The 2003 MLS Cup Playoffs • DC United Edition • [-R-]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Seventeen minutes into the 2003 playoffs and the Scum are down a goal at home.

So far, so good. ;)

Flame and troll as warranted.

2. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hahahahahahaha

hey knave.. pbp chat info thread? just wondering, its normally up by now. the games in 2 hours.

3. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    It's not normally up two hours before a match. Maybe an hour. But I was thinking I should start a pre-PBP chat for the antsy and nervous.

4. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    See what you get for selling your soul to the devil, Bradley?

Fabbro scores on you.

5. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i agree

6. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Mutts lose 2-0...according to mlsnet, there were only 10,211 cases of MPF at the swamp today.

7. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Well, at least the Metros are dead.

8. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    A Silver Lining To Today

The Metros are out of the playoffs as well. They still haven't won a thing.

9. RFK224

RFK224 New Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Woodbridge,Va.
    Yes indeed.Despite the dissapointment today there is a reason to smile.

10. Darth_Norteno

Darth_Norteno New Member

Ha-ha. MetroScum Playoff Failure rears its beautiful head. Hubris can be a beautiful thing sometimes. Time to lend my support to New Wales for the second year in a row.

11. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    The Galaxy scum go up by two and then give up FIVE unanswered goals ... and get knocked out of the playoffs.

Ha ha! :D

12. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Could we see an All-DC United-Assistants final? Well in addition to Sarachan cleaning our clock, Yallop just pulled an Arena and came back from a 4 aggregate goal deficit to beat the Galaxy ... and I couldn't be happier for Yallop. :) If there's any solace, it's that LA will not win a second MLS Cup. If someone has to win a second MLS Cup (and unless the Revolution win their first it's going to happen), then I'd rather it be either Chicago or San Jose. Goose deserves another ring.

-Digital

13. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Damn straight. I think both teams proved over the course of the season that they were in the best in the league and both deserve a second title.

14. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    A Chicago - Earthquakes final would be great fun. I'd have to root for the Earthquakes in that matchup though ... wouldn't it be nice to see the Quakes win the first MLS Cup played in the LA Galaxy's home stadium? Talk about rubbing it in ... :)

I'll tell ya' ... DC United may not have been much to look at this year and, of course, we were eliminated from the playoffs the same round as LA. But that's a special kind of pathetic for LA ... to blow a 4-0 aggregate with 70 minutes left. And at least we won a game on the road!

15. futbolrey

futbolrey New Member

Dec 20, 2002
    Burke, Va
    if chicago wins its second mls cup? does that make chicago the most successful team in mls surpassing dc united. correct me if i'm wrong but wouldn't chicago have more soccer titles than dc united?

16. gnat

gnat New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    I was depressed, but...

I figured we would loose overall, I love the team but i'm a realist :), but I was hoping we would put up a fight.

Oh well, at least the Muts didn't advance either and that's the important part to me :)

Now while I thought our showing in the play-offs was terrible, I think being up 4-0 on your conf champs, and then blowing it all is truly worse than even we could have done.

At the very least (not that we had anything to do with it) we are still the only team to have back to back Cups.

Hopefully my pointless opinion will offer a lit daylight to someone elses dark day too.

-gnat

17. Jimjamesak

Jimjamesak New Member

May 3, 2003
    Anchorage Alaska
    I know we didn't have much of a chance, but I'm a cubs fan so I know all about optimism and stuff. We have 3 stars unlike everybody else and we'll be back next year. United!

18. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Tough call, depends on what you call a title.

98 Open Cup
    98 MLS Cup
    2000 Central Division
    2000 Open Cup
    2001 Central Division
    2003 Open Cup
    2003 Supporter's Shield

DCU has 3 MLS Cups, Open Cup, Best record in 97 (Supporter's Shield), Interamerican Cup, Supporter's Shield in 99, and I'm sure there are some Division titles in there I'm too lazy to think about right now, so like I said, it just depends on what one considers a title.

19. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    I watched the game last night, that was an incredible comeback!

San Jose did not panic and stuck to their game plan. It also helped that there were some timely substitutions which turned out to be deciding factor.

Yes it would be nice if Agoos gets another ring.

20. Darth_Norteno

Darth_Norteno New Member

YOU ARE WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!1

Chicago:
    1 MLS Cup
    3 Open Cups
    1 Supporters' Shield

DCU:
    3 MLS Cups
    1 Open Cup
    1 CONCACAF Champions Cup
    1 InterAmerican Cup

21. Allan Quatermain

Oct 23, 2001
    The Lost City of Gol
    Club:
    DC United
    Say what you will ...

Say what you will about our team. We're a pretty mediocre squad. Our best defender was out the entire year, and otherwise our bid for respectability hinged on a banged-up player who has been laid up for the better part of the last few seasons (Ben Olsen). And it seems that our coach has had plenty of opportunities over two years to shape his squad the way he wants, and has left us with a crummy team. OK. Fair enough.

But at least we are not the authors of the biggest choke, the most ignominious collapse, the most embarrassing and shocking and humiliating defeat in the eight-year history of MLS.

That (dis)honor belong to the LA Galaxies with their disastrous performance last night.

Talk about devastation.

Now, they already held the record for worst choke, which they earned against us in the final 18 minutes of the first MLS Cup.

They outdid themselves last evening.

So as bad as we were, there was still some good that came out of yesterday.

AQ

22. JeffGMc

JeffGMc Member

Oct 14, 2000
    New York City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Don't forget the DC Supporter's Shields in 97 (there was no such thing at the time, but it was earned) and 99.

23. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    As bad as we feel right now, can you imagine how suicidal this board would be if we would have taken Chicago 2-0 last weekend at RFK, put two past Thornton early on at Soldier Field, then watched them give up five unanswered goals?

And can you imagine how many felony charges Hristo would be facing right now?

And can you imagine how hard Hudson would have sobbed at the post-game press conference?

*Shudders*