Thanks MSG

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by soccerdome, Oct 30, 2002.

1. soccerdome

soccerdome New Member

Did anyone else think that MSG did a good job of showing soccer this year? I thought they were great. The Metro Soccer Report was really good. It was nice to actually watch an all-soccer show once a week. We need more shows like that.

2. BallStateMiddie

BallStateMiddie New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Nashvegas
    From the several games I watched on the Shootout, they did a pretty standup job as far as commenting and whatnot. I did have a huge problem with the black dude that did the Sportsdesk or whatever that was. I think I probably saw him 5-6 times, and literally every single time he either mispronounced somebody's name or mis-labeled a call or something like that, half the time it was on the Metros, which is a little silly. One time, I honestly heard him call MLS MSL one time. That seems a little ridiculous. I do remember noticing how often they were plugging the half hour shows and stuff like that, so it seems like you're probably right.

3. MetroMLS

MetroMLS Member

NYCFC
    Chile
    Mar 24, 1999
    Miford, CT
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets thank MSG directly by sending an email, and tell what a great job they did. Go Metros...

4. NJPsycho

NJPsycho New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Dirty Jerzee
    The best thing about MSG is their commentators, Shep messing and Steve Cangilosi (sp?). Unlike Jack Edwards on ESPN;
    they don’t ignore the game for an interview,
    they know who every player is (not just the national team players),
    they know when to shut up during the game,
    and they have the balls to criticize the players and coaches on their own home team.

5. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    This is their best quality. I cannot stand to listen to homers (ie. Mr. Tutino and Mr. Davis).

6. I agree with what everyone has said so far. I think Messing is tremendous. He really let the team and the players have it by naming names the final telecast when they lost to New England. He is 100 times better than Ty. JP Dellacamera is always stellar. Cangiolosi does a tremendous job in the studio and on the field. He seems to really have a great deal of knowledge of soccer for an American sports reporter. One note, the reason MSG invested so heavily in soccer is because they lost the Yankees to the YES network. So the Metros were their main team all summer. Also, once they started covering the metros in this way, they got very good ratings. They regularly beat hockey.

7. BallStateMiddie

BallStateMiddie New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Nashvegas
    Just out of curiousity, do you have the numbers for this? I'd like to see what kind of ratings MLS gets in its home towns.

8. RushOnze

RushOnze New Member

May 16, 2001
    Colorado
    Not to mention that MSG tested the Spanish market by broadcasting one match completely in spanish (not just SAP) simoultaneously on the second channel. Result: the same rating as the English version. No big deal you say? just that it means that they doubled their audience.

9. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC