Thank you to MLSNET for showing the world that Mullan was offside

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by ElJefe, Jul 5, 2005.

1. ZenCarver

ZenCarver New Member

May 26, 2003
    Richardson, TX
    See? Absolutely no sarcasm here.

2. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad you don't listen.

3. Jonno

Jonno New Member

Oct 28, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Well you are right to a point.

Winning MLS Cup is most important I grant you but winning the supporters shield gives me the satisfaction of knowing my team was the best team of 2005, period. That is not to be sneezed at and is important to me. Certainly the SS is a lot different to the All-Star game which means absolutely nothing & is a complete waste of time.

4. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Yeah, too bad....I'll just have to go on living my life under my own terms and not yours.....what a waste.

5. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For most fans, while the MLS Cup is primo, the SS and USOC are also worth chasing. Not at the expense of the MLS Cup, mind you - but they are not minor.

I'm with Tex - I'll be pis$ed if we fall short on the SS by two points. Hopefully we t.c.o.b. against the Rev and it isn't an issue.

6. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be honest I'll be somewhat pissed too if we fall short of the SS by two points. I just don't think the SS is worth the aggravation of "going ballistic" if we don't get it.

But if a call like that causes us to lose out on the MLS Cup; well, I might hand texgator a stick of dynamite to take care of the AR. :) ;)

7. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, as you recall, Esky got away with an obvious handball in last year's MLS Cup. but as I have said since then (not on BigSoccer, since I'm new here) DC United played better than Kansas City that whole match and I think they truly won it. there's still room for complaint if you're KC, but I think most objective viewers would put DC as the winners despite the handball.

not so for Hoops vs. Quakes... we didn't play a great game, but the outcome would probably have been different were it not for that lousy no-call. but I guess we'll just have to let it go for sanity's sake.

8. Banal Minutia

Banal Minutia New Member

Apr 17, 2005
    New Jersey
    who cares, clarks goal was the nicest one of the week anyway...cheeky stuff

9. Kermmy803

Kermmy803 Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Denton County, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Is this the same AR from NE ‘03

Officials from NE 4/26/03

Referee: Kevin Terry
    AR’s: Emiliano Monje; Jorge Bandera
    4th: Jasen Anno

Officials from SJ 7/2/05

Referee: Alex Prus
    AR’s: Fabian Tovar; Emiliano Monje
    4th: Kevin Terry

Normal protocol for listing referees and assistants on match reports is for the Sr. AR to be listed first, then the Jr AR.

This same protocol also calls for the Sr AR to run the same touch line where the team benches are located while the Jr AR runs the opposite touch line.

The call made at SuckLake was the Sr AR’s call as the goal was scored at the scoreboard end (I was there sitting on the opposite end of the field and could see the offside) of the field and the Sr AR was on that end of the field.

The call made Sat night was the Jr AR’s call as the goal was scored on the Inferno’s end of the field and the Jr AR was on that end of the field.

megman63’s positive identification and the above information all leads back to Mr Monje being the guilty party here.

Funny noting that back in ’03 he was a Sr AR and now is a Jr AR. That could have to do with the seniority of the other AR on Sat, but my thought of the downgrade being due to poor performance can’t be too far off, now can it?

10. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    Yeah, and if Gbandi had not stopped dead in his tracks he could have gotten back to perhaps make a stop on the incoming goal.

The only thing I hate worse than a bad call is a giveup that may have changed things.

11. SoccerPro843

SoccerPro843 Member

Dec 3, 2004
    Austin, Tx
    :confused:

12. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clarke's goal was pretty sweet - dammit.

13. megman63

megman63 New Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Granbury
    It is hard to blame Gbandi on this because if you watch he is stepping in the opposite direction creating the off sides. Had he been moving in the same direction then you could complain that he gave up but Mullin is a quick player and if you are running the opposite direction it looks alot worse because of the movement on the field. Watch and you'll see Gbandi getting back to the 18 right after Scott missed Mullin.

14. SoccerPro843

SoccerPro843 Member

Dec 3, 2004
    Austin, Tx
    Oh ok, gotcha.

15. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    Virtually stopping dead in your tracks is what prevented him from getting back and possibly making the play. The ball did not go straight into goal. The split second was costly.

16. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

I'm with Gbandi on this.....you have to sell the trap....any hesitation could cost you.....he did his job and it wasn't like he stood their, he made the effort. I love the trap but for it to work.....you gotta commit to it fully. In this case, the AR had his head up his ass and no coach should fault Gbandi for that. I could see if he just stood there and given up but he didn't.

17. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Agreed, you can't play the trap AND track the player. As soon as Gbandi recognized the miscall, and after taking the same "Are you serious" pause that everyone in the stadium did, he got back on his horse and tried to get back in the play. Selling the trap is crucial, there is nothing like an insync backline standing at the same "longitude" with their arms up to subconsciously tell the linesman that the attacker was offsie.

18. Zé Bill

Zé Bill Member

Mar 21, 2004
    texgator: "an insync backline..... WITH THEIR ARMS UP to subconsciously tell the linesman that the attacker was offside" [emphasis mine]

in cases like the Mullan offside, that's what I call

"pointing towards the Only Power that can help you now!"

[capitalization intended]

19. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    And we all know that G-d hates Dallas.

20. Wheezer10

Wheezer10 New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Kennedale, TX
    Costly for what. Doing what he is supposed to do and hold the line. Ridiculous, plain and simple the AR didn't make the call and that was what was costly.

21. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    He not only held the line, he stepped up to increase the gap......had Zak Ibsen only learned this skill, the Quakes GA # would have been a bit less.

22. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate all referees. That is city league bad. And it cost us 2 points. MFers.

Eric Wynalda is right:

"Players win games...Coaches lose games and referees ruin games."

23. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised you agree with Waldo.

That's got to be one of the stupider things he's said, and that's saying something.

24. SoccerPro843

SoccerPro843 Member

Dec 3, 2004
    Austin, Tx
    It may sound stupid but as a player I know that it is true. Refs suck. In 8 years of playing I've only had about 6 good refs.

25. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But think of the alternative.

Imagine a pro soccer match where their are no refs and the players police themselves.

I'd put the over/under for a serious injury or fist fight at 30 minutes if there were no refs on the field.