Luca Before You Leap: de la Torre at Celta Vigo

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 25, 2013.

?

What should we rename the Luca de la Torre thread?

1. Luca’s Labour’s Lost? de la Torre at Celta Vigo

10 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. My name is Luca, I live in the Second Team: De La Torre at Celta Vigo

17 vote(s)
    18.5%
  3. Luca's Labour (not) Lost: Luca de la Torre at Celta Vigo

14 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. Luca Before you Leap: Luca de la Torre at Celta Vigo

51 vote(s)
    55.4%
  1. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Am I the only one that found the last clip on that video to be a pretty poor play? The defense at first was good and the dribbling was fine, but then he gave the ball away with a poor pass when he was breaking out with numbers up in transition.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #827 m vann, Sep 27, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    Mind you it wasn’t a great pass but also consider the run of the receiving player. That’s the bigger sin, IMO. The runner realizes he could be offside, stutter steps, appears to want to go inside, slightly changes direction and goes outside. Once he goes outside he doesn’t bend his run enough to run onto the ball. That whole movement throws LDLT off and the pass is too hard, too direct and not angled enough. If that runner bends that run and gets a slightly better pass from LDLT (with the GK charging out and the CB going towards ball) he could skip a pass over for the runner down the middle to have an empty netter.

WheezingUSASupport and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. Undoubtedly the case. Italian CL playing clubs have been buying players from Heracles for bargain prices, who turned out to be winners. One of them is dual nationality (Dutch/German) right back Gosens. Already when he was in Heracles'first team I wanted Koeman to select him before incompetent Löw would wake up. Alas Koeman did wait long enough for Löw to cap him.
    The Eredivisie simply is monitored by the top clubs of the big leagues from Ajax to our relegation endangered clubs.

ChicagoVT, The Irish Rover and DirectK repped this.
  4. What also helps of course is when he pops up in team of the week's more thann once.

5. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that it means anything but his tweet was liked by the USMNT twitter account. Or maybe it’s a sign he’s getting called up. Who knows.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  6. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the actual every touch:

The performance looks pretty poor when highlights aren't cherry-picked. A lot of over-dribbling, poor spacing awareness, late/inaccurate passes, etc. And it's against a club who has a sub-MLS TM valuation. So I'd highlight other games to make my case, if I were him.

7. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't he get MOTM for this game?

ShayG and m vann repped this.
  8. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really doubt it. He didn't by the metrics. Actually was the lowest on his team and his worst rating in the last 5, w/ a mediocre #, against a bad team like I said.

And almost all of his best plays would have to be missed on that edit. Unlikely, especially since it was on Youtube not Twitter, and 4 minutes long.

9. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    I actually thought the every touch reinforced his very good game. Quick, pacey, change of direction, tight in possession, and always looking to progress with the dribble or the pass. I like, a lot!!!

10. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Agree to the poster re: fulham. I watched a ton of his reserve games while tracking Hyndman. He was average there and stayed 3 years way too long.

I never have been impressed with him with the limited Nats appearances to be honest, but this clip and a few others recently has me very curious and intrigued.

11. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean it would have contradicted, because he was the lowest rated on the team. I think that's what it reinforced. Flashy, but little end product. Don't confuse activity with achievement.

12. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he better than Busio?

13. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, Heracles has a sub-MLS TM valuation as well (that is, the lowest-ranked MLS team). Of course, half the Eredivisie has sub-lowest-in-MLS TM valuations. He only gets a handful of games per season against teams valued higher than the 9th highest in MLS.

I agree, though, that the cherry-picked highlights looked good, but the all-touches was a little more dubious. He looks like he's forcing the game too much.

14. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Yes, whoever says this game was a poor game might actually be blind. He would ve in my 23 for the WC if it was tomorrow. He's quick, technical and smart.

Pl@ymaker and wixson7 repped this.
  15. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoever says this was a good game might not understand the sport and thinks it's all about flashy dribbling, not making the right decisions. Sometimes it's to dribble, others to pass. It's good he has the former skill, many don't. But if it's not coupled w/ the latter it's not all that much of a positive for you, if at all. There was no intelligence. You're intoxicated by the technical & aggression.

Independent of an overall analysis of LDLT, for this game, he had the lowest rating on the team, so the computer must also be blind as well. https://www.sofascore.com/heracles-almelo-rkc-waalwijk/gjbsCjb

And no he's not better than Busio right now (while Busio's much younger). Busio's played at about the same level of performance in a much better league.

But LDLT might be more needed style-wise right now and older so a fit for CCAF.

However, if players at his level are in the 23 for the World Cup, we aren't getting thru the group against teams with a lot better players than a 23 yr old for Heracles, who has less excuse to be at a similar level than a mid 20's domestic who went to college (i.e. Miles Robinson or Clint Dempsey back in the day, or players who were there by choice like Donovan & Morris).

16. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I mean I've seen worse scores by a computer. Also I would have Busio and LDT on my 23 if that matters, Busio isn't better right now but probably will be soon. LDT movement with the ball looks second nature. People forgot how highly rated he was with our u17s because he made a super shit career move

17. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not even remotely similar midfield players.

Both too good technically, and too much brain for likes of Fulham though.

18. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Busio is the highest rated field player on his Serie A team.

comoesa repped this.
  19. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that is why they are in 18th place. Most of their players, are Serie B/MLS level.

20. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    1442780207123947523 is not a valid tweet id

Winoman, bballshawn and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  21. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Quite possible, but not like LDLT is on Ajax. Very small data, but so far Busio is rated higher among all Serie A player than LDLT among Eredivisie ones.

22. DrunkOffPunch

DrunkOffPunch Member

United States
    Jul 14, 2020
    Based on what? LDLT is currently the 25th ranked player on FotMob in the Eredivisie with a 7.52. Busio has a 7.06.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  23. DirectK

DirectK Member

United States
    Jun 27, 2018
    WhoScored is much more bearish on him. Which is not to say we should be putting a lot of stock in either site to be honest.

The Irish Rover and tomásbernal repped this.
  24. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sofascore has LDLT with a marginally lower ranking and rating than Busio - 7.15 v. 7.16 and 49th v. 41st. Again, this is in a considerably lower league.

So Fotmob's comparative affinity is the exception.

Though these all range from decent to very good within the Eredivisie. He's just not at the level of a similar rated Serie A player.

That said, I think he has more value to national team right now, w/ what we need, and they let you get away w/ in CCAF.

But he has to play better than he did in this last match, releasing the ball quicker and more accurately, which is what Sofascore was dinging him for. However, on the season they think he's been more than fine. Not that he ever projects to be very goal dangerous. Unproductive player during his career.

Not the hero we deserve, but the one we need right now. A similar thing is true about Lletget (who he complements). Come WC our standard for potential will be raised because the opponent's level will as well. WCQ'ing requires significantly different personnel than the WC historically.

tomásbernal repped this.
  25. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess it did mean something……. He has included in the Oct roster for WCQ. His highlight video clearly worked. ;) :D

WheezingUSASupport, chad, Gorky and 3 others repped this.