The 136 situation

Discussion in 'Sons of Ben' started by ToonArmy5, Oct 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToonArmy5

ToonArmy5 Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Warminster
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    First off, tonight sucked. The play was terrible and the river end stood around quietly for way too long.

Second, these dudes in the middle rows of 136 need to shut the hell up. I'm in 136 as well and I dont mean this as a personal attack because i say hello and talk to them every game and they are all cool dudes. That said, they need to stop. We are there to cheer for the union and watch soccer. We do not need numerous chants about how your friend put on 85 shirts and you dont need to tell everyone that "136 aint nothin to f*ck wit" because you think you are bad asses after doing the YSA chant.

You are ruining the game for people around you, and now I'm fed up since you ruined me and my friends time tonight. I dont give a ******** that someone is chugging a beer and you decide to start a chant with your drum. Me, and everyone else are concerned with the soccer game and the chants being led by the capos....except we cant hear it thanks to douche bags in our section.

Please do not renew your tickets, or at least get your heads out of your asses.

2. jess370

jess370 Member+

Feb 14, 2008
    collingswood
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I couldn't agree more, I'm in the front row, half of Row A stood silent, and then you have the middle sections that act like a bunch of god damn frat boys and do whatever they want.

They don't care that the actions of that group make us as a whole look like assholes.

And on another note, I'm getting Nakazawa's jersey next game, but with that being said. Think about everyone around you, and the people that have been with the SOB's for years trying to get a team and ******** off or grow up.

3. SmashtheVan

SmashtheVan Member+

Jan 13, 2009
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yea, this is what we got going in 139, but instead of the fratboys doing whatever they want, they start giving the ones who are trying to get everyone on the same page shit and openly put down the sons of ben as a whole every occasion they get.

4. ToonArmy5

ToonArmy5 Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Warminster
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Yeah the front of 136 sucks too. Its bad man, I'm in the 3rd row so I look forward and watch them stand there doing nothing while being just in front of the assholes causing the problems.

Are you the one I talked to before the game about kyle's jersey not fitting you?

5. alessandro2016

May 23, 2006
    I'm in 136 (Row E). I'm not one of the "frat boys" but I enjoyed the 85 shirts. You may enjoy following the capos lead on everything, but when something organic and unplanned begins, it can be enjoyable. There have been some funny chants that have come out of 136.

For sure there are problems. The continuation of YSA is disconcerting. There are quite a few quiet individuals. But I would suggest that if you have a problem with 136 and the "frat boy" mentality, then you should consider moving to a different section. Because not EVERYONE agrees with you. I have sat in other sections and I prefer the more rowdy atmosphere that is present in 136.

6. jess370

jess370 Member+

Feb 14, 2008
    collingswood
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    That would be me, yeah I know it isn't going to fit. But he surf's I try to surf...and I like 13 so it works, but yeah I figured it wouldn't fit. And I won't have everyone else fighting to get it like a Mwanga, LeToux or Calif jersey.

7. sober_Irishman

sober_Irishman New Member

May 20, 2009
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From my view in 132 I lol'd at the shirt thing. For what it's worth I brought some people new to soccer and they were blown away by the River End.

8. jess370

jess370 Member+

Feb 14, 2008
    collingswood
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nobody is trying to stop our section from starting something like that, that isn't what this is about. It is about the group of people that after the emails went out, and the Elders have been asking to stop with YSA and the chants with the F bomb in them, that we still have them coming out from 136. It makes everyone as a whole look bad, and Veit was in the river end when people were doing it at the last home game, stuff like that isn't good at all.

Honestly I don't want those guys to never come back, I just hope we can get them on the same page because they do bring alot of energy to the game, some of it is just counter productive. The people I hope don't come back are the casual fans that just stand around silently watching the game.

9. ToonArmy5

ToonArmy5 Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Warminster
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    it was funny...the first time. by the 3rd and 4th while we are trying to do other things it just becomes yet another obstacle.

also i prefer the rowdy atmosphere too, however i am a member of the sons of ben first. i follow the capos because thats what we do. that doesn't mean we cant be rowdy while doing our thing.... but if these guys are in the river end simply to be rowdy then i'm sure the eagles have a few open seats for an upcoming game.

i told you man go for toni stahl!

10. jess370

jess370 Member+

Feb 14, 2008
    collingswood
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Gonna need your help on that then dude :D

11. alessandro2016

May 23, 2006
    This I agree with. If YSA stopped, I would have no problem with these guys at all. We need more people that are willing to be energetic for a full 90.

12. ToonArmy5

ToonArmy5 Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Warminster
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    me and toni are tight...consider it done

13. Crudson

Crudson New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    The collective atmosphere of the River End is what makes our supporters great. I am in 137 right next to 136 and it's a little too frattish and fragmented in the middle there. Energy and excitement...good!...but dial it down a shade and work with the rest of TRE. Lack of a 136 Capo has been a problem for a while, just to bridge the gap from Lorenzo et al. at the front of 137.

14. ofeydofey

ofeydofey BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 6, 2010
    Cinnaminson
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too much atmosphere... got it!

15. dmisf

dmisf New Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    137 has to lead more/better chants. These msg boards are filled with great chant ideas. We need official match day songsheets emailed in the SOB almanac, passed out at Tailgates AND in the Riverend.

136 was especially rowdy tonight because our official chants are now mostly 'we love it', and 'clap clap Philadelphia'. The YSA is gone, but replace with what??? more cheering????? WE CAN DO BETTER. We stopped the "Come on union score a goal' and replaced it with what????

All that potential to blast Beck, Landon, and LA was missed except for the 'spice up your life' call (which was awesome).

I know the capos are working hard to get us organized. With better chants (indv ones for our players and taunts against opponents) and more organization in making sure all SOB's are aware of the day's specific chants, then the goofs in 136 (WHO KICK BUTT--but please stop swearing) will use more of their energy for the common good.

cheers

16. nevernight

nevernight New Member

May 28, 2009
    Coatesville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sit right in the area you guys are talking about, 136, Row J, seat 21.

First of all, you should probably know that for the start of the game, myself, and several other people around us were trying to quiet the YSA chants. It wasn't until we got harassed by Union security over the whole shirt thing that it became universal. Because if they're gonna put it repeatedly on the video board and encourage it, and not send anyone up there to tell us to stop, then 10 minutes after the fact send wave after wave of people to come up there and threaten us for the next 20 minutes, and treat us the way they did, then yeah, ******** them. That's what made the YSA chants so loud by the end.

As for the shirt thing, sorry if you didn't like it, but there's no way I'm gonna say that was bad.

And you know what? If you guys in 136 don't like what we do, make some ********ing noise. Half the section sits on their hands and doesn't open their mouths. At least we're doing something. Maybe if you got some momentum in the section for the other chants, then they'd happen all the time. This especially goes for the people in front. Most of you don't cheer. We can see this. And yet, you're the ones who can see the capo. We often don't know what's going on because the chants are all originating from the back, where a lot of people can't see or hear the chants. The way it is, most of the section has no capo leading them, and can't see the one guy that actually tries to face us. I sit way over on the 137 side of the section, and half the time the chants don't even get to me. There's a reason why most of the back half of 136 identifies more with that mentality than the mentality of the songs being done as a whole. They're gonna follow what the guy with the drum in Row H is doing, or follow similar people, because they have no one else to look to. If you sit in the front and don't like what we do, you should be trying to get the people around you to be loud with what you want. That'd help a lot. Maybe you wouldn't hear 10 of us telling someone to chug if the rest of the section was making some noise. There's no way that shouldn't be drowned out for everyone except the people in the immediate area. But it isn't.

And for the record, the driving force keeping YSA going is not the people in my area, it's a group more toward the middle back of the section. At no point this entire season have they stopped it. Some of the people around me do it, others don't and try to stop them. Until the 2nd half of tonight, I had been in that "try to stop them" camp since we've been trying to change things.

And the people in the area you're talking about? We all renewed. So if you don't want us there, ******** you, deal with it.

17. SJUnion

SJUnion Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Union Land
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I'm not a season ticket holder but I was in Row A of 136 and while I cant speak for everyone I don't have much of a voice this morning. I yelled as loud as I could.

18. Mtshark

Mtshark Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    FC Luzern
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I'm pretty sure the issue was not the shirt guy or the people tossing shirts to him. The issue came up when some A-hole decided to toss a shirt on to the field. I don't think anybody saw where it came from, so they went to the most likely source.

I don't see the issue people have with that pocket, they are mostly in tune with what everybody else is doing and are quick to fill periods of silence. Of course that interferes with what the main capos are doing, but none the less. the RE is supposed to be rowdy, loud, and supportive of the team and they do that.

Now for the Pricks who throw stuff on to the field, please don't come back until you grow up a bit.

19. nevernight

nevernight New Member

May 28, 2009
    Coatesville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were up there before that shirt got thrown. But yes, I completely agree with that part. Anyone throwing shirts on the field, there's clearly no place for that. At the end of the game, there was a group a couple rows behind me talking about throwing all the shirts on the field, and I yelled at them not to.

20. Mtshark

Mtshark Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    FC Luzern
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    So, rows J are too loud in the wrong way, the front row is too quiet.. wait a minute, the 3rd row? isn't that the row where people sit? Oh and isn't that the row where we hassled the douche bag in to leaving after about 10 minutes because he was being a.. well douche?

I think 136 is always loony, mostly rowdy, sometimes organized, rarely quiet and I wouldn't want to sit anywhere else. But hey that's just me

21. SJUnion

SJUnion Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Union Land
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    From what I could see there were three to four shirts thrown. (Not all in our section) One that I remember landing on the pitch. Security got pretty riled up after that. I feel like their tone changed and shortly there after we got last call on Alcohol; dunno if there was a connection there.

Personally I thought the guys up there were a riot...my only critisism is that it was distracting when plays were actually developing on the field. But honestly...it didn't stop me from putting my attention where I wanted it to be.

I think people should stop worrying so much about how others enjoy the game and put all their energy into how THEY want to enjoy the game. Draw the line at things that matter...like violence, intimidation, throwing things on the field. Thats the kind of things we should be worried about enforcing as a group.

22. jess370

jess370 Member+

Feb 14, 2008
    collingswood
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I don't get what happened this year with the front row of 136, they are great seats and large portions of them rarely have the same people sitting in them from game to game.

I love my section, the dude with his fingers all taped up carries the tempo the entire game, how many other sections can say they have a drummer that does that? Nobody wants to stop the unique chants that have come out of the section we just need to stamp out the YSA. And really if you are on bigsoccer talking about this, you aren't the problem anyway.

23. HODJA

HODJA New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    PPL Section 105
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pardon the intrusion, but this. very much this.

I think a lot of the arguments that have arisen on the boards is because people lose sight of this. There are certainly legitimate disagreements between what people want TRE to be, but in the end, if you're on these boards, you're generally not the problem.

24. SJUnion

SJUnion Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Union Land
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I sat up there last two games but I'm not the season ticket holder. I would kill to get those seats for the season. Awesome view. I would likely need some sort of surgery to repair my vocal cords after a season there. The drummer is great, just wish it was louder!

25. nevernight

nevernight New Member

May 28, 2009
    Coatesville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really, really think the biggest problem is that the majority of the section doesn't have a capo they can see. I think if one were positioned, say, halfway up between 136 and 137, and then there were more on the 135 side of 136, it would help a lot. There's a huge disconnect due to this lack, and that's a big problem. It shouldn't be hard to find people who'd volunteer in these roles. I think a lot of people in the middle of the section and towards the back can't hear the chants a lot of the time and have no one to look to, which is why they feel no accountability for doing the YSA chant and feel less of a reason to stop. It's also often why we start our own chants. It's no fun waiting for a chant to be an entire verse in before we can make out what it is and join in. We don't wanna just stand quietly and strain to hear what it is.