Thank you Philipp Lahm!! / Lahm retires from Int football

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by P to the Wee, Jul 18, 2014.

1. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What a legend, let's hope he decides to return for the 2016 and not go through with this retirement

Crisstti repped this.
  2. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  3. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And how about you and Maxwell??? Seems like they have to all work in concert....He may be getting prepared for a Massive Trolling Armada on bigsoccer as we speak!

Not many from the South African campaign showed up here during 2014 WC...so if he is worthy of that title you are decorating him with...he shall return and you need not to worry:cautious::cautious::cautious::cautious:

4. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    nooooo thats sad news ... Lahm can play two more years???

5. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Who ill be the new captain, I hope not khedira ?

6. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What a shocker.. I thought he would play at least the EC in two years.. I am just stunned.. Good news for Bayern though.

Lahm is the epitome of what German football has gone through the last decade. From the deepest downs to the greatest highs. He just could play all positions, always calm, always delivering. Fluctuations of form? Not with Lahm.. One of the most consistent players in the history of the sport.

I take my hat off to Philipp Lahm, for me one of the best full backs ever and a all time great.

7. HANS-GUNTER BRUNS

Mar 3, 2007
    VANCOUVER-BC
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

My Bad thought P to wee was ref to our pseudo Philip lahm ( lahmfan) here on big soccer..thats why my post sounded more like chinese to me after reading it again:ROFLMAO::confused::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::sick::sick::sleep::sleep::sleep::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

8. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It is pity.
    I thought he would play European Championship and after this he will retire.
    O.K we still have him at Bayern Munich.
    Now, Klose, Lahm.....I think will not hear that Schweini is also finishing..hm...Löw?:)
    we will see..
    but it is pity...
    He was my favorite National player...

9. Ryan07

Ryan07 New Member

Jul 18, 2014
    So who could replace Lahm now? :( I really hope for someone as good as him although he's quite unique!

10. Junster

Junster Member

Nov 30, 2013
    Florida
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #10 Junster, Jul 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
    Whoa that's a bummer! I respect Lahm's decision and I thank our captain for all his contributions over the years, but what was the hurry? He must have his own reasons, but he's still 30 (not too old for a defender) and I think it's still a bit too early for him to retire from international football. I expected him to stay at least until Euro '16, if not WM '18. I was hoping for Germany to build an era of dominance over the next few years, but Lahm's sudden retirement decision comes as a serious disappointment right after the joy of winning the world cup. Not happy at all! :(

Crisstti, dips82 and Dhajj repped this.
  11. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Does this remind anybody to Paul Breitner '82 (31)?

12. Psychosis hsv

Psychosis hsv Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Excellent players retire before their time. Bad ones have to be kicked out. Good decision,

13. Wappy

Wappy Member

Jun 18, 2007
    HK
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I am so SO sad about this news. I understand the idea of leaving at the peak of power to make a legacy, but its a great disappointment as with the World Cup win things are rosy and optimistic and I was hoping to see Lahm leading Germany to EC2016 (tough call but with a winning mentality and Loew finally turning it around it could be coming).

And in any case even if Germany don't win EC2016 his legacy is still intact based on the last ten years. Its a great shame that one of the best fullbacks in the history of the game will not be serviceable anymore to Germany. I am just glad I own a Lahm jersey, but we will all miss him. Thank you Philipp

Heres hoping for a decent replacement - Grosskreutz? Durm as RB? Jantschke? Boateng is competent but this World Cup showed that he might be even better as CB.

Crisstti and Liquid1010 repped this.
  14. Minttunator

Minttunator Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Estonia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Thanks to Philipp for all his great work with the NT, dude is an absolute legend! :thumbsup:

Also: :D
    [​IMG]

Crisstti repped this.
  15. shap_half

shap_half Member+

Oct 17, 2010
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I am not pleased.

Crisstti repped this.
  16. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Danke für 10 Jahre!

[​IMG]

vinontop and Epitome990 repped this.
  17. Hendrik

Hendrik Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Deutschland
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    "I am happy and grateful that the end of my career end with the national team coincides with winning the World Cup in Brazil," he said in an open letter on the DFB website.

Lahm's international career started in February 2004 with a 2-1 win over Croatia and ended with the 1-0 win over Argentina in the World Cup final on Sunday.

DFB president Wolfgang Niersbach said: "Philipp called me this morning and personally informed me of this step. I very quickly realised that it was pointless trying to persuade him to reconsider his decision.

"He was not just a superb player for 10 years in the national team, but also a complete role model. I thanked him for everything that he's done for the DFB."

Lahm now plans to focus his attention on the club side that he joined aged 11 and has been captain of since 2011.

"There is hardly a better farewell than to be a world champion at the peak of your career," Bayern chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge said.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28364966

Crisstti, Dr.Phil, chewz and 3 others repped this.
  18. kontrol-ball-Germany

Jul 22, 2006
    Western Europe
    A mistake at best
    He cannot be replaced. Its a case of next best option. Low's directive should be to persuade lahm to stay or reach some compromise where be has to commit less time to the team and remain as a substitute so we have that depth
    Losing a player of his quality is like conceding an early goal in a qf match

This is a big win for other international teams who play Germany

19. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    My favorite Philipp-Lahm-moment for the national team was his winning goal against Turkey in the 2008 Euro semi final.

Crisstti, Dr.Phil, chewz and 4 others repped this.
  20. RMCFkevin

RMCFkevin Member+

Nov 20, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    THISSSSSSS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What a surprise for me. He's only 30 (?) and still hasn't won a Euro cup. More respect to him though if he really doesn't feel he can handle it. I wonder if he'll come back at some point?

Legend!!!!

[​IMG]

Without question will never forget this moment ^^^^

He was a goat for defending sooooo poorly that game and tournament but this moment made amends for all of the previous mistakes. Still my favorite DFB match ever to date! Danke Lahm!!!

Crisstti and Gregoriak repped this.
  21. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I am shocked and gutted right now!

I wish he would've stayed and completed the euro trophy..

This is a huge blow for the NT...
    The dynasty is set back big time with this!

My favorite player :(

vinontop repped this.
  22. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  23. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    It's definitely a huge loss for the NT. I guess being a full back is rather taxing on the human body, so he wants to cut back a bit and enjoy a vacation once a year.

Better to go on a high than to end up running out of steam at a big tournament I guess...maybe Spain's performance helped with his decision...

24. Vlad S.

Vlad S. Member+

May 6, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's sad to have Lahm go, but I applaud him for doing it now rather than later. Löw has plenty of time now to work on finding direct replacement at RB and subs, restructuring the NT, rebuilding hierarchy and selecting leaders ahead of the next tournament. Schweini should definitely get the armband, next in line should be Hummels and Neuer.

Retiring right after WC is best decision as Euro is a prep / stepping stone for the following WC.

vinontop repped this.
  25. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    My spontaneous Top 10 ranking of German full backs since WW II.

01 Andreas BREHME [left back, right back]

02 Phillip LAHM [left back, right back, defensive midfielder]

03 Berti VOGTS [right back]

04 Manfred KALTZ [right back, sweeper]

05 Paul BREITNER [left back, central midfielder]

06 Karl-Heinz SCHNELLINGER [left back, sweeper]

07 Hans-Peter BRIEGEL [left back, left wingback, defensive midfielder]

08 Bernard DIETZ [left back]

09 Erich JUSKOWIAK [left back]

10 Horst-Dieter HÖTTGES [right back, left back]

chewz, Bluecrux and Dead Fingers repped this.