That's right, Costacurta

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Dan R, Jul 30, 2002.

1. smith

smith New Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Am I missing something or don't we already have three SIs? Are either Faria or Williams close to getting a green card or something?

Don't get me wrong. Despite his age (36), I think Costacurta would be a big improvement over what's going on in the back & maybe he'll teach Petke how to be a professional as opposed to an over-rated sack of sh-t.

I just don't how we'd fit Alessandro in.

2. ToddP25

ToddP25 Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Richmond, VA
    If this is true......someone (faria) is in trouble.

3. NYC

NYC New Member

Nov 1, 1999
    Someone wanna dig up Nick's old quotes about over the hill Europeans? This would be a ************ing disgrace.

4. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does Costacurta = Lothar or is this a better fit age and attitude wise??? I know the guy is 36 or 37 but can he still play and have desire or is this one of those girl friend in NY deals we had with Oldthar??

5. PSUdude

PSUdude New Member

Dec 15, 1998
    Elmhurst, Queens, NY
    I swear they run that Daily News article, just change some of the names to make it seem different....

WE ARE NOT GETTING HIM!!!! IT IS JUST A BARGANING PLOY FOR A CONTRACT WITH AC MILAN!!!!

6. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    He's still relatively young for a central defender," he said. "He's a world-class player. He certainly has the credentials."

36? Relatively Young?

7. Indoor Recess

Indoor Recess New Member

Mar 10, 2002
    Hanover, NH
    It's a young 36

8. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but Milan cut him. He has no contract with Milan nor will he. He's persona non grata.

There were rumors that he might move to Parma now that he's looking for a place to play.

9. metro1026

metro1026 New Member

Jan 21, 1999
    Swamps of Jersey
    I think this would be a good move. He doesn't seem to have the ego of Lothar, hopefully he'll come and make a difference, just like his buddy Roberto Donadoni did. He definitely has the skills to organize and teach Jolley, Petke, and Ziadie. And we could use the help in the back. I see more positives than negatives....

10. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Metro colors are an AC Milan mirror (or rip, whatever), and we've got Little Italy, plus great restaurants in Brooklyn and Queens, Broadway and Clint's Bar in Jersey... :)

I think it's a better match than Fulham, fish-n-chips, and warm beer.

11. NYC

NYC New Member

Nov 1, 1999
    If it's such a great move, name the two guys we're gonna have to cut to get him in under the salary cap.

12. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just cut Balboa and say goodbye to faria if AW doesn't have his green card. Sign the guy to a minimal contravt this last 2 months of the season and for the max plus the next two if you only want to cut a guy like Forko.

13. Etchescary

Etchescary BigSoccer Yellow Card

Feb 14, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I think you guys need a new coach.

14. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net
    Andy got his green card early in the year with the Revs.

15. Dan R

Dan R New Member

Jun 1, 1997
    Metro
    Ummm no. MLS press release, day of the big trade:

To make room on the roster for Diallo and Williams, both of whom are senior internationals, the MetroStars have also waived senior international forward Darin Lewis. Diallo (Senegal) and Williams (Jamaica) join with Rodrigo Faria (Brazil) to give the team the MLS-maximum three senior international players.

http://www.metrofanatic.com/mf/story.jsp?ID=700

16. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like league is not very up front or honest with all their rules like this and somehow get around things when they need to. Alwyas leaves the fans up in the air to wonder what is going on ie injuries, salary cap, SI's, etc. MLS changes rules to fit their needs on a daily basis ie. Countess lottery, Mathis draw , Hernandez and Lothar salary mess, etc.

17. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    I take it Baresi was unavailable?

Geez, 36.

So that's like Brad Davis plus Santino Quaranta's age (almost). Nice going.

Not to be outdone with Metro signing Costacurta and DCU getting Gascoigne, I fully expect the Revs to sign Laurent Blanc to complete the European has-been-northeast-corridor Derby.

18. bestianera

bestianera New Member

May 21, 2001
    Valvasone
    it's between New York and London,period.

i don't follow Milan closely but he's been their more consistent defender last season by all accounts; he's lost a step but he's become an excellent director of the defensive line; he's not bothered by injuries and keeps in good shape

19. gosya

gosya Member

Feb 6, 2001
    New York
    I see this as the new "Discovery player allocation that applies to only former European internationals ages 35 and above who have no other place to stay."

20. Bill Russell

Bill Russell New Member

Apr 16, 2002
    Another old defender. We just can't get enough I suppose. Much as I admired Dooley and his professionalism, I can't forget his last season filled with tackles from behind that never got called for fouls because he was so slow he missed everything, the ball and the legs. Even assuming a good attitude and commitment, at 36 an injury is going to take longer to heal that it will for a man of 26 and we pay to have another aging
    Euro star on the bench or recovering on the Riviera.

This is a deal we don't need to make.

21. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net
    Why not take a look at the Irish veteran Terry Phelan who is playing in the A-League with the Battery. He's doing rather well..he'd cost a lot less then the Italian.

22. dirk diggler

dirk diggler Member

May 14, 2000
    Fire Daddy!
    Club:
    --other--
    Accoring to Soccer America confidential,
    he is in New Jersey, and trained with the team yesterday. He is now refusing to attend anymore training session unless he is offered a contract.

23. Mathis Fan

Mathis Fan New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Columbia, SC
    Terry Phelan has only appeared in one exhibition match and two A League matches in the last 10 days this year due a knee sprain. Yes, he looked impressive in those three matches, but he had missed 23 out of 26 matches/exhibitions.