The 2008 MLS Jersey Thread: Part 2

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by FC Dizzle, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Orange1836

Orange1836 don't believe the hype

Dec 2, 2006
    Houston
    Re: 2008 Jerseys

haha, owned.
    pizza hut and red bull are different, they are stadium name and team ownership respectively. no pizza hut for me.

any major corporation who feels MLS is a smart investment is a-ok in my book. and like he said $200,000 from every jersey sponsorship goes to the league, that means all of us.

2. murtaugh

murtaugh Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Yeah, the league collects their fee and their dealings with the sponsor are essentially complete.

Best Buy has personnel dedicated to the management of the Chicago Fire sponsorship, not any MLS sponsorship. You won't be seeing Best Buy ad boards at KC Wizards-SJ Quakes matches.

3. DinamoTFC

DinamoTFC Member

Jul 9, 2007
    Toronto

[​IMG]

Yea I'm really liking this jersey colour as our away jersey. It's a lot better than that ugly grey crap we have. Plus it looks to nice to be a training uniform - most mls training uniforms look like crap. Also, BMO primary colour is blue, so maybe they had something to do with getting the away/3rd jersey to be blue. I really hope they stick to this one.

4. deltox

deltox Member

Oct 24, 2006
    the blue is just a training jersey.

there will not be a 3rd jersey for a while

ive also seen the in a white shirt and a black one.

but the RED will be the primary jersey and the GREY will still be the secondary jersey.

5. Midnight Attack

Mar 13, 2005
    U.S.A|Jamaica|DCU
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Major props for doing that. Just looking at that you can see that there are way too many white jerseys in the league.....hell could you pm me those templates? I want to try something.

My first thought was Toronto's flag.

6. MarkRFC_

MarkRFC_ New Member

Oct 21, 2007
    Reading, England

I thought the reason for the abundance of white away shirts is because its traditional in other American sports

in Ice Hockey, they even call them "road whites"

7. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Seattle Sounders FC; Arsenal FC
    Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's should be obvious with all those teams going to the same color schemes that Seattle goes green in 2009 and we immediately have the most unique kit in the league.

8. Orange1836

Dec 2, 2006
    Houston

true, but until recently, baseball teams all wore grey for away. just depends on the sport, and in soccer, seems like you get another color for away if the colors clash.

9. Orange1836

Dec 2, 2006
    Houston
    i'm sorry... MOST unique colorscheme?

10. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dallas' blue hoops will have white shorts, not blue.

11. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Right. Typically, American teams will have a colored jersey and a white jersey. It seems that some soccer fans are trying to break all American sport protocal to be more unique.

12. RoundBallNewbie

RoundBallNewbie New Member

Aug 23, 2006
    DC in exile
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has to be a training jersey. It would make no sense to have a change uniform in the same color as the primary uniforms of half the league.

13. MarkRFC_

MarkRFC_ New Member

Oct 21, 2007
    Reading, England
    Well its not like they'll use the blue jersey when playing New England or teams like that :rolleyes:

Red and Blue is perfect as there isn't the need for a 3rd Jersey, with grey it still makes it slightly hard to make out the difference between, for example Dallas and Chivas' home shirts

14. dynamo_gunner

dynamo_gunner Member

Jan 9, 2007
    H-town
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yep. And the only change to the Houston jersey is the star and the new scudetto

15. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only jerseys that Dallas has are a blue and a red jersey. The only jerseys that Chivas has are a blue and a red jersey. It wouldn't be unheard of in MLS.

16. RoundBallNewbie

Aug 23, 2006
    DC in exile
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But both of those are clearly identifiable because of the stripes. Toronto having solid red and solid blue just strikes me as odd since those aren't exactly unpopular color choices around the league. It's doable, but kind of strange as opposed to white or some retina-melting neon shade, both of which offer pretty off-setting options.

Chivas' blue, btw, is actually a third jersey. And I love it because every time they make an apperance it's clear how little they actually use those things: when they pulled them out against Dallas this year, the uniform was in the template that adidas used for the league's 2005 away jerseys.

17. RoundBallNewbie

Aug 23, 2006
    DC in exile
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

White away shirts are the exception in American sports. White is the traditional home color of baseball and basketball. In hockey, "road whites" are an innovation of sorts and only a couple of years old. For several decades whites were worn at home, and the sight of "road whites" is still pretty jarring to a lot of us who watch the NHL.

Only football teams traditionally go white on the road, and even then that's by custom. NFL teams do not technically have "home" and "away" uniforms, just "light" and "dark." Some teams traditionally wear home whites ('Skins, Dolphins, Cowboys, even LSU in college). The decision on which one to wear is actually up to the visiting team. They usually follow custom, but in some cases they'll opt to wear whites on the road against a team that usually wears white at home in an effort to screw with them. This happens to the Cowboys particularly.

I always thought that the primary purpose of road whites in soccer was to the make the teams plainly distinguishable from one another.

18. Jarnevic

Jarnevic BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 21, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I hate when home teams wear white.

Example, KU fans spend millions of dollars every year on Crimson and Blue merchandise. They wear it to the games. Allen Fieldhouse becomes a sea of blue. And what color does the home team wear? White.

Ridiculous.

19. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Cry about it...

20. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

that's because ku is dumb as rocks.

21. Somas of Columbus

Somas of Columbus New Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Quite possibly the funniest post I've read on here to date

22. Shopping Cart Man

Sep 21, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Home teams usually get to choose the uniforms for football. That's why the Jags and all the other outdoor southern teams wear white early in the season when dark uniforms are unbearable. Outside of the Thanksgiving throwbacks, I don't remember the last time that the Cowboys haven't used their white jerseys at home.

23. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The home uni just keeps getting worse for KC IMHO... I think the two tones of blue look bad and the combo with white doesn't help.

That said, I think the new away jersey for the Wizards is an improvement.

25. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I like the jersey, but those white shorts look awkward with that dark blue shirt.