Thank you Pia

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Adam Zebrowski, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    According to the story in the Boston forum Pia is now there head coach.

2. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Confirmed: Pia's in Boston....and good luck.

http://www.bostonbreakers.com/news/index.cfm?nid=182

Inevitable, perhaps; one more mountain to climb for us :( . But it's the league's gain. Knock 'em dead, Pia.

Paul

3. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Boston's a paper playoff team. With Pia at the helm, they're going to be in the playoffs next season.

Boston's a defender away from the playoffs. Will Pia acquire Iverson?

4. YOMITTS

YOMITTS New Member

Jul 30, 2002
    The ? is will mark give any of theTIMBer away don't think so.The Charge are just one midfilder away.

5. John T

John T New Member

Aug 8, 2002
    South Jersey
    http://www.socceramerica.com/article.asp?Art_ID=562132115

Another article, this by SoccerAmerica.

As for Pia moving for any of the backline, I don't mind her asking. I just think she'll be politely told no.

At least that's what I hope. I know there's a feeling of needing some offensive punch, but, personally, I don't think it's a pressing enough need to break up the backline. Especially with Kelly coming back at full strength, most likely.

6. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you, Philly.

7. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    One of the problems could be depth in defense.

Alfiler has shown she can be a back-up outside back, but at central defense, the Charge need more depth.

So if Pia wants a defender, Alfiler might interest her.

Any other Charge defender, I ask for Mellgren from Boston,

And with the two first round draft choices, I expect central defense to be addressed, unless the foreign allocation for Liu gets used defensively.

8. PoetSong

PoetSong New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Massachusetts

Absolutely not! :D We love our Norwegians and Germs, and they are staying put! :)

9. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    Poet Song, we'd just ask.

Is Kamholz still with Boston?

The one thing Boston needs a bit more mobility in the back, and I'm sure Pia will address it.

Andrea Alfiler might be a player Pia would want and could easily acquire and she'd address the mobility matter.

10. g4m

g4m New Member

Oct 28, 2000
    New Jersey
    id rather try to sell her on the returning karvelsson myself, i like alfiler too much to trade shes a prospect and you keep your prospects and trade your bench vets...and i think we can get more with karvelsson.

how bout this...Mcdowell (who will be run out by tullock with kelly returning), karvelsson, and the 7 pick (from freedom) for boston's #1 (3 pick)

11. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    I agree defense is a total team concept for the Charge and players like Monroe and McDowell is where defending starts.

So who would you want with the #3 pick assuming Wagner and Welsh go 1 and 2?

12. PoetSong

PoetSong New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Adam,

I understand on wanting Mellgren- I was just having fun and playing around a bit.

I think that if you took Mellgren from Boston, Lil would cry buckets and demand that she not go. Read any thing from Lil, and she speaks HIGHLY of the Norwegians and Germs.

I don't blame you for wanting her in return; however, no way :D

Yes, Kalli Kamholz is still with Boston- she was a reserve, and started the game vs. Carolina- 8 June- played on Prinz and did an AMAZING job shutting her down- even Marcia McDermott said so after the game.

Do you suspect with Pia in Boston Kalli will/or has a chance of seeing more time on the field?

My guess is that Pia and the Breakers staff will either find a defender or two in the college ranks or overseas.. or maybe around the US who noone thinks is much decent, but has skill.

13. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    I'm just kidding about Mellgren.

If Boston is out of foreign allocations, then finding a international defender means losing one of your existing foreigners.

The big question is what defender is available in the draft, as I assume Wagner and Welsh go 1st and 2nd.

Then I agree getting another defender froim another team, Andrea Alfiler is a perfect example, NAIA player, who filled in well a few times. Generally, she was a reserve and Pia would know all about her.

Also, as g4m mentioned getting a pest in midfield like Monroe or McDowell is where defending begins, and Pia might try for McDowell, since the Charge will have numbers problems with Kelly Smith and Karvellson returing and 2 #1 draft choices.

The big edge Pia has is all the players will just love her and give everything.

The only question I have is wilkl Norwegians listen to a Swede????

14. g4m

g4m New Member

Oct 28, 2000
    New Jersey
    anyone got a draft list...id probley actually use the 3 as bait with clemens to try to get the 1 or 2 unless there is another good midfielder we could get.

15. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    Speaking from the Boston perspective, we give them picks #6 and #7 for their pick #3.

I don't recollect a Slaton level defender being available, so Boston using a #3 on a defender wouldn't happen, so they might do a trade, get a defender like Boyd from Nebraska (Benson is another b named husker) and then pick up another quality player.

And with a #3 pick the Charge take the best available talent after Welsh and Wagner.

We need to let the women play their final season.

BAck to Poet Songs mentioning of Kalmholz, I belive the presence of Sundhage helps her maintain a roster slot, because she Kalmholz knows how Pia wants to play, and Kalmholz presence gives a teaching edge.

I still believe she's a back-up central defender though.

Boston's problem is scoring, but defending, and Pia will fix that. Adding one player with talent, and marginal improvement from others makes them a playoff contender. Just fix the mobility issue in the back.

16. norfcath

norfcath New Member

Aug 17, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Hey, listen everybody. Don't get your hopes up for Kelly to come back 100% right away. We saw with Mike Lieberthal that that type of injury takes about a year to heal completely. Please, Lord, tell me I'm wrong!

17. runbabyrun

runbabyrun New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    Lauren Orlandos is an unbelievable defender. 5'10 and rock solid. She plays for Portland.

18. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    I agree Orlandos would be a perfect selection for Boston at #3. The affect would be to soldify them in the back to give Boston at major play-off shot.

I agree with norfcaf about Smith not being 100%, but the question is is she closer to 50 than to 90% recovered.

60% of Kelly still gives the Charge the playmaker, not able to do the coast to coast goal she got against DC, but still a force. And her presence puts every one else into their preferred roles.

Which helps Mandy Clemens more than any other single player.

The more I think about it the more I say keep picks 6 and 7 and get depth at keeper (Solo?) and at central defense (??) with the foreign allocation being an offensively minded player (??)

19. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    You're not a Chicken Little, nor should I be called one when I say that I don't think we see Kelly until mid-May at the earliest. I'm as worried about the meniscus which took a hit along with the ACL...

Paul