The “Yes X” Factor - The Jadon Sancho Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Jul 1, 2021.

1. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007

Unbelievable. Thought this had at least another month’s dragging out in it.

C0BDC4BC-73DF-4E1B-A3F2-9ECF37FF3DD7.jpeg

United 16 and Sofabloke repped this.
  2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #53 Ashur, Jul 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  4. LA. MAN UNITED

LA. MAN UNITED Member+

May 22, 2006
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, that's the guy from Southgate's bench!!

Seriously, thank Christ this saga is over.

5. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    As johno I think it was said, one of the most exciting signings in a long while.

Not just because he is great to watch, but much as Bruno helped sort out our vertical dis-jointedness which really grew us as a team, I am hopeful that Sancho will help sort out our long-standing lateral dis-jointedness.

6. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He's the first player we've had since CR7 that has best in the world potential along with maybe Pogba.

7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #57 Ashur, Jul 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    Curious as to what number he'll end up with. With Cav as our current 7 (eventhough he shouldn't have gotten it imo), I'm fine with him getting another one until it frees up for the 2022-23 season.
    There are talk that he'll get 16: can see the reasoning behind it even if I don't really get it personally. It's a number that means something at the club after the likes of Keane and Carrick had it (even if tbf, genuine meaning to our iconic numbers has gone a bit by the wayside in recent years) .
    TBD, I suppose...
    [​IMG]
    Makes sense and happy with this choice. #7 awaits next year.

8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ready for the SanShow to get going. Just hope we'll make a better job than we did with Pogba, in doing everything possible to maximize his potential and surround him consistently with a quality team.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  9. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope he's ready for the pressure and scrutiny. Fans will be absolutely lethal if he's anything less than Ballon d'Or.

For his sake, I hope he is.

doubletrouble and LA. MAN UNITED repped this.
  10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the article below sums it pretty nicely in regards to Sancho. 73mil is a lot but given all the variables: age, quality, potential for growth and the fact he really is a generational talent, this was a bargain well struck.
    Every transfer is a gamble though and while there will high expectations on his shoulders, but they still need to be measured (at the beginning especially). As far as being able to handle the pressure, this is a guy who left England as a teenager because he felt he deserved more, in terms of genuine opportunities he knew he wouldn't be getting with City. And he eventually knocked it out of the park in relatively short order. Think that alone speaks volume about his character and self confidence. And it bodes well for his prospective United career.

Jadon Sancho, the ‘generational’ player who could be a bargain for Manchester United | Manchester United | The Guardian

11. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's just the pessimist in me.

When was the last big signing United completed actually worth it prior to Bruno? You could argue Pogs, but as good as he can be, he's never looked as good for United as he could IMHO - whether that's how United play or any of the other myriad reasons. ADM was a complete failure, Depay was a failure, Maguire has played better for England than United, etc.

I'm really, really hoping he's coming in here and able to put up 15G/10A in the PL for United, but I can't let myself be that hopeful.

12. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Maguire doesn't play better for England than United.

He gets far more protection for England, making him look better.

Did we overpay for Maguire? Yes. But he's still been a successful purchase in my opinion.

Sofabloke repped this.
  13. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Every time Pogba was utlized properly, with weapons around him, he was excellent. The narrative is not fact. Pogba has been an excellent player for United. There was a season where he was tops in shots, passes, chances created, tackles etc etc, like literally tops in maybe 10 or 11 different statistical categories.

It is like Jitty always says, people will look at a team struggling and blame the best player rather than the general lack of quality.

Same rules apply for Jadon. Put him in position to shine, he'll shine. What he needs? Service and runners and players good at interplay.

Amdrag repped this.
  14. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    90% of the criticism Pogba has faced at United has been bullshit. Given his pricetag and the squad around him most of the time, he's been setup for failure and has done well in spite of this.

My only real criticism during his time at United have been his failure to track runners on set pieces and his failure to keep that fat prick Riaola quiet. Other then that, he's been excellent.

That said, if he doesn't want to be here, he should go as long as we get a fee that makes sense.

15. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Agreed. Markking on set pieces and defensive concentration in general have been poor.

16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Pressure, what pressure? Bring it on: Sanshow is ready.
    Also, it will be a shame if he and Pogs can't get to play together, let alone share a locker room or train together.
    You get the feeling that these 2 would get along famously and it would show on the pitch. Even if it's just for one season, I'd love to see it.

17. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    He fits the profile of player United always try to get, but he has to show more consistency than he showed last season at Dortmund. He has bigger expectations now.

20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were extenuating circumstances to his poor start last season. He clearly was thinking he was leaving (which is what he wanted) and that move fell thru in the end. Understandable that it would have some kind of effect on him.
    Once he managed to put that behind him, he kicked on and performed at a pretty high level again pretty consistently the rest of the way. There is no doubt that alot is expected of him, but I'm really not worried he'll be able to deliver relatively quickly, following a (short hopefully) period of adaptation to his surrounding and particularly, his teammates.

SF19 repped this.
  21. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Also, the pandemic...

22. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    LOL. He's a 21yo winger who has better numbers over the last 2 full seasons than everyone bar like 4 attackers. He plays in a position of need and has a profile that is deperately needed at United. He could be inconsistent and at 65% of his usual self and be a huge boost for United.

Red Jeph and benni... repped this.
  23. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    In all competitions in 19/20, Sancho got 1.07 goals & assists per 90. In 20/21 when he had a rough start, he ended up with a measly 1.06 p90.

That’s better than Bruno has ever managed (1.05 in 2019/20 for Sporting, 0.99 for Utd in 19/20, 0.95 in 20/21).

Strip out penalties and Sancho got 0.97p90 in 20/21. Bruno for us has clocked 0.59 and 0.63.

johno repped this.
  24. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    He didn't play well for much of start of last season. That was part of the reason why Dortmund almost missed out on the UCL.

25. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm not denying that. I'm just saying even when he's not at his best, he's going to be very important for us. The gap between Jadon and Mase as a winger or Jadon and Daniel James is miles wide. On an off day he's still going to have gravity and creativity what that means for our team is huge.

Anonymous_United and SF19 repped this.