That's not very nice

Discussion in 'International News' started by yasik19, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    That's what's so tinpot about the Iranian regime and its apologists. That line could be straight out of the standard phrasebook of some 1970's banana republic Soviet client state: "it's not our fault, it's the international conspiracy against us!".

Repression begins and ends at home. Iran is led by a tinpot dictatorship, which is solely responsible for repressing people who want better than that for Iran and aren't prepared to put up with such backward third world practices.

2. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Religious thuggery and intimidation, obviously.

3. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Then this turns into an anti-US post? Come on!

4. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What "threats from outside"? It's the choice of the Iranians alone how they want to live (nevertheless, your government will face criticism & isolation for jailing and threatening intellectuals)...

But you could face some serious "threats from outside" soon ... if you don't stop threatening other countries, fueling conflicts and sponsoring terrorists! :rolleyes:

Since when are the Revolutionary Guards a "sunni group" ?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...eda-praise-for-role-in-terrorist-attacks.html

5. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The sanctions are imposed and surely will increase (even the use of force can't be ruled out any longer) because you don't stop your A bomb project and support diverse terrorist groups!

Concerning the Israelis, I don't think that they want and need an "implosion" with Iran as long as they don't feel threatened by crazy people like Khamenei & Ahmadinejad!

How I told you, it's in the hands of your government whether there will be an escalation with serious consequences for your country and maybe the whole Middle East. Stop threatening the state of Israel ("The Zionists have to be wiped off the map"), stop opposing the peace process between Israelis & Palestinians, stop seeking for the A bomb, stop supporting terrorists, stop jailing intellectuals ... and nobody will have any intention to threaten your country, since we all want nothing but peace and a good relationship between all nations in Middle East!

6. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, you can get a permit to chant death threats at someone?

7. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Apparently, it's required in Iran! :D
    "Sir, what makes you think you can host a successful 'Death to America' gathering?"

8. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She seems unclear if they had a permit or not. And while I doubt permits are issued to chant death threats, we have a long history in the US of requiring groups to get a permit to rally (I always get a kick out of reading about anarchist groups who get permits to promote their ideology!), so that part isn't too remarkable.

9. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We know that, the way it was worded though was amusing.

10. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The only reason that I find your continuous peddling of politically motivated allegations regarding Iranian involvement with Al Queda offensive, is because this is a group that is hated by both the Iranian government and Iranian people and which hates them back in return. And because this group, and those affiliated to them, with backing from foreign intelligence services affiliated to the US, have indeed committed and are committing terrorism and crimes against Iranians.

Otherwise, the only threats from the US/Israel that I take seriously are ones that the US was carrying out the past 6-7 years and which focus precisely on what I have said: an Israeli advocated policy of creating an "implosion" in Iran through economic sanctions, diplomatic and political isolation of Iran, with the CIA and others working with a host of groups (some peaceful, some borderline, and others which are outright terrorists and criminals) to destablize Iran's government.

Although I can certainly give you plenty of links from western sources on each of these points, and even though some of this is done quite openly with direct funding that is not intended to be even a secret, I don't give a hoot what western sources say on any of these issues anyway. Nor whether you accept it or not. I don't need an admission from the US/Israel on any of these points to know what is going on.

As for the allegations of Iran working with Al Queda, imminating from those who sponsored the group in the past and, despite 9/11, have started working with them again, you can take those allegations and do with it as you wish: they will neither lessen my hatred of Al Queda and its associated ideology (an ideology that is first and foremost anti Iranian and anti shia before it is anything else) nor affect how I view the US/Israeli propagandists who are behind these offensive allegations. (Offensive, not because of Al Queda's actions against the US, since Iran's government openly chants its views about the US and paints it on whatever it can find. Offensive because this is the one group that supporters of Israel can compete with in a popularity contest among Iranians!).

In the meantime, if you are wondering why I don't take the threats of military action against Iran seriously? The answer is simple to me: First, because Israel is simply incapable of carrying out any of these threats and the US has bailed out of that invitation, even if it was giving it some thought before. I know that even if you don't. Second, because if Israel tried any such thing, it would be hit so hard it wouldn't be able to recover or exist. Third, because the latter will happen regardless of the fact that the Israelis have tried to enlist the US to "obliterate Iran" in case it attacks Israel. Fourth, because I prefer Iran "obliterated" if that is the price to pay to not have to listen to dictates of people who have no business trying to dictate their policies and priorities on Iran.

11. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I like to post the results of a Poll of Iranian Public Opinion conducted by World Public Opinion.org on some of the issues that have been raised here. This, because of the pretense that the US favors democracy and civil liberty in Iran, when the policies that the US objects to the most (i.e., on Iran's foreign policy and nuclear program) are precisely the ones that have clear support by a majority of Iranians.

I guess the US supports a "democratic government" in Iran which will somehow be elected on a platform that runs counter to Iranian public opinion, and which carries out policies in opposite of those preferred by its electorate!

Let me summarize the most salient points from that poll, as with many others, which you can read on your own for the details.

1) The overwhelming majority of Iranians support Iran's nuclear program. Even in the face of threats and western and UN sanctions.

2) An ovewhelming majority of Iranians do not consider Israel a legitimate entity.

3) A clear majority of Iranians have favorable views on groups like Hezbollah and Hamas.

4) Iranians overwhelming hate Al Queda and its leaders.

5) A strong majority of Iranians, while opposing US foreign policy, harbor no ill will against Americans and prefer good relations between Iran and the US -- albeit, not on American terms.

6) An overwhelming majority of Iranians consider having a democratic system of government extremely desirable.

7) On a scale of 1-10 to describe their own system of government and its democratic credentials, the mean average among those polled was 6.9 -- few rated Iran perfect (i.e., 10), most rated it above average, and very few rated it below average in this regard.

8) When asked about respect for civil rights in Iran, 70% felt Iran provides either "a lot" of such protections (21%) or some (49%), while 27% felt it provides none (7%) or "not much" (20%).

12. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So let's hope that your government & Al Qaida really hate each other that much ... although I have doubts, because a serious British newspaper surely won't publish such an article if it was only a hoax.

Anyway both have a common enemy and common goal (to wipe Israel off the map)...

LOOOL!

Yep, the USA are colaborating with Al Qaida ... therefore they have sent so many troups to Afghanistan. Just to have a nice game with them. :p

Well, maybe you're just as crazy as your president...

When do you finally understand that nobody has any intention of confronting Iran if your clerics & government stop threatening other countries and opposing the peace process between Israelis & Palestinians? Since your sick president was so silly to promise Israel's destruction (which will never happen) even in PUBLIC and is looking for the A bomb now, you don't have to wonder about Israel's and the whole world's suspicion!

13. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That might be true. But it's still the Iranian people's decision how they want to live (although I doubt that many people in Iran have another choice than accepting what the Mullahs - with the "help" of the so-called "Revolutionary Guards" - order them). If the Americans were really interested in doing the same to Iran what they did to Saddam, they'd surely not have decided to take all their troups back home soon! But now, since your country looks like becoming a serious threat to the whole region, they might change their decision and keep a significant force in the Gulf region...

Instead of being thankful that they did you the favour to remove Saddam, your silly government is going to provoke them seriously. But keep in mind that it's never a good choice to challenge the superpower...

14. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    I see you have brought up the canard about Ahmedinejad wanting to "drive Israel into the sea" or something. My understanding of what Ahmedinejad said was that he wanted the regime occupying Jerusalem to be wiped from the pages of time. It was therefore not a desire to eliminate Israel, but a desire for a change in the Israeli regime.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2006/jun/14/post155

I do not speak Farsi unfortunately, but i understand that the words used were:

"Imam ghoft een rezhim-e ishghalgar-e qods bayad az safheh-ye ruzgar mahv shavad"

Can a Farsi-speaker clarify?

15. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    LOOOL.

You really don't believe your own words, do you? But well, what can we expect from a lawyer who dreams of a califate and the prophet's return? :rolleyes:

16. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Do you know the difference between a Sunni and a Shia? No? Do you know the difference between an Imam and a Prophet? No?

Then why don't you go and educate yourself, instead of going around telling me what i do and don't believe?

I don't know why your so upset that i'm a lawyer, either. I suggest you chill out, stop assuming my views and if you want to know what I think, simply ask politely instead of foaming at the mouth.

Many thanks.

17. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Don't worry, I know the difference ... but it doesn't mind.

You know very well why I am still so pissed at you. A lawyer should be clever & educated enough not to make such shocking & silly statements you have done in the old thread!

18. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    I am not trolling in this forum, I have thought through my positions carefully, and sincerely believe in them. You should accept my right to believe in them, or persuade me otherwise.

They may shock you (they are perfectly sensible in my view) but to mock them as "silly" does you no favours.

19. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't speak Farsi but I found this...

http://www.thetruthseeker.co.uk/print.asp?ID=5866

He was apparently quoting the late, (and not particularly lamented), Ayatollah Khomeini when he said it.

Word by word translation:

Imam (Khomeini) ghoft (said) een (this) rezhim-e (regime) ishghalgar-e (occupying) qods (Jerusalem) bayad (must) az safheh-ye ruzgar (from page of time) mahv shavad (vanish from).

Which doesn't mean 'Israel must be wiped from the map', clearly.

However, that doesn't alter the fact that Ahmadinejad is the most appalling populist leader whose attempts to appeal to the most bigoted 'lowest common denominator' in Iranian politics only serves the interests of right-wing hawks in the west.

20. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    One of your rare contributions on issues relevant to Iran. You got the translation right.
    :rolleyes:

21. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, it's not my translation to be fair but, on the other matter.... strangely enough I don't wake up every morning in Shropshire, England and ask, "Well, how's Iran doing today". Sorry to disappoint you.

On the other hand I don't ask how the Israeli's, the French, Germans, Italians, Indonesians, Americans or any one else for that matter, is doing. I'm mainly concerned with how Britain is doing and that's because I live here.

22. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    what about Scolari and Roman? Do you ask how they are doing? :D

23. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club: