That's right, Costacurta

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Dan R, Jul 30, 2002.

1. retnicf

retnicf Member

May 7, 2001
    Mount Vernon, NY
    Costacurta latest Baresi target? - fansfc.com

Pertinent quote from the above article:

"Today the news from Italy is that Baresi may be about to bid for veteran centre-half Costacurta, who is about to sign with the MLS side New York/New Jersey Metrostars."

2. AngelN

AngelN New Member

Oct 14, 1999
    how about we sign him quick and sell him to Baresi in the fall? eh? ; )

last i checked, speed was a problem for us in the back, no? 36?

oops, my bad, he's a spring ************in' chicken, wheew, thanks nick.

3. Soccertes

Soccertes Member

Jan 2, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen!

36 is old for a player. But you then get players like Lothar Mattheus and Roberto Baggio that have eternal youth. I believe Lothar could have made a difference for the Metros. Physically he still had the endurance and capability to play in MLS. But that was him and not all players his age have the same capability. In the end he came here with no respect for the team or league and turned out being a bust.

Now we're looking at Costacurta. I'm not too concerned about his age as I am concerned about his physical capabilities and his drive to want to play here. If he does come (which I doubt) I hope he isn't just comming to finish off his career; not caring how he plays, just wanting to collect a little extra ca$h.

4. retnicf

retnicf Member

May 7, 2001
    Mount Vernon, NY
  5. ronaldo9

ronaldo9 New Member

Jul 30, 2002
    tenafly
    I don't see Billy Costacurta playing for the MLS, it would be a flop....guaranteed.
    R9

6. goyette82

goyette82 Member

Jan 16, 2000
    Lowell, Ma
  7. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net

Actually ... I'm almost 100% positive that Andy has dual citizenship with Jamaica/Canada... I think he had obtained a green card through his Canadian citizenship.. which is easier of the two...Metros site has him as a non SI ,but mls.com has him as a SI...since both front offices smoke equal amounts of crack...I'm not too sure on whom to believe.

8. smith

smith New Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Look at this team's defense right now, comprised of :

1) Joe ("Tackle like a Savage") Addo

2) Ted ("Too Slow, Time Passes me by") Chronopolous

3) Craig ("Don't Call me Ziu Zou") Ziadie

4) Mike ("I believe my own hype, but get burned by the likes of Chris Carrerri & Jeff Cunningham)

5) Steve ("Spreading myself to thin to cover for Petke's inability to man mark ANYONE").

6) Marcello ("I think we'll need to amputate") Balboa

Look at this motley crew & tell me that Billy Costcurta wouldn't be a dramatic improvment even at age 36. If Williams has his green card (mystery of the week), cut Addo & Bring on Billy NOW.

9. Dan R

Dan R New Member

Jun 1, 1997
    Metro
    "It's very difficult with the amount of money we have in our salary cap," said Sakiewicz, adding that the team does not have an available senior foreign international spot on its roster. The three foreigners on the team -- Mamadou Diallo, Andy Williams and Rodrigo Faria -- have been very productive. Diallo and Faria each scored last night, and Williams assisted on both goals.

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1028193028107344.xml

10. MetroZebra

MetroZebra New Member

May 24, 2002
    I think that making room for Costacurta would be a wise decision right now, being that our defense is playing horrible soocer. Let Faria be the one to go, I say. We need to make room for a player of Costacurta's talent. He would really help this team out.

11. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Shouldn't Addo be the one to go? Till last night he was mainly coming in off the bench anyway. Is he a
    senior SI or does he have a green card?

12. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998
    But he's almost 100% Dan.

13. Thumper

Thumper New Member

Jun 8, 1999
    I agree. The downside to this is that probably a player like Faria will get the ax.

I hate to see him of all the metros go, for he works his butt off in midfield and attack.

Marcelo Balboa has not done a damn thing this year, he HAS TO GO. THERE IS NO CHOICE.

Ross Paule too could be another victim.

Remember, there not going to get rid of the small salary players, like Lisi, Ziadie, etc.

I thought the Metros have another Foriegn spot left on their roster, don't they?

14. Real Madrid

Real Madrid BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jun 23, 1999
    New York, NY
    Well I would sign him... Milan let him go only because they are trying to end an era and start an new one. Plus they have way too many players, all of Europe is having money problems and thus can't sell them to other teams... so Rossi and Billy's contracts were up and they let them go.

Also take into account that Baresi wants him for a Premiership team. If Fulham wants him, why shouldn't we. The Metros would have trouble playing in the 1st Division as it is.

The biggest reason to get him though is that we really need to change this defense and fast. There is no way we win the Cup this year with it. I think we have a chance, but we need to make a quick change now. Billy is still a top class defender, and for whoever wrote that he played great last year for Milan, he/she was totally right. I've checked with several of my Italian friends. He was there most consistant central defender.

Now lets look at Faria. Yes he has been playing well lately, but it took him a good 20 games to have 3 or 4 good ones. He hustles like crazy, moves well, but has problems executing in my eyes, something that will improve with team however. So the question here is would it be worth it to trade Faria to another team to get Costacurta? My answer is maybe. I truly think his stock is very high within the league. We could potentially get a great midfielder to substitute Ross or Moore (especially Paule who I think adds very little to this team). I wouldn’t want to get rid of Faria in terms of potential, but if we can get a Mulrooney type of player here for him, I would say lets go for it in a heart beat.

Conclusion, it is hard to say whether this would be a good move for us… but it sure is worth taking a look into as we could greatly improve our team by doing it… at least in the short to medium-term.

15. Ganush34

Ganush34 New Member

No way do we cut Faria. He's solid, and we need 3 forwards since one of them is always hurt.

16. ToddP25

ToddP25 Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Richmond, VA
    Well.....if we are to sign him, than who should we get rid of Williams or Diallo????

not the best situation, but its a numbers game and Faria should be the one to go....probably have to trade him for an allocation or discovery pick too...

17. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Couldn't we just arrange a kind of lobotomy for Petke? Nothing severe, just enough to erase the memory of media hype, Lothar, and all-star-ism. He just might return to being a talented, feisty guy who loves to play soccer!

As for Chrono -- just switch to a 3-5-2 and let him come off the bench when the game is safely tucked away.

Doesn't even have to be 3-5-2. Go to and old-fashioned 3-4-3/M-W. We actually have the players for that (3-2-2-3 or 3-2-3-2 / M-M).

Because we probably can't afford Costacurta; can't afford the salary, and can't afford to lose the SI's we've got. They are the only ones scoring for us!

18. MartyF

MartyF New Member

Nov 27, 1998
    We don't need both Balboa & Costacurta! If they wanna sign Costacurta(great move) then we have to find a way to trade or release Balboa. If Marcelo gets healthy then we dont need Costacurta right?

19. Mafia Azul

Mafia Azul New Member

Feb 19, 1999
    Titusville, PA
    If Faria goes, who's up front with Diallo? I know. Alvarez. No, wait a minute. Klinger? Hmm let's see....maybe Jolley (that was his position in college ya know). We got that new guy from Rutgers. Maybe he can score some goals for us. We can put him with Alvarez when Diallo gets suspended or injured.

The only options I see are:
    Faria being traded for an American forward. Someone not too expensive and not too talented.
    Going to a single forward formation with Diallo up top alone.
    Wait for our midfielders to get healthy so Addo can go back to the bench.
    Trade midfielders and defenders for a good holding midfielder or a strong central defender.

The inability of the team to gel in the midfield and get good ball possession are what get's us in trouble on defense.

20. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Faria and Petke to the Revolution for Harris, Revs 3rd pick in 2003 draft and "cap relief" which will help in signing Costacurta.

The Magpie

21. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    Throw in a couple pounds of whatever it is you're smoking and I might consider it. Why would the Metros make that trade? Petke, overrated as he is, is still better than anything NE has in the back, and why exactly would we give Twellman a capable partner in Faria? In return you propose Harris, a forward more past his prime than Chrono, cap relief, which we may not even need and definitely wouldn't need if we traded 2 players, and a 3rd rounder, which is the only decent part of the deal, because Davis and Faria notwithstanding, OZ never seems to draft well with our early picks.

Not likely.

More realistic would be Faria and a 2nd round pick (we have 2 of them) for Fuller and Cullen. We still get hosed, but we'd be dealing from a position of weakness. Fuller isn't bad, and keeps Alvarez off the field until Mathis is healthy, and Cullen, while a crappy defender, is a decent D-Mid. In return, NE would get Faria, a young-ish striker used to playing 2nd star to a dominant forward. They would also get a 2nd round pick in what's looking to be a strong draft. We already have a discovery pick left, so essentially, the trade would be Faria and a 2nd rounder for Cullen, Fuller and the SI slot to sign Costacurta.

JMac