bigger nonsense than Wade's explanation about the coughing thing? :rolleyes:

Just have the balls to admit you were mocking him and move the ******** on. They can't even properly play the villain role.

16. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Miami is a disgrace.

17. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Never been happier to be wrong (even though before it started I thought they had a good chance) - what a great series and what a great team.

Barkley's a freakin' genius.

18. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Weird celebration - Nowitzki took off without shaking hands? Guessing he was about to break down emotionally.

19. TBR

TBR Member

Mar 15, 2007
    DMV
    Club:
    CD Aguila
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Congrats to the Mavs for pulling this off. Didn't think they had it in them.

Good to see Nowitzki and Kidd are now champions.

20. Klask

Klask Member+

Jun 7, 2007
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Congratulations to Mavs! I'm happy for Dirk, Kidd, Terry, Marion and rest of the guys who finally got their well deserved ring :)

Heat is an offensive mess with James and Wade out there it's just not working. None of them are consistent jump shooters and that Mavs zone defense was just killing them. They better shuffle up for next season because they are going to see zone defense in 82 games :D

21. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a Cavs fan I say: suck it LeBron! Hahahahahahahaha! :D Classless and a sore loser.

Many congrats to the Dallas Mavericks.

23. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What everyone said from Day One came true.

The Heat don't have a bench. They have a JV supporting cast, and Dallas kicked it up a notch.

I think is it so sweet that the Mavs took the title in Miami's house...

24. I. Tristeza

I. Tristeza Member

Oct 7, 2004
    San Antonio, Texas
    good for Kidd, good for Dirk, and good for Cuban.

And congrats to Rick Carlisle - Dallas played excellent team offense and executed the zone defense like A college squad (that's a compliment).

Still, they'll need 3 more to catch the Spurs....:D

25. I. Tristeza

I. Tristeza Member

Oct 7, 2004
    San Antonio, Texas
    Geez look at Cuban. The city of Miami may make more money tonight with the loss rather than the win.