Thanks Bobby Rhine

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Pegasus, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I applaud Bobby for coming over and really talking to the fans when it would be much easier to go hide in the dressing room. None of liked the result but hearing some of the players explain it in person always makes a little easier to swallow. Now what midfielder is ready to step up to the legacy of Leonel and Oscar and be the heart and soul of this team? It's obvious that we are missing that engine that plays their ace off 'till the last second and keeps the crowd fighting for the team until the whistle.

2. Gina Z.

Gina Z. New Member

Apr 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    I mentioned this in the postgame thread a bit, but good call on making a separate thread.

Bobby waited until the majority of the players had left to come over and apologize. Every game- no matter what- bad or good? Bobby is always the one to come over to us and either thank us for the support or own up to the team's mistakes. He's a great guy, and as cheesy as this may sound? After that game and how awful it was to watch? Hearing Bobby pretty much echo everything we said was what we needed to hear. Made the trip semi-worth it... if it hadn't been worth it before.

3. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Used to be more than one standup guy on the team. I would hope there will be more in the future as they don't deserve to have fans go on road trips at present with their effort and actions afterward. They might not realize it but it pretty hard to travel for miles and be the ones taking all the schtick from the other teams fans for what they are (and especially aren't) doing on the field. We gave a good effort until it was 0-3 and wondered why we should keep it up when it was obvious they were mailing it in.

4. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This may or may not be the place to add my piece:

I am consistently disappointed in the acknowldgement of the FC Dallas players on the field to its fans - I can't speak to other MLS teams.

It used to be better. Nowadays what the fans get is Bobby Rhine. God bless him, rain or shine, he comes over close to the stands and claps. Sometimes even speaking to some lucky few (being female and cute helps :D ). From a handful of other players we may get a turn and quick clap from the center circle. From more than half the team it is usually nothing at all.

For a team in a league that fights pitched battles overy ticket sold or nickel spent it surprises me that MLS players don't do the simplest and easiest thing to make the fans feel like we are all in this together - because we damn well are, like or or not. MLS front offices spend bags of money and years of their lives trying to form a bond between the fan and the team. Yet MLS teams walk straight to the locker room and don't do teh quickest and easiest thing to say thank you to the few who actually show up to watch

There was nothing cooler than seeing teams in the World Cup GO OVER AS A TEAM and salute their fans. You see this from club teams in Germany, Italy and South America - the entire team goes over and bows in unison to the crowd. But its not just one way - the crowd salutes back.

Its not fun to do when you lose, I understand that. But win or lose the fans are with the team. Just like the players. We are not customers, we are not a market or a target demographic for a particular product. We are fans of a team. And it would be nice to be acknowledged beyond how many tickets we buy or how many burger baskets we eat.

If I were coach of the Hoops, I would tell my team: win or lose, stars and scrubs, starters and subs - to go over over as one and salute the crowd behind the team bench (who pay the bills) and the crowd behind the goal (the ones who make the noise).

There aren't that many MLS fans out here - so its even more imprtant to strengthen the bond. What you give, you will get back ten fold.

5. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    As the resident Dariologist I should remind you all that SuperSala also makes a solid effort to appreciate the fans for their support.

6. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    Well, to be fair we would've pretty much given the whole team the finger last night after that game so I don't blame them for not coming over. But yeah Bobby is easily one of the nicest guys I've met. A professional through and through and hopefully a guy who stays in the FCD system for well after his playing days.

7. FC Zippy

FC Zippy Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Midland
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You should see my little boy (age 5) after every single game running frantically up and down the edge of the stands yelling his lungs out to get the attention of any hoops player that will sign his soccer ball after games. I mean, the kidis FIVE and these guys are his HEROES. And while he has received a number of autographs, there are players that just seem oblivious to the fans. Richard Mulrooney seems to be one. Ronnie O'Brien is another. I think Dario Sala has his own secret exit he disappears so fast.

Props to Pitch, Bobby, Kenny, Simo and the others that have taken the time to sign.

My point is, I agree with you totally that MLS- or at least FCD- need to encourage players to acknowledge the fans. Bow, courtsey, shoot the finger, hell. Just don't bolt for the locker room and hope the fans were glad just to see you when you need every one of us souls (And more) there to support you.

8. FC Uptown

FC Uptown New Member

Feb 3, 2006
    H-town
    True Statement

9. FC Zippy

FC Zippy Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Midland
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Maybe he checks in with the Blessed Inferno- but for us regular season ticket holders, I've never seen him come over.

Just sayin'.

10. JuanIg

JuanIg New Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Dallas
    The best place to get autographs is outside the players' parking lot exit. I've taken my son (also 5) there several times and not a single player has turned him down. They all posed for pictures, too.

This way, you can be sure that all players actually hear your kid yelling, instead of hoping they do over the stadium noise and music blaring over the loud speaker.

11. SheffieldPHX

SheffieldPHX New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Couldn't agree more....me and FC Koshigaya were in the DEFINITE minority Saturday at the LA/FCD game in LA and I shouted Drew Moor's name and he gave a clap when warming up but Bobby Rhine came over to see some folks he must have known and when we came over to say hi, he was nothing but class. He took time out after a tough loss and even saying sorry we came so far for a poor result..heck, I felt like I was having to cheer HIM up. Always enjoyed him as a player, but knowing how class that dude is, it makes him that much cooler.

The way I was yelling my head off to cheer some of the guys on at LA, I was a bit surprised they didn't come over (we even had FCD shirts on in a very unfriendly stadium). Granted, they were warming up, so I won't read into it as their job is to win games and not make me giggle like a girl. Nevertheless, I was trying to let them know we were there to support 'em, and it was tough...

But Bobby Rhine is the man, pure and simple...

12. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    He doesn't come over....he turns around and gives a clap before and after the game.

13. FC Zippy

FC Zippy Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Midland
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks for the info. However, is this the exit that's the 'tunnell' in the east parking lot?

And, btw, great for your kid. You gotta know it thrills him.

14. FC Zippy

FC Zippy Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Midland
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Maybe if you all offered him a plate of enchiladas, he would come over. I know I would. You know, for enchiladas.

15. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    All we have to offer is beer and confetti.

16. theramblingscot

theramblingscot New Member

Jul 14, 2004
    Norman, OK
    Maybe we should clarify - Bobby comes over after every single AWAY game. Hitch has come over after every away game as well, and last night I felt terrible for him. Travis was ripping into the team/Hitch so badly, Hitch was just staring at me and I felt embarassed for him. The loss shouldn't have been taken out on Hitch...it should have been taken out on the players...

Anyways, Bobby Rhine IS pure class.

The exit someone was talking about earlier where the players pose for pics and sign autographs is on the NorthWest corner of the stadium. The majority of the players come out that way, a few escape through the stadium club I think. I know Simo comes out on the INSIDE of the stadium from the locker room, it's still the NW corner of the stadium, just on the inside. Ronnie and Carlos are pretty hard to track down, your best bet is probably to go to a FCD practice if you can. Next time your kid has the day off of school (or at 5 maybe they're on half-days of kindergarten?) check with the FCD Front Office and see if there's practice and take your kid if you can. It's fun to watch and the guys will always sign something or take a picture. As for Dario, he comes out at the NW corner like most of the other guys...sometimes he comes out really quick, but he never disappears through his own exit...he's one of the friendliest, most approachable guys on the team. Again you might just want to go by practice if you wanna make your kids life and get autographs/pics :D

17. justscore

justscore Member

May 31, 2004
    Southlake
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bobby is PURE CLASS!!!!!!!!!

Take your kid to a training, the guys always say hi and shake the kids' hands and will sign stuff. We've been going since the dreaded 2003.

I'm sure if FCD had scored, they would have celebrated with the Infernites a la Chicago.

18. FC Zippy

FC Zippy Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Midland
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ok, I'm in for the beer. But confetti has very little effect on my palate.

19. FC Zippy

FC Zippy Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Midland
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks to theramblingscot and justscore. You guys get rep and my sincere thanks.

20. Valerie Simmons

Sep 2, 2000
    Burkburnett, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bobby has always taken the time, even at home games, to talk with the fans. All my kids pick him as their favorite player - back when he had a bad sprain in 2002? he spent 15 minutes with my kid comparing her cast after one game. He is a true gentleman. At the auction last year for the American Cancer Society the Inferno had because I'd had cancer the year before, he donated several brand new items, including a beautiful pair of cleats one of my kids happened to win. He continues, in my opinion, to serve the fans of his team in a lot of ways. (By the way, kudos to everyone again for such a great effort and thoughtful wonderful thing to do!)

I miss the Cotton Bowl days where half the players used to come over before the game and distribute the signed balls to OUR side of the field.

I remember hoping for an arrangement like Arrowhead, where the supporters' groups were next to where the players entered the field.

Proximity to the players to allow for audible feedback from the fans just wasn't meant to be.

Perhaps when we all receive the appropriate cost of living raises we deserve, we could consider moving the Inferno seating to heap praises on the players as they enter and leave the field because we can all afford the season tickets in that section!!