Thanks for the memories, WUSA

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Tony Biscaia, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Tony Biscaia

Tony Biscaia Member

Feb 17, 1999
    WUSA ceases operations as of Sept. 15th. Looks like the anti-soccer snobs win another round, by a knockout.

Shame, it was so much fun while it lasted... My personal thanks to all who made it a great experience for the players, media and especially for the young fans.

May we live to see a rebirth, as unlikely as it seems today.

Tony Biscaia

2. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if there's any chance that Amos Hostetter would try to take the Breakers into the W-League? I bet they'd still be able to draw reasonably well, and they might even be able to stay in Nickerson with some of the same players....

3. RedZion

RedZion New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    How will this work with the Renegades?

4. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beats me. I'm just speculating, since the Breakers seem to be a pretty well run franchise, and it's not like all the Breakers' players and staff are going to be running off to Europe (Pia, Dagny and Stephanie aside, of course)....

5. Weymouth Dave

Weymouth Dave Member

Mar 4, 2001
    Weymouth
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I will miss it dearly.It was beautiful, fluid soccer played and administered by great people who worked like dogs. I wish Joe Cummings and all his people the best.

Weymouth Dave

6. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Breakers Players In Europe Next Year

All of the Breakers won't be running off to Europe, but Ragnhild Gulbrandsen is back in Norway and would like to see Kate Sobrero and Kristine Lilly playing for her club Trondheims-Ørn next year:
    Kolbotn wants to have Mellgren

7. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a thread started in FM called Favorite WUSA Memories. Add your $0.02 to the list.

The pro-am conflict with the W-League will be an issue. I expect a number of younger players will go to the W-League and augment the per diem with clinics and camp staff jobs. The older, founding players will head overseas or simply hang out for the USWNT camps.