the 1 thing the USA has to do to get soccer popular in the US.....

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by toot86, Aug 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toot86

toot86 New Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Long John Silver's
    Re: Re: Re: Re: haha

Asian meaning Korean , Japenese

Pakistan meaning Brown skin dark hair but no squinting eyes..

And if you think Earnie stewart and Barry bonds have the same skin complexion your blind..

Barry bonds http://bigleaguers.yahoo.com/mlb/players/3/3918/

Earnie Stewart
    http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/en/t/t/pl/77535/index.html

2. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    Toot, how the hell do you know what "Yankees" want?

You say it like all Americans have European backgrounds. Your ignorance is astounding.

The general public likes stars because of there athletic ability Toot, not because they might be black.

3. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    Can you believe this idiot?

BTW, Skip was saying that in terms of race Bonds and Stewart are the 'same.' Their skin tones may be different but they both have some African heritage.

4. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: no

Damn, you beat me to it!!

5. toot86

toot86 New Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Long John Silver's
    Look i dont care about heritage.. I know there are Black Mexicans Black Cubans.. Blacks that dont even know what HIp hop is.. Blacks that dont Speak english..

But .. Just being black "not african just black"

When i say you have big ears i dont care where you are from you just have big ears..

Blacks make the sport more welcoming to everyone .. They add variety to the sport and just face it YANKEES LIKE TO SEE BLACK GUYS PLAYING SPORTS AND BEING GOOD AT THEM..

IAM SORRY if the truth hurts like me saying GIRLS LIKE GOOD LOOKING GUYS.. Brian might say well no they really care about personallity but the truth is Your hot you got .. Your not you dont got ..

Personally is a plus but the truth is they like good looking guys .. the truth hurts

And Americans like to see Blacks excell in sports it makes it a universal sport..

6. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: HEY

Funny, but I thought Jarome Iginla lead the NHL in scoring. I know, I know, he's Canadian, so he's not really black, right?

7. Kaiser

Kaiser New Member

Nov 12, 2000
    dark side of the moo
    And the why is NASCAR so popular?

Golf was always popular even before Tiger, in fact Tioger Woods is hurting golf because he is too good No one else matters No one can compete with him

Womens tennis si popular because there is great competition right now, buyt people are turned off when its venus vs. serena because the mathch is FIXED and people want real conpetition

Sports needs competition a champion needs an adversary like Ali vs. Frazier, like Cowboys vs. Steelers in the 70's MLS needs anotherr star and a gresat team to go against Landon and SJ unfortuately beasley is not chicagos star Novak is doesn't matter the color

A healthy Mathis may be the answer Hes different from donovan, plays in NY and can carry his team

this is what mls needs especially if there's a baseball strike Mathis vs. Donovan in the MLS Cup Both SI cover boys, different personalities, east coast west coast etc.

8. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    Toot, are you under the impression that all Americans are white except for star atheletes?

Just being black "not african just black"
    What is that suppose to mean?

IAM SORRY if the truth hurts like me saying GIRLS LIKE GOOD LOOKING GUYS.. Brian might say well no they really care about personallity but the truth is Your hot you got .. Your not you dont got ..
    I couldn't think of a better analogy myself, Toot. :D

Blacks that dont Speak english
    I'm pretty sure Cobi Jones and Roy Lassiter speak English...

9. toot86

toot86 New Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Long John Silver's
    Re: Re: HEY

He is not black black .. Either he is mixed i hate that..
    pLUS DONT get me wrong hockey does get attention by espn but he is not doing commercials or anything like that.

10. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    No, we don't. Baseball and (American) football fans will not be watching the MLS Cup, strike or no strike.

11. toot86

toot86 New Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Long John Silver's

NASCAR IS NASCAR.. the only thing you need there is a car.. Dont compare nascar with any sports pleaseeee...

You cant even see the person driving the car just the ads and thats all people care about if the car looks good ...

12. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    He is not black black
    What is "black black?" You need to elaborate a little more.

Either he is mixed i hate
    You're against people of different races having children? If you are, you're a racist.

13. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    People watch NASCAR because it says Home Depot on the hood? I never knew that. :)

14. lion

lion New Member

Feb 22, 2002
    Toot,

To some extent I agree with you. Many whites (primarily males) in this country tend to "feel comfortable" with idolizing black superstar athletes.

In past generations, black athletes were subjected to a lot of harassment -- just witness the hostility that Hank Aaron had to face when he broke Babe Ruth's home run record. However, that was nearly a generation ago (26 years, to be precise).

Today's society is different and now whites think it is cool to idolize and deify outstanding black athletes. Most major sports (including golf) have blacks at the top of the talent ladder -- hockey and men's tennis being the notable exceptions.

Soccer in this country has mostly white stars, and I think having blacks as the sport's stars par excellence may help boost soccer's popularity somewhat amongst whites (again, primarily males) -- but not to the extent that you envisage.

15. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: haha

You mean my eyes are supposed to be squinting? :eek:

Man, my parents and my ancestors will be so ashamed of me when they find out I've forsaken my Japanese heritage by having fully open eyes. <sob>

16. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Re: Re: Re: haha

I'm laughing too hard to be insulted...

Friend, even Wes has some slave rape blood in him, most likely. But I disagree with you. I think soccer is the last country club sport this nation has, and I think lots of participants (not necessarily followers of the Game) would love to have it stay that way.

17. toot86

toot86 New Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Long John Silver's

You said what i couldnt say thank you ..

You need to teach me how to speak as well as you .. Cause its tiring to try to explain it my way.. :(

But you said it all!!

It looks fruity to have a poster of Landon Donovan on your room .. Having a poster of DMBEASLY doesnt for some reason..

LGRod repped this.
  18. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    Some very harsh generlizations. You're like Toot with a brain.

19. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Re: Re: HEY

And Anson Carter must be a figment of our imagination. :)

20. lion

lion New Member

Feb 22, 2002
    Toot,
    I forgot to add that your posts, along with some of your suggestions, are hilarious, to say the least. :D

21. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    True. Toot is like the Reggie White of BigSoccer. At first you're offended, but you realize how unintentionally funny it all is.

22. toot86

toot86 New Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Long John Silver's
    Thanks but i didint even try to be funny :)what parts did you think were funny?

23. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    Toot, I think he means:
    You're constantly making threads that you feel are serious and try to make points that you think make sense but none of them ever do.

They're just funny. Unintentionally funny.

24. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: HEY

Baseball was the USA's national pastime before black players were allowed in the Major Leagues. Tennis was popular long before Arthur Ashe won Wimbledon, Boxing was far more popular in the era of Rocky Marciano than it was during Mike Tyson's era. Basketball and Football grew more popular after integration, but I think that had more to do with a shift in the nation's tastes rather than simply the presence of a black superstar. What makes sports popular in the USA is more than just a black/white issue. In every one of the major sports you name, I can give you a white superstar to match the black superstars you named.

Baseball: Mark Mc Gwire
    Football: Joe Montana, Brett Farve, John Elway
    Basketball: Larry Bird, Dirk Nowitzki, Jason Williams

25. lion

lion New Member

Feb 22, 2002
    Brian,

Some generalizations, like it or not, have some truth in them. Black athletes are glorified in society -- by ordinary people and the media -- far more than are white athletes.

Michael Jordan is still regarded as some kind of "athletic god" by society, whereas white athletes like Wayne Gretzky and Joe Montana are not revered as much.

Are you going to tell me that what Jordan did is that much superior to what Gretzky or Montana did in their respective sports???

It may be difficult to swallow but it is a truism, controversial as it may be, that black superstar athletes (like Jordan or Woods) are revered much more by society (read "whites") than are correspondingly brilliant white athletes like Gretzky or Montana. There is a dichotomy here -- racially inflammatory, maybe -- that cannot be denied.

So maybe if American soccer comes up with its own black posterboy superstar, then maybe it will become somewhat more "acceptable" for the average Tom, Dick, and Harry (again, of the white variety since they constitute the vast majority of sports fans in this country) to follow the sport on a more consistent basis.