The 111 All-Time Greatest Bundesliga Games

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Gregoriak, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    There are two sources for this game:

1. There is almost certainly a copy of it in the vaults of ARD and/or ZDF. However buying tapes out of their archives is fairly expensive. The prices vary from tape to tape, but it is in the region of 300 Euro per tape (the older, the more expensive).

2. Steaua Bucharest recorded 120 minutes of this game in black-and-white because Bayern were their opponents in the Cup Winners Cup the next Wednesday. That tape is probably wiped out, though. Can't imagine the club kept it.

2. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    I could have picked the 4-3 from December 1973 as well (it was also a terrific game) but Netzer was not in it and since Netzer to me and many other football nostalgics represents the greatness of early 1970s German football like no other player, I had to make sure Netzer was featured. ;)

3. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Günther Netzer 4-ever!!! ;)

Thanx for your great work in this thread, Wolfgang!

4. BongartzUndRivera

Sep 24, 2004
    NYC
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Wolfie, Sorry to ask u this when u must have been reliefed after finishing this ranks of great Buli matches, but I am sure u have a list of great DFB Pokal matches as well (not only finals) on your mind.

Share them!;)

5. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You aim a certain match between Schalke & Bayern or between Borussia & Köln, I'm right? ;)

My personal Cup highlight was THIS sensational game! Werder was de facto out of the Cup ... and won it in the end due to a sensational finish in this 1/4 final game!

6. BongartzUndRivera

Sep 24, 2004
    NYC
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Well any final S04 against Bauern never went quiet went right, but like Thon's hattrick at a Semi...which in that year reminds me of Lothar's last match with Galdbach, remember?:p

Fohlen vs. Geisböcke a classic, but be quiet...don't spoil it!;)

7. Schalkoholic

Schalkoholic Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Siegen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Strange here.
    Germans talking about German Football in English.
    Any native English speakers here?
    Otherwise we could change language to German:D

8. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    unclesox and I usually post on this thread.

9. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Nice to see a Juventino from Assieland being interested in the Bundesliga history! ;)

10. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Whenever Gregoriak creates these kind of threads, they're extremely well detailed. In recent times, I've developed a certain respect for the Bundesliga. At first, I didn't like the Bundesliga because it doesn't have a big image and I didn't like the style of play. That has changed since I had watched Stuttgart in the 2003-04 CL and Werder winning the Bundesliga. Even watching Schalke in a few matches, they can play some brilliant football. I prefer the Bundesliga now compared to what it was 7-8 years ago, the time when I started following football/soccer. When it comes to matches from the past, I like hearing about the great names like der Kaiser, der Bomber, Klinsi, Overath, Matthaeus, Seeler, Kaltz and co. Ballack, Klose and Podolski are fine players but Germany simply doesn't produce great players like they were, especially the 1970s stars.

11. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    [​IMG]

Just found this small photo and thought I'd throw it on here. ;)

12. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    If I ever post a follow-up I think it would be about European Cup games. But don’t hold your breath! :p

The thing is, even if dor and Unclesox would not be posting in here, there may still be non-Germans reading the thread. I know that for sure there are some as I got some PMs with questions about the countdown from people that did not post in it. This is an international forum with many people from all over the world taking part, the only language that all do understand is English. Sometimes I follow a thread in, say, the South America forums where originally everyone talked in English, then suddenly someone switches to Spanish and all others also start to write their posts in Spanish – that’s when the thread is over for me.:mad: This is pretty annoying. That’s why we are all writing in English here. :p

13. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Very pleased to hear this. Germany’s failure to create similar talent to the past is probably due to kids not being allowed to play in the streets anymore, wherever and whenever they want to. Of course the traffic has increased since the 1940s and 1950s, but kids are rarely allowed to use a public lawn to play, everywhere are the signs “Fussballspielen verboten”. The great stars of the 1960s and 1970s, who grew up in the 1940s and 1950s didn’t know such restrictions and they played football every day after school for hours. There were no other activities, going to the cinemas was far too expensive, no television, no computer games, no internet. Today’s kids can do so much else, they don’t have to kick the ball in every available free minute like in the old days. Basic technical skills do suffer from that. You don’t get to see a player like Overath or Beckenbauer, who could treat the ball with effortless ease, who had an emotional relationship with the ball! When they had the ball at their feet, it was an art form. Today’s players are certainly better trained in complex and sophisticated tactical systems, but they don’t have the same ball skills.

It may not look like it in that pic, but if one watches the game, one can see that Sepp does in fact take the drastic defeat with a good amount of humour. After the final whistle he’s seen joking with the Fortuna players about the result. By that time, Sepp had become pretty used to high defeats. ;)

14. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

That game should be ranked a lot higher, I'm right? :p

15. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm surprised they would have a law like this in a nation that's passionate about football.

16. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    There is not a law, it's just that local communities often decide to forbid kids to play on public lawns or places. Elder people probably complained about the noise and the broken glass.

17. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich

Alright then!

Here are the 5 goals of the historic first half of this classic encounter:

[youtube]8YNLLhS5Gz0[/youtube]

Second half to follow later.

18. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Holy crap! I just had a thought that if you knew how to upload videos onto Youtube before starting this thread...

:eek:

... this would've been the mutha of all threads.

If you're not the most repped person on these boards, it's a crying shame.
    And screw that "You must spread some rep" crap!
    :D

19. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich

Thank you very much! I hope you enjoyed watching the highlights. Grabowski's goal was awesome, wasn't it? And Bernd Nickel had a wicked left foot! Imagine this guy only played 1 game for Germany, today he'd get capped 50 times at least. Yes it would have been tremendous if I could have added footage to some of the games in this countdown, it would have really added another dimension. But in a way I'm glad I did not have the knowledge to upload to youtube a year ago, otherwise I would have felt obliged to do it, but it would have been too much work altogether.

Here are the highlights for the second half:

[youtube]lJFCscCTAE0[/youtube]

20. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Many thanks to Mr. Bundesliga! ;)

21. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Brilliant stuff as always, Gregoriak! Great goals, especially Nickel's goals and Grabowski's one in the first half!

22. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Very, very true statement.

I'm happy that we have 2 large public lawn areas for the kids & hobby players here in Fürth at least (lots of people from Nürnberg & Erlangen meet here for playing football).

So it is! :)

23. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    gregoriak, how come grabowski had retired before the peak of his playmaking career, from the national side?

24. episkeptis

episkeptis New Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Manchester
    According to Lichtenberger it was mainly due to the post-game "celebration" after the world cup final in 1974, where the players got into a fight with the dfb officials, the reason was that the players' wives were not allowed to be with their husbands at the ceremonial banquet. The players got mad with the officials and most of them left the place were the banquet was held and went to celebrate in downtown bars.

25. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    hmmm, yeah could be, because he was pretty young wasn't he at wc74 unlike the other retirees