The 2023 U-16 Player Pool Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by David Kerr, Jan 2, 2022.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Doesn’t matter to me that much. I may suggest leaving this open or titling it something like 2022 YNT thread for 2007 Age Group. That’ll make it easier to identify, and then when we get to 2023 we can have a 2023 thread. IMO I’d only title the thread by age group as opposed to birth year, if there’s some immediate big YNT tournament coming up.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  2. Futbolislife

Futbolislife Member

United States
    Apr 12, 2022

3. Futbolislife

Futbolislife Member

United States
    Apr 12, 2022
    Hey gents, enjoying the perspective in this chat. The non-MLS academy comment caught my attention as we have blazed a path out of Stowe VT to the Revs (18 mos including residency, which was a bust) and landed at Barca this winter, and the AZ YNT ID in March…not easy for kids from the smallest soccer markets to find an MLS Next club, academy or otherwise. Basically up to parents to provide a pathway for kids with no local soccer market. Also depends how much kids and parents want to sacrifice to get to the main stage. Barca is one option. Happy to have landed there even with some trade offs like missing GA cup - and MLS MD as they didn’t qualify. But training is where the focus is now and tournaments will come in due time. Son is Conrad Sweatman 2007 the guy losing hair in the MLS Next instagram post a few weeks ago ;) actually also their Valentine’s Day post.

4. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017

5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  6. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, good call. Threads merged.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  7. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Is Berchimas the only 08 in this group?

8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  9. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, per the US Soccer article quoted in the tweet.

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Like always, we know these lower level YNT rosters don’t represent all the best players we can send.

The real prospects here IMO are Pierre, Rivera, White, Anderson, Lumsden, Morales, Worth, Berchimas, Carter, Glover, Gozo, Turner. Don’t know enough about Campagnolo and don’t know anything about Chavira.

Pl@ymaker and TheFalseNine repped this.
  11. Jake Brugger

Jake Brugger Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 8, 2021
    Just for fun, what are some of your guys' full-strength 20-man rosters for this tournament assuming every eligible player is available. I know there are some notable omissions for one reason or another such as Axel Kei, Axel Perez, Maximo Carrizo, Cavan Sullivan, Aaron Heard, etc. who seem to be on many people's lists.

12. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scott Chavira is pretty good but not quite sure about YNT level. I’d expect him to be in San Jose’s academy sooner rather than later given that Breakers are so close

ussoccer97531 and TheFalseNine repped this.
  13. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m not quite sure if Axel Kei is eligible for a call up yet, no other reason for him to not be included if he’s getting matches with RSL again. Axel Perez is a surprising no call, wonder if they want to integrate him into the team first before calling him in. Maximo Carrizo isn’t healthy currently. Cavan Sullivan despite being talented isn’t ready to play up 2 years at the YNT level, just MLS Next. Aaron Heard isn’t eligible by a couple weeks

Snubs (in order of numerical position not by prospect rating):
    Dylan Auffret, GK - LAFC
    Drew Baiera, RB - NYCFC
    Christian McFarlane, LB - NYCFC
    Chris Guillien, RCB - Houston Dynamo
    Maximo Nystrom, LCB - Portland Timbers (injured?)
    Andrew Craig, LCB - Philadelphia Union
    Nicholas Nobles LCB - Chicago Fire
    Stiven Jimenez, DM - FC Cincinnati
    JJ Vozar, DM - Columbus Crew
    Aaron Hurge, CM - Columbus Crew
    Zach Mastrodimos, CM - Philadelphia Union
    Axel Perez, AM - Lyon
    James Arteaga, AM - LAFC
    Etienne Veillard, W - Seattle Sounders
    Jonathan Shore, W - NYCFC
    Charlie Rosenthal, W - LAFC
    Axel Kei, ST - RSL (eligible?)
    Diego Rocio, ST - Philadelphia Union
    Justin Ellis, ST - Inter Miami
    Dempsey Resich, ST - LAFC

Jake Brugger and TheFalseNine repped this.
  14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    The best prospect on the roster IMO (Luis Rivera) is also a late December birthday.

Maximum Optimal repped this.
  15. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    He was one of the three I couldn't find birthdates for. The other two are Chavira and Pierre. Even if those are second half birthdates it is a 17 to 3 ratio. Crazy.

16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Best 20 would be difficult, but I’ll give it an effort.

Goalies: Ty Rinker, Gavin Atkinson

This is one of the weaker positions for the 07’s. Don’t think that there are that many good keepers. Jacob Molinaro is probably next IMO, but the ‘08 Aidan Stokes may be worth a shout.

Defenders: Drew Baiera, Jayden Quezada, Luis Rivera, Myles Nicholes, Ben Manfroy, Andrew Craig

IMO Baiera is the clear best RB and Rivera the clear best LB. If only 3 fullbacks, Baiera can play both sides, so I’d add another RB. Quezada, Jeremiah White, Tyler Austin, and Tyson Pearce are all right around the same level, but I’d lean Quezada for now. LB is difficult for the others if Rivera is the only left footer. I also like Christian McFarlane and Tyler Bush, but there’s a big gap between Rivera and everyone else.

CB depth is ridiculous. The third and fourth strong guys are very good. Next group are guys like Maddox Brown, Leo Christiano, Victor Fung, Maximo Nystrom, Luke Munson, Christopher Cupps (‘08). I could name another 5-10 who are good prospects. If this year doesn’t produce some CB’s for us, we’re in trouble.

DM/CM: DeCarlo Guerra (‘08), Nelson Hernandez, Kyrome Lumsden

I think the #6 position is the weakest for the 07’s. There aren’t many real prospects, aside from Uba Ibeanu, Jose Magana, Nathan Gray, Stefan Chirila, and Henry Bernstein. The latter two may not even be best as #6’s, so Guerra is miles ahead of the other DM’s, even as an ‘07.

Nelson Hernandez is the best #8, and by a long way. He’s one of the top players in the ‘07 age group IMO. The next group of 07’s is very close between Lumsden, Nate Worth, Aaron Hurge, Snyder Brunell, along with the two Union kids I mentioned for the #6 position. Lumsden is probably the best combination of upside and versatility in what he brings.

AM/Wing: Maximo Carrizo (‘08), Zavier Gozo, Nimfasha Berchimas (‘08), Angel Franco

I don’t know enough about Perez’ current level to include him. Sullivan, I wouldn’t include him. I wouldn’t say selecting him is egregious. He’s better already than a number of players on the roster we got today, but let’s give the 07’s (and 08’s) a shot before going straight to the 09’s. In an extended camp or over the course of a year where a lot of players get a chance, I may call him in, but I also don’t like the idea of players playing up so many years at this age either.

Next few for me here would be Tobias Crear, Gavin Turner, Grayson Carter, and potentially Lucas Moisa (‘08). Crear may even be deserving of being on the 20, but I’ve only seen him play once and he’s playing outside of MLS Next currently. I’d lean more towards the players whose games I know better.

CF’s: Justin Ellis, Axel Kei, Tomo Allen

Another very deep position. Anthony Pena, Ashton Gordon, and Caden Glover are all top level CF prospects, and even guys like Charlie Rosenthal and Ruben Ramos are pretty good. Ellis IMO is the top ‘07. I could make an argument for Hernandez, but I think I’d decide against it for the time being. So it’s a question of who are the next two. Kei and Allen haven’t had the best six months (for very different reasons), but I still buy that both are very good prospects and better than the others I named.

Full Team:

GK: Ty Rinker, Gavin Atkinson
    DF: Drew Baiera, Jayden Quezada, Luis Rivera, Myles Nicholes, Ben Manfroy, Andre Craig
    MF: DeCarlo Guerra (‘08), Nelson Hernandez, Kyrome Lumsden, Maximo Carrizo (‘08), Nimfasha Berchimas (‘08), Angel Franco
    FW: Justin Ellis, Axel Kei, Tomo Allen

XI:

Rinker
    Baiera-Nicholes-Manfroy-Rivera
    Guerra-Hernandez
    Berchimas-Carrizo-Franco
    Ellis

Jake Brugger, Pl@ymaker and TheFalseNine repped this.
  17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Sorry, not late December, but looks to be December 1, 2007.

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I should’ve also named Joah Reyna. He’s another one of the other options that deserves consideration in the AM/Wing positions.

Winoman, Pl@ymaker and gogorath repped this.
  19. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    #94 SUDano, Apr 20, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
    I have seen many but not all and really don't have any disagreements but one. I saw all the online LAFC games and Dempsey Resich just isn't up to the level. I was surprised he started over Rosenthal but heard Rosenthal was on a pitch count coming back from injury. Rosenthal is so much a better player. Resich is the old school US player you root for who hustles or at least looks like he's hustling his arse off due to his running style because his limbs are all over the with his head tilted back and bouncing all over. His first touch is poor, he ran into double teams constantly when he had open teammates, tried to play hero ball trying to take defenders on, not a good passer nor decision maker. Thought he was the worst player on the team quite frankly. I SMH when he picked up the ball for PK vs Portland because he missed a few sitters. Missed PK and single handily lost that game by not going up 2-0 late in the game. Just surprised he's on your list.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  20. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For a kid just coming into the team from the ECNL level he was more raw compared to the other levels but offensively had a ton of impact in the matches I was at even compared to the other LAFC attackers. I’m looking forward to seeing how he develops now full time in an MLS academy environment

TheFalseNine and SUDano repped this.
  21. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I hope you're right. He just doesn't move like a soccer player with a certain economy of movement. Which in a unique way allows very good soccer players have good technique and absorb the ball with their foot lightly and take touches away from defenders. He looks like one of those very good athletes like a baseball player, or ski boarder, or golfer who dabbles in soccer. I think he greatly benefits from being surrounded by a full team of better players. You say raw and I saw raw as poor. We'll see.

22. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    an epithet for the ages

SUDano repped this.
  23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I’m with @SUDano. It’s possible Reisch amounts to something. I don’t know much about him, but I wasn’t that impressed. He scored a few goals, but I didn’t think his skillset looked too great. If an LAFC striker is involved for this team, it should be Rosenthal.

SUDano repped this.
  24. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Rosenthal as more of a 7/11 instead of a 9 where he can use his killer speed on the touch line to punish back lines. I rate Charlie higher than Dempsey as well

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Fair enough. I can see that. Philosophically, I prefer these types of players (and Rosenthal is a pace merchant) at CF because I think these 1v1’s are more successful when you are going against CB’s than fullbacks. For instance, I view Tim Weah as a CF, even though most think he’s a winger.

SCSAutism, David Kerr and TheFalseNine repped this.