Luca Before You Leap: de la Torre at Celta Vigo

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 25, 2013.

?

What should we rename the Luca de la Torre thread?

1. Luca’s Labour’s Lost? de la Torre at Celta Vigo

10 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. My name is Luca, I live in the Second Team: De La Torre at Celta Vigo

17 vote(s)
    18.5%
  3. Luca's Labour (not) Lost: Luca de la Torre at Celta Vigo

14 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. Luca Before you Leap: Luca de la Torre at Celta Vigo

51 vote(s)
    55.4%
  1. Flipstar508

Flipstar508 Member+

Sep 7, 2006
    Worcester, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starts:

2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pl@ymaker, Flipstar508 and EXALIFTIN repped this.
  3. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    They go up 2-1 after capitalizing on a poor clearance from our dear friend Kik Pierie.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    They held the lead for almost no time. De la Torre was near the area where the goal was scored, but would have taken something superhuman the way it worked out. 2-2.

Pl@ymaker and Dervos repped this.
  5. Both teams had a hard time to break down the defenses with "normal"play. The goals were all a bit freak goals, not out of solid attacks.

Winoman repped this.
  6. Dervos

Dervos Member+

Mar 13, 2002
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Watched some of this. I was impressed with Luca's defensive bite and his calm smoothness on the ball under pressure. He doesn't show up anywhere on any of the usual suspects' flavor of the month sexy midfielder depth charts - no matter how deep they go, but he looked surprisingly like the kind of guy Gregg likes in the Tyler Adams spot.

No, not right back. Be quiet you.

7. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Isnot he also eligible for Spain?

9. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes but he was born and raised in San Diego until he left for Fulham (you can hear the English accent...as a fellow san diegan....its wild. but i lived in australia for 3 years as an adult and my english changed too just not as much lol) so I doubt he goes anywhere (plus I don't think they've ever contacted him).

10. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    lol the idea that he would ever warrant a call up from Spain is beyond imagination.

bballshawn repped this.
  11. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Scores, diving header in stoppage time to give Heracles the win 2-1

13. Dervos

Dervos Member+

Mar 13, 2002
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
  14. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    I wondered what he might be after the stunning equalizer in the dying moments of our heroic comeback against Ecuador in the U20 tournament back in ‘17. Not sold anymore but excited that it seems like he’s forcing his way back into the discussion.

Winoman repped this.
  15. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aside from the goal he had some really solid stats

16. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    He's a nice player, just a bit physically limited. Fulham does do a nice job at the youth development piece. Will be an interesting follow for sure. We can always use attacking midfield types good enough for Holland.

17. The goal was nice, but more important is how he moved over the pitch by at the start of the clip start the attack with a pass on the right side close to the midline. He then moves to the other side, thus being out of the attention of the opponent concentrating on the ball movement and then moves into the open space to meet the ball. Here you see how he tactically moves far smarter than at the beginning of the season.

18. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #693 m vann, Mar 8, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    I've watched LDLT a handful of times this season and each time he seemed more and more comfortable. It has been steady progression. Nothing earth shattering. It's been just enough to keep him as a starter. I should look it up but it seems like his touches have gone from 40 to 60 to 80+ per match. Some of that is because he's getting more time centrally than on the right wing. Luca's movement was good but he wasn't demanding the ball. I've seen that change and now he's getting on the ball and being effective. He's tidy on the ball and is not going to turn it over much. It could also be said he's "safe" and not risky with the ball. That may lead some to say he has a "bland" game. I don't think so. When you break it down, he's doing some nice things - on and off the ball - to help his teammates. Solid season from Luca. Very underrated season by YA standards.

19. Luca was rated by Voetbal International with an 8 out of 10 and made it into their Team of the Week!

20. cyberthoth

cyberthoth Member+

Nashville SC
    Aug 7, 2000
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is pretty amusing to think how far we've come. Two years ago a player that age becoming an every game starter in Holland would be a big deal.

I haven't watched any of his games and I'm curious about something. When you say he's playing more centrally would you equate that to maybe how McKennie plays for the National Team or is it more of a center/winger type position akin to how we used to use Bedoya?

21. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heracles have mostly deployed a 4-3-3 with overlapping fullbacks forcing those three midfielders centrally. LDLT plays the inside right - as you guess it - similar to McKennie. Unlike McKennie - he's not making as many late runs into the box - he's more of the supplier. He's getting more touches on ball and spraying them all across the pitch. LDLT is more of a focal point in the build up. Luca also has a little more freedom to roam than McKinnie. While their position is similar they are being tasked with difference responsibilities. With that said, both are proving to be important players.

superdave, Gacm32 and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  22. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I’ve seen him a few times and I’ve been overall - impressed. My player comparison would be poor man’s Andres Iniesta. He’s very tidy and dangerous in tight spaces, spreads the ball very well - short and long balls, he moves well, seems to have a decent IQ and vision, but I would like to see him be a little more assertive and consistent throughout the game, to really get to that higher level where the top 5 tier teams will be knocking on his door.

m vann repped this.
  23. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Think about where he might be if he started playing here 2-3yrs ago instead of this season. Still glad to see him doing well since I had more or less written him off as a potential USMNT contributor.

24. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    I’m happy to see him making it as a professional, but how do we compare him to young Americans in MLS? It would seem to me that being a solid starter at a mid-table eredivisie team isn’t that much different from doing the same at an MLS team, but I never watch the Eredivisie.