The 100 best players of all time - Suggestions

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by Di Pecruydona, Feb 5, 2016.

1. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    No, Sarosi was listed with some symbols in first and last name. If I realise who the missing player is I'll let you know then as Rush definitely wasn't in my latest list.

2. peterhrt

peterhrt Member+

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Thanks for the interesting feedback. The four Scottish players are all pre-1930. Without them I cannot properly represent the 60 years of organised football up to this time. For the same reason two of my Englishmen and the one Welshman began their careers in the 19th century.

You are right about the World Cup. The British record is not good. This is reflected by only five of my picks from the British Isles having participated in the competition (three of whom won it). It is also the reason why I left out the likes of Finney, Greaves and Dalglish despite their high reputations in the UK.

If I had to leave out a Hungarian it would probably be Kubala rather than Orth. Jimmy Hogan said that Orth was the best footballer he ever saw and I don’t want to reduce representatives from the pre-World Cup era. Alex Ferguson said something similar about Keane before they fell out.

Four men from Spain may be one too few but nobody else really convinced me. Pirri was closest. Casillas’s blunders in recent years have dented his reputation a little.

I know you rate Bochini highly, but five minutes’ action in the World Cup as a substitute, though unfair, weighs against him. Redondo’s largely self-enforced absence from the national team doesn’t help his cause either. Francescoli was a fine player but a little disappointing on the global stage. My next Uruguayan was Piendibene for his pioneering qualities and link to the past. How highly do you rate him? And Rocha?

3. peterhrt

peterhrt Member+

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Thank you for sharing your own list. A lot of thought has clearly gone into it. As you say, we have under half our Top 100 names in common – 43 in fact. It just shows how little consensus there is on these things.

I suspect that your list would find more support overall, with a higher number of moderns and attacking players. Goalkeepers, defenders and defensive/central midfielders combined took up twice as many places in my list as they did in yours.

Your seventeen Brazilians are also probably nearer the consensus than my twelve. Dearman had eighteen in his Top 100. Our Dutch contingent, as you say, is similar with you including a couple of extra ones in Bergkamp and Rensenbrink. The next one for me would have been van Hanegem, whose reputation in the Netherlands seems to be higher than elsewhere. You also have a couple more players from the British Isles, but that’s still only half the number Brian Glanville included!

PDG1978 repped this.
  4. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I thought I'd counted 49 before but yeah it's somewhere in that region (and my counting isn't perfect otherwise I wouldn't be stumpted on the Ian Rush issue!). I'm not sure my list would have more in the average list among all the connoisseurs on here and Xtratime for example (or if World Soccer had another go at a list - like I say mine might have more in common with a readers poll I would guess although wouldn't be close to identical to it) but yeah I can tell you explicitly made an attempt to have a proper spread throughout football history and that could conjure up immediate differences to a lot of peoples attempts.

Yeah, Glanville's list did include a lot of British players from his youth, but it's understandable in a way as it represents his football experiences. It wasn't only British players either from the earlier part of last century - Ocwirk was there, Schiaffino, and maybe Ademir was in there a bit lower down IIRC.

5. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
  6. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It depends on how much weight the 1850s to 1910s really deserve. It may be sixty years of organized football but the sport is very limited in range during this time, it's no different than gridiron football is today. The international records of the British nations if anything should place in proper perspective how to value these early years, which to me are clearly important as pioneering but not so much as historically great.

Kubala and Orth are indeed quite close, either one would be the player to drop from the Hungarians. It really doesn't matter what Alex Ferguson may have said about Keane, I doubt Ferguson would rate him higher than C Ronaldo from the players he managed and I don't think anyone's endorsement should place any player in this list. Casillas' blunders have come in as he reached age 32, it should not affect much what he accomplished during the previous 15 years especially with such a high a peak.

I'm a bit confused, from your comments on Bochini, Redondo and Francescoli it seems that you place a major value to the World Cup, but then there are a few players on the list with little WC relevance such as Gomez, Kubala, Rummenigge, Van Basten, Henry. I would place Bochini on accounts of being the greatest Copa Libertadores winner of all time, Redondo for being the catalyst in Real Madrid's return to European glory, and Francescoli for being the greatest Copa America player of modern times and the biggest icon for a team of the stature of River Plate, it's true he disappointed at the World Cup twice but had he delivered we would be speaking of him in the top 30. Piendibene is a great player but I feel ultimately Francescoli has achieved a bigger stature. I'm not sure Rocha is top 100 material, Spencer, Joya and Mazurkewicz are the legendary players of that Penarol side of the 60s.

I forgot to mention Poland, they deserve at least one player on the list, either Deyna or Boniek who each led them to a WC semifinal and another knockout round appearance. Plus both had illustrious club careers. I would drop Needham to make room. Also completely overlook Hagi's absence, I would add him for Chilavert. Brazil should have at least one more player, one of Gerson, Rivelino, Jairzinho, Cerezo, Socrates, Rivaldo or Ronaldinho, I have to think who loses the spot.

7. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Ah, yeah - it's Duncan Edwards I also had in my top 100 (not in the original list, but in peter's selection).

8. peterhrt

peterhrt Member+

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    The sixty years I was referring to were 1870-1930, where the four Scots are drawn from. A few experts in the 1920s and 1930s, including Herbert Chapman, said the football in Britain before the war was of a higher standard. Five British players have been included before 1914, which covers around forty years, a time when football drew huge crowds and became a significant part of the national culture. Any fewer than that, and I think this period would be under-represented.

Gómez and Francescoli have similarities in that both were Uruguayans who achieved legendary status at River Plate. My reasoning was that someone who was not eligible for the World Cup at the time, like Gómez (banned/playing abroad), takes less of a hit than the likes of Francescoli, who did play without quite fulfilling expectations, or Bochini who was not selected. Of course there are others in the list whose World Cups were nothing out of the ordinary, but they were generally less marginal choices.

Hagi was quite close; Boniek less so. There are already twice as many Europeans as Latin Americans, and if Chilavert drops out there is no Latin American goalkeeper. Redondo seems to divide opinion. At his peak he was very good but did he fully realise his potential?

As you say, several other Brazilians are in contention. They currently have a third as many representatives again as any other country. Do they merit more?

comme repped this.
  9. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Even if Bristish football was of higher standard, it should be put at the same level of Hungary's or Brazil's golden ages. In any event, Scotland with four representatives and the Irelands with two, when you have Poland with none or all of Africa without one, does not make any sense.

Does it tell you something that once the rest of the world took up the game, Scotland disappears as a force? Or is it just a weird coincidence?

Francescoli did win three Copa Americas, the first for Uruguay in forty years back then. Of course it's not the same value as the World Cup, but it shows that Francescoli has some international achievement. This should be enough to displace Gomez, who has no international successes. In any event, I probably would agree that ultimately the difference is small for either one, Francescoli obviously represents a more modern era of Uruguayan football and perhaps that's why he should get the nod rather than depict Uruguay as a country of little relevance nowadays, which is of course completely inaccurate.

If you're going to include a South American goalie, it should be Carrizo, Mazurkewicz or Fillol. I know you are trying to be inclusive and laud you for that stance, but at some point you also have to be mindful of the footballing story. I'd take Hagi and Deyna over Edwards, Sanchez, Keane, Henry, Chilavert, and several others on the list easily. By the way why is Edwards in there, he passed at 21. Is he better than Maradona?

Not sure what you mean by "Redondo seems to divide opinion", he was the greatest defensive mid in an era chock full of great ones, and an icon for no less than Real Madrid being all time XI for them without a doubt and all time XI for Argentina as well. Talk about pedigree. In any event you could say the same thing about at least half the players on the list as that is the nature of the sport.

Well, if you think Scotland deserves four players on the list, then Brazil should have at least 25. Your list is very good as a foundation, I would definitely use it to build upon, but there are a few glaring errors that I hope the poster can discern and correct.

10. Di Pecruydona

Di Pecruydona Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Hamburg
    Club:
    MSV Duisburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Thanks for your answers!
    PDG1978 I was very excited to read your suggestions, but I have to say that there's a huge difference between a "best players" list like yours and the greatest players of all time. So if one would make a best players list, the only criteria would be technical and tactical skills (maybe athleticism). But it's quite hard to choose between players of different generations, as there is a massive change in how the game is played. It's fair to say that a world-class footballer of the 60's wouldn't stand a chance in todays top-class football. So the only way to differentiate between players of different generations is to look at the level of skills compared with other players out of the several generations. If you do this, it's already not a "best ever" list. A list including the best players of all time only considering their skill-level would probably look like a best players of the decade list. So the main idea of a "greatest ever" list is that we compare influence and impact of the players skills creating a successful game with their teams. So the most talented players that maybe never had a huge impact on the game, are not included (f.e. Gascoigne). The skill-level is not limited with peak performance and potential, but also includes longevity. You should not misunderstand my list as list of the most successful players, but maybe as a list of the most decorated und influential players.

Nonetheless your list was also very good and interesting and I'm totally convinced of your knowledge about the beautiful game. I only meant to give you an explanation of how I chose my players.;):D

PDG1978 repped this.
  11. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Understood mate - I don't really see it the same way (outside of some factors like training that I would be discounting I suppose and envisaging players with the same advantages there) but I know others do and it's probably a topic which gets discussed a lot. Anyway, yeah I knew you were aiming for a greatest ever list, and although there should be decent overlap I think, it is definitely different. Someone like Edwards himself is interesting in a way as you'd think his lack of longevity would reduce his 'greatness' although in some ways having made himself such a highly regarded player at such a young age, he is destined to be remembered as a great in his own way.

Di Pecruydona repped this.
  12. Di Pecruydona

Di Pecruydona Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Hamburg
    Club:
    MSV Duisburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's very interesting to see so much players from the pre 1930's in your list. But for me it was very hard to compare the success and decoration of those players with players from the world-cup era. I only got Woodward as a british player of that time as he captained Great Britain to their double-win of the golden medal at the olympics, which were the first considerable international tournaments. Additionally I am very happy that my list quite matches with yours. Most of the players you included were also in my eyes, but barely didn't make my top 200.

13. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    What I can do for you to be fair is dig out comme's list (there's a chance you saw it if you have been looking at these forums, as well as Xtratime with all Dearman's work) as it is compiled on a pretty similar basis to what you are aiming for after a bigger project where he was picking 100 players for each position. There might be others, from the likes of Peru FC, but I'd have to check what basis exactly they were compiled on. I'm not sure if comme has seen this thread already himself of course, so he might even have an updated list for you.

14. Di Pecruydona

Di Pecruydona Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Hamburg
    Club:
    MSV Duisburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    There are definitely some players that would have reached a great career such as Duncan Edwards, Streltsov, etc.
    But I can't include those players even if i would like to see them and give them their deserved honour. They couldn't give enough considerable performances.

15. Di Pecruydona

Di Pecruydona Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Hamburg
    Club:
    MSV Duisburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Would be great, thanks!

16. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Here is comme's original list of 100, compiled after completing his project, and not considering players younger than 28 at that time (since then he did say he'd already have Messi top 7, C.Ronaldo about top 30, and Xavi top 50 IIRC and that was a while ago):
    1. Pele
    2. Alfredo di Stefano
    3. Ferenc Puskas
    4. Diego Maradona
    5. Franz Beckenbauer
    6. Johan Cruyff
    7. Garrincha
    8. Michel Platini
    9. Ronaldo
    10. Zico
    11. Paolo Maldini
    12. Bobby Charlton
    13. Gerd Muller
    14. Eusebio
    15. George Best
    16. Didi
    17. Franco Baresi
    18. Ruud Gullit
    19. Juan Alberto Schiaffino
    20. Jozsef Boszik
    21. Marco Van Basten
    22. Bobby Moore
    23. Stanley Matthews
    24. Zinedine Zidane
    25. Lev Yashin
    26. Lothar Matthaus
    27. Djalma Santos
    28. Matthias Sindelar
    29. Jose Manuel Moreno
    30. Nilton Santos
    31. Roberto Baggio
    32. Omar Sivori
    33. Giuseppe Meazza
    34. Jose Leandro Andrade
    35. Gianni Rivera
    36. Ladislao Kubala
    37. Luis Suarez
    38. Gunnar Nordahl
    39. Ernst Ocwirk
    40. Roberto Rivellino
    41. Romario
    42. Giacinto Facchetti
    43. Raymond Kopa
    44. Nils Liedholm
    45. Sandor Kocsis
    46. Gaetano Scirea
    47. Francisco Gento
    48. Zizinho
    49. John Charles
    50. Daniel Passarella
    51. Frank Rijkaard
    52. Fritz Walter
    53. Johan Neeskens
    54. Silvio Piola
    55. Rivaldo
    56. Jose Emilio Santamaria
    57. Zoltan Czibor
    58. Alex James
    59. Thierry Henry
    60. Karl-Heinz Rummenigge
    61. Roberto Falcao
    62. Roy Keane
    63. Nandor Hidegkuti
    64. Peter Schmeichel
    65. Ruud Krol
    66. Obdulio Varela
    67. Dino Zoff
    68. Cafu
    69. Adolfo Pedernera
    70. Danny Blanchflower
    71. Marcel Desailly
    72. Ryan Giggs
    73. Roberto Carlos
    74. Josef Masopust
    75. Tom Finney
    76. Paul Breitner
    77. Mario Coluna
    78. Luis Monti
    79. Wolfgang Overath
    80. Billy Wright
    81. Jimmy Greaves
    82. Luis Figo
    83. Ronaldinho
    84. Pepi Bican
    85. Dragan Dzajic
    86. Berti Vogts
    87. Mumo Orsi
    88. Kenny Dalglish
    89. Alessandro Nesta
    90. Arsenio Erico
    91. Elias Figeroa
    92. Kurt Hamrin
    93. Oleg Blokhin
    94. Dixie Dean
    95. Guther Netzer
    96. Peter Shilton
    97. Angel Labruna
    98. Michael Laudrup
    99. Ricardo Zamora
    100. Uwe Seeler

Maybe I shouldn't speak for anyone else by using old lists that could have varied again since being posted (Peru FC like I say would be an example of someone who has posted 100 player+ lists, while you've obviously been following Dearman's ideas anyway).

So yeah I wouldn't know if comme exactly shares the view that older players wouldn't be great in the modern game, but I do know he felt it wasn't very easy to gauge at all (to an extent I'd agree because obviously if we're dealing with theory then it's not the same as reality) and so shared the approach of judging players based on their own eras. So that list could be a help to you.

Buyo, peterhrt and comme repped this.
  17. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Like I say not to go off topic and make too much of any disagreements about older players being great in later eras but as some food for thought maybe I'll just leave this here (Cruyff, past his physical prime, playing with players who belong an era or two later than he does in the main):

Anyway, great idea to try to come up with your 100 players, like a historical guide to great footballers I suppose.

18. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    So you've probably guessed (but just to make it clear for everyone) that was Luis Suarez Miramontes in comme's list.

19. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I could have mis-counted slightly again but there are I think about 70 players in both the lists of comme and peter btw. One extra now if M.Laudrup and Zamora (along with Seeler) drop out but Messi, C.Ronaldo and Xavi come into the list. I think it looks like over 40 of those would still be in my own top 100 (as you say compiled on different basis and not as conducive to really old players) too anyway.

I do remember comme picked Morton in Sheep Draft 1 so he's another on peter's list that he holds in high regard (I recall that being reflected on his 100 left wingers thread too)!

20. Di Pecruydona

Di Pecruydona Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Hamburg
    Club:
    MSV Duisburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So I see only two players in comme's list I overlooked in my top 200.
    I'm a little bit irritated about Roy Keane, whom I don't consider as a all-time great. In my opinion his physical strength perfectly suited with the Premier League football, which makes him kind of overrated. Additionally he wasn't able to gain any success with the irish national team. But I have to check this again, regarding his high appreciation by comme.
    The other player missing in my list is Alex James. I don't know how i could forget this guy, but he surely has to be in my top 200, especially as he is in 9th (!!!) place in Glanvilles list.

21. Di Pecruydona

Di Pecruydona Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Hamburg
    Club:
    MSV Duisburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  22. peterhrt

peterhrt Member+

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Glanville is a lifelong Arsenal supporter!

Di Pecruydona repped this.
  23. Di Pecruydona

Di Pecruydona Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Hamburg
    Club:
    MSV Duisburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That explains his high rank! :D
    Found James now as 49th best playmaker on http://xtraimmortal.blogspot.de in the 9x100 players list, quite strange that he is not even mentioned in his main positional hall of fame.

24. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Here's a profile for Kubala
    http://spielverlagerung.de/2015/12/01/tuerchen-1-laszlo-kubala/

I agree that Redondo shouldn't be in a top 100. Check for instance.
    http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/esm-xi.html

Many in the Netherlands tend to rank Bergkamp over Gullit, everything considered (style, importance, longevity, performances). That was the case in the 1999 lists but in 2014 (before the World Cup) a poll was done again among journalists and 'experts' and that had the same outcome, by a convincing distance. Goals and assists production are comparable I think and GI value is just a tiny 9 points difference in favor of Bergkamp.
    http://football-ratings.blogspot.com/2012/06/european-footballer-of-year-1990s.html

25. Raute

Raute Member

Jun 9, 2015
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    my proto-position ranking; it is based on post-1958, only few pre-1958 players like di Stefano, Puskas, Matthews are include in.
    caution : it's not deliberate, just extemporization.

Goalkeeper
    1. Lev Yashin
    2. Gianluigi Buffon
    3. Dino Zoff
    4. Gordon Banks
    5. Peter Schmeichel
    6. Sepp Maier
    7. Oliver Kahn
    8. Iker Casilaas
    9. Ubaldo Fillol
    10. Manuel Neuer

Right-back
    1. Cafu
    2. Djalma Santos
    3. Carlos Alberto
    4. Berti Vogts
    5. Lilian Thuram
    6. Philipp Lahm
    7. Manfred Kaltz
    8. Gianluca Zambrotta
    9. Dani Alves
    10. Giuseppe Bergomi

Centre-back
    1. Franz Beckenbauer
    2. Franco Baresi
    3. Bobby Moore
    4. Ruud Krol
    5. Elias Figueroa
    6. Daniel Passarella
    7. Jose Santamaria
    8. Jurgen Kohler
    9. Fabio Cannavaro
    10. Matthias Sammer
    11. Ronald Koeman
    12. Alessandro Nesta
    13. Uli Stielike
    14. Bruno Pezzey
    15. Karlheinz Forster
    16. Gaetano Scirea
    17. Claudio Gentile
    18. Carles Puyol
    19. Marcel Desailly
    20. Hector Chumpitaz

Left-back
    1. Paolo Maldini
    2. Nilton Santos
    3. Giacinto Facchetti
    4. Paul Breitner
    5. Roberto Carlos
    6. Karl-Heinz Schnellinger
    7. Andreas Brehme
    8. Junior
    9. Antonio Cabrini
    10. Silvio Marzolini

Defensive/Central midfielder
    1. Lothar Matthaus
    2. Didi
    3. Xavi
    4. Frank Rijkaard
    5. Falcao
    6. Johan Neeskens
    7. Luis Suarez
    8. Josef Masopust
    9. Dunga
    10. Didier Deschamps

Offensive midfielder
    1. Diego Maradona
    2. Zinedine Zidane
    3. Michel Platini
    4. Bobby Charlton
    5. Zico
    6. Raymond Kopa
    7. Ruud Gullit
    8. Rivellino
    9. Ronaldinho
    10. Mario Kempes

Winger
    1. Garrincha
    2. Cristiano Ronaldo
    3. Stanley Matthews
    4. George Best
    5. Jairzinho
    6. Paco Gento
    7. Luis Figo
    8. Arjen Robben
    9. Rob Rensenbrink
    10. Franck Ribery

Forward
    1. Pele
    2. Lionel Messi
    3. Johan Cruyff
    4. Alfredo di Stefano
    5. Puskas Ferenc
    6. Eusebio
    7. Ronaldo
    8. Eusebio
    9. Gerd Muller
    10. Marco van Basten
    11. Romario
    12. Roberto Baggio
    13. Paolo Rossi
    14. Karl-Heinz Rummenigge
    15. Rivaldo
    16. Thierry Henry
    17. Gigi Liva
    18. Tostao
    19. Dennis Bergkamp
    20. Uwe Seeler

also I suggest whole top 30 list, but it is after consideration.

1. Pele
    2. Diego Maradona
    3. Lionel Messi
    4. Johan Cruyff
    5. Franz Beckenbauer
    6. Alfredo di Stefano
    7. Puskas Ferenc
    8. Garrincha
    9. Zinedine Zidane
    10. Michel Platini
    11. Ronaldo
    12. Eusebio