The 2005 MLS Combine Players List :: DC United Edition

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    You are right Todd, he was a freshman at West Virginia.

The other Carroll, Jeff is a junior at St. John's!

2. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    The whole family is blessed with great talent.

I would say at this point that Jeff is much more ready to make the transition to MLS, and I'm sure he wouldn't mind playing close to home and with his brother.

3. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Weirdly enough- no. And his real name?- "Boyzzz Khumalo".

Straight outta Soweto.

BTW Boyzzz is 25 years old as of next year. The Doctor is only 13 years older.

I have found no record of him ever playing on any (youth) national team in South Africa but that may be because he's been in america for awhile now. To further run this thing to the ground, he's Coastal Carolina's #10- literally- leading the team with 16 assists. I say we trade Gomez for a future 157th round pick, waive Adu and give this guy the keys....

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Yeah, but they have to take paycuts to come to MLS. :p

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Actually, Boyzzz is his nickname. Thabiso is his first name.

And, Boyzzz is pronounced like the capital of Idaho. He had a very solid summer in the PDL and reportedly is a good passer in central midfield. However, I suspect his age making him too old to be a Transitional International will limit his opportunities in MLS.

6. bigbearsmfl

bigbearsmfl New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    you must be a Michigan fan. Sorry....

7. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    I think Matt Oliver has an opportunity to become a very good player. He has good speed and athletic ability. Downside, he needs better ball distribution.

I haven't seen Matt play this year, but I've seen him several times over the past year - so perhaps this has improved.

Sandon - your opinion?

8. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Oh yeah, he looked great for the CFR, but he also had Julian Nash, Chris Rolfe, and Vedad Ibesevich (sp?) playing up top. I thought that he had a great touch though, much better than the average MLSer.

9. elconejito

elconejito Member

Dec 24, 2002
    Where Homer Lives
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he entering the draft early? I would figure brother Jeff would enter the draft first since he's a few years older.

IIRC, my brother saw Brother Pat play while still in HS, and said he was completely different from the other brothers. He was the least skilled, yet most physical of the trio. Brother Jeff was the most skilled, playing a traditional #10 at West Springfield (I did see him play) even tho last I heard he was playing defense at St. Johns. Brother Brian seems to be a combo of the two.

There is always one brother who is better than the others. The question is did we get the best Carroll? or is the best yet to come?

10. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Jeff is still holding down the defense in New York, and you're right about Pat. He is a big, strong, physical player with good speed and still good skill with the feet. He also has a very accurate long ball with both feet, and is a good passer when he decides to keep the ball on the floor.

11. sckrmom

sckrmom New Member

Jul 17, 2003
    Gainesville, VA
    It doesn't seem as if any comment from me in needed - everyone here seems to have a wealth of info. on the boys already!!!

12. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    I think your evaluation of Oliver is correct. He is a destroyer but adds nothing to the attack except on a few set pieces. IMO his possession skills (or lack of them) will prevent him from having a successful pro career. He's a fifth year season and is basically the same player he was as a freshman, there has been no P-40 interest although he's been All-ACC, made a few All-American teams and a Herman candidate and that should say something.
    I would have said the same things about Kenny Arena a couple of years ago but he surives in the league and with the 2005 expanded rosters in MLS, who knows? I think it's safe to say Matt will not be a high pick in the draft but could stick on a developmental roster somewhere.

13. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    ... bump ...

14. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hard to figure out how he still has time to sing the Irish songs at Murphy's.

Lovely!

15. Colonial717

Colonial717 New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    Well considering Knave bumped it to get people talking and I know nothing of the superdraft aside from watching the NCAA soccer championship on espn i figure i will ask some questions. Who is projected to go in the first round, why, and which teams would pick em? Basically who are going to be the front runners for the rookie of the year, but will probably sit on the bench the whole year. And second, and really more important who will still be available when we get up to bat and why do we want them?

16. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999
    11PM ET on FSW is the UVA v. UMD ACC final. It was a good game and you'll get a glance at several of the possible players that will be drafted. I know that DCUnited is interested in a couple of players on both sides.

17. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    Dom Mediate. Please? :)

18. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    I suggest you keep an eye out for Jamie Holmes. I played with his uncle and with him a couple of times when he was back in the area from break and he is damn good. A big kid with speed and skill. Has been a top 5 scorer the past 2 years or so. This year he scored 18 goals in 19 games for 4th best in the counry and last year he had 17 in 18 games which was a tie for 3rd best. He doesn't get too many assists. He hasn't received much attention nationally probably because he played at Birmingham Southern, but I think he could play in MLS

19. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159121
    Here is a link that I started on MLS-General to discuss many of the items that you mention - O'Rourke-M-Inidiana is currently the popular pick to be the #1 overall pick.

With more and more names being bantered about as possible going P40, DC's pick at #16 could get them a solid centerback (Stewart - Notre Dame), solid right side defender/midfielder (Klaas - Washington), solid left side defender (Segares - VCU who would be a Transitional International to go along with Quintanilla and Kuffour), local favorite (Mediate - Maryland) or one of the last P40s on the board.

Here is another post that I included in that thread which mocks out the 1st round.

If I had to mock out the 1st round, it would be as follows with the usual premium placed on P40 players due to their exempt $ from the salary cap:

1 RSL - Watson [P40] - F - UNC
    {the poll does not indicate that this will be the pick but I have to think that Ellinger will want a ex-U17 player who is a young forward to groom behind Kreis and Mathis}

2 Chivas - Lopez - D - UCLA or Borja - D - US17 (if he goes P40)
    {Chivas will draft a Mexican-based American or a native Southern Californian based on their Expansion Draft selctions. They would probably draft both of these players if Borja goes P40}

3 CHI - Moor [P40] - D - Indiana
    {Even though CHI drafted Griffin and Clanton last year, I do not seem them passing on a player who is better than both of them, plus they lost Whitfield and Perez in the off-season}

4 DAL - Freeman [P40] - M - UVA
    {DAL could use a player who can help on the D and M flanks as those positions (other than RM with O'Brien) have been revolving doors for them}

5 SJ - Barrett [P40] - F - UCLA
    {No Donovan, Walker, Brown, and probably DeRosario - SJ needs forwards to go along with Ching}

6 NE - Zayner [P40] - D - Indiana
    {NE lost Pierce and Howey - Llamosa is one more injury away from retirement - they really need central defenders as John is their only one}

7 LA - O'Rourke - M - Indiana
    {Sampson loves the defensive midfielders and O'Rourke could start if Saragosa does not return}

8 COL - Pore [P40] - F - Tulsa
    {COL needed forwards even before Spencer retired}

9 LA - Parkhurst [P40] - D - Wake Forest
    {LA needs some younger defenders as injury and WCQ cover}

10 CHI - Kirk [P40] - M - US17
    {Local kid stays home like Gaven did with the Metros}

11 KC - Thompson - F - Maryland
    {KC does not have much at F other than Wolff and Arnaud. Wolff is likely to miss games with USMNT WCQ if the players and USSF argee on a contract}

12 MET (pick may go to DAL in Vaca trade) - Cameron - F - Michigan
    {MET keep DC pick and give up a 1st and 2nd next year so that they can draft the NYC player that gives them a big body up front to go along with their smaller forwards - assuming that he does not sign with Greek team}

20. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like Oliver could be a decent 4th rounder for DCU to close the Superdraft - he is a local lad who could sign as a developmental player and provide some more size and depth on the backline.

21. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think that the players of interest by draft category are (given DCU's likely draft picks in the 2nd and 4th round - there is a chance that the Scum will not take this year's #1 pick for Moreno but I do not see the Scum bypassing a chance to add to their muddled roster):

* Need to Move Up to 1st Round to Draft
    VA - D/M - Hunter Freeman (likely P40)
    MD - F - Abe Thompson
    MD - F - Jason Garey (although it does not look like he will go P40)

* Potential 2nd Rounder
    MD - M - Domenic Mediate

* Potential 4th Rounders
    VA - D - Matt Oliver
    VA - M - Mike Littlefield
    MD - W - Ian Rodway

* Potential Developmental Players
    MD - G - Noah Palmer

22. SeeJay07

SeeJay07 New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Anybody hear how F Chad Severs (PSU) has done or any predictions for his draft status? He is a really talented player from South Jersey...I played against him in a few tournaments and he's always been a very dangerous player.

23. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Would love to have Hunter - but not really realistic given our draft position.

Don't want. Seems to get lost; may be a better withdrawn forward.

This guy looks like a player. Don't thing he's coming out - so nevermind

Oh gawd, please no. Lot of speed, talent, has a horrible work rate.

* Potential 4th Rounders

I'd be willing to take a flyer on him. See above. Good defender - just know that you're not going to get much out of him with his passing. short term solution.

If this is the same guy that was playing fwd last year, think he started at AU (or another DC school). He has terrific jumping ability and a interesting tenaciousness that I find appealing. With our lack of height amplified with the loss of Nelsen (and to a lesser extent EZ), I wonder how he would fit in the back - big, big, big risk, but Vermes wound up going to the back (think about how Vermes played earlier in his career (maybe a bad example).

In a word, no. Nice college player, not as talented as Buete (who I don't have a high opinion of (in MLS - not college).

* Potential Developmental Players
    I don't think so. Lacks athletic ability.

24. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    So, in other words, no Maryland players, but any Virginia player?

;)

25. CPRoyale

CPRoyale New Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Adams Morgan
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States