Thank You Marco [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by vivaelbolivar, Nov 9, 2003.

1. vivaelbolivar

vivaelbolivar New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    RFK & EL MADRIGAL
    This will probably be my last post so I just wanted to say thank you Marco for playing for us in the good times and in the bad times thank you for not leaving us for P.S.G. in 1998 thank you for taking many salary reductions over the years thank you for helping younger players but most importantly thank you for the memories you gave us for 8 years

God bless you Marco Etcheverry wherever you may end up next year I wish you the best in everything

2. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Long live El Diablo!

3. rwhgeek

rwhgeek Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will cheer loudly if they add his name with harkes to the wall at RFK but I will not be cheering if they add his name to the starting XI next year. My respect for his contributions during the glory years will keep me from booing if he were to be with the team next year.

4. pepster

pepster New Member

Mar 25, 2000
    i second that. and also for playing with a dangling toe, a f&* leg and all that. hope i never see his name trashed again in this god damned board either.

yup, go away marco. the venom you have seen in bigsoccer is real, no kidding, and now you know what it is all about. cool, huh?

5. 1MADDOG

1MADDOG New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    DC
    You've been an inspiration to all "damaged goods" type of players.

Didnt think you could play soccer again after 93, I was wrong. Thank you for all the wonderful memories you left with the National team and DC United.

God Bless.

6. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Thanks to a great champion and inspiring leader. You've done more than anyone I can think of to bring the game we love to the people of the US.

Marco Etcheverry... The first name on the DC United All-Time XI.

7. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    A point of fact: Etch has always played at league max plus. The total figure is rumored to be around $400,000. So you can thank him for many a thing but taking pay cuts over the years is not one of them.

As for this thread, I for one still think he's gonna try to come back next year. Until he's gone I'm not gonna post a eulogy. But I will note this one thing.

The thanks and good will I have for Etch, the thanks and good will that he earned during his early years with DC United, will vanish completely if he's back next year.

8. pepster

pepster New Member

Mar 25, 2000
    rumored? you just made it into a fact, benji.

9. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    League max is a fact.
    Emphasis mine on base.

The exact amount above the base and what factors work into it - that's rumor.

By the way, the name is Benjamin. ;)

10. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134
    While Marco may play next year, my guess is it won't be with us if he does.

So thanks Marco for all the wonderful memories. The three assists in MLS Cup '96 when it seemed like hope was gone, for those goals of the year in '97 and '99 (the '97 one is still one of the coolest goals ever), for all the glory you helped to bring to DC United.

And thanks for being the best player in a United kit in what was most likely your last game with the team. It's too bad that, in today's game, that meant so much less than it used to.

11. pepster

pepster New Member

Mar 25, 2000
    okidoki, knave ;)

12. JMU Soccer!

JMU Soccer! New Member

Jul 19, 1999
    I think that this is the third year in a row that there's been a thread of this nature.

13. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will not deny Marco is not controversial; almost everything he has done at DCU has had a polarizing effect upon fans; some damn him and some praise him. So be it. That's the way it has always been. However, in light of what Marco has given to DCU, it is depressing to see folks still demean him as is evident in this post. For my own part and for my kids, when asked why do we attend D.C. United games, the name "Marco" always surfaces, i.e., "...to see Marco..." or something similar. If this season was Marco's last, we will be sad and remember his name with fonnd memories. I really don't believe that the folks that have catigated Marco year after year actually attend DCU games anyway, or if they do, then they must be blind!

If you are leaving Marco: thanks for the memories! Hasta luego Diablo! muchas gracias!

IntheNet

14. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Hey Knave. Why can't you follow your own strict guidelines and stay on topic here? You want to thank him for his career or say something nice do it. You want to change the topic and point out negative things (rightly or wrongly) do it in one of the other 3,001 threads on the subject.

--that said, I am happy to see Marco go out playing hard and can only wonder what his last year would have been like if he would have had someone to actually convert the passes like the one Tino so expertly shanked off his forehead in front of an open net.

It's time for a new team, a new coach, and a new era. I hope Marco moves on, but I also hope people here take the time to remember he was the greatest player to ever put on the DC United uniform.

15. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McOwen said about Marco:

"...but I also hope people here take the time to remember he was the greatest player to ever put on the DC United uniform..."

Here, Here... well said. I second the motion!

Re: your comment about Knave... I have noticed that Knave bends the rules, only when the subject of Marco arises... a shame really. I have had my posts deleted entirely for lesser infractions...such is the freedom of a Mod!

IntheNet

16. fanofkeepers

fanofkeepers New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Rockville MD
    Its hard to add much to whats said above, but my admiration for Marco goes beyond his playing. At autograph sessions and promotional sessions in the community, Marco was always willing to spend time talking to kids and signing autographs. Sure he would be late sometimes but my experience was that he would stay as long as necessary. During the AC Milan-Barcelona practice session at RFK, many of the Milan and Barcelona players signed only or few autographs and some not at all. But Marco was up in the 300 section signing for anyone who came to him. He cares about the game and the fans even though he has been one of the biggest stars MLS has to offer.

Marco may have stayed on too long but that is certainly not unique among star athletes. Thank you Marco for all the good memories.

17. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    That's just ridiculous sniping. If you're gonna thank Etcheverry then thank him for what he did, not for taking mythical pay cuts. And if I want to say that it's premature to eulogize Etcheverry because I think it's 50/50 that he's be back next year then I'd say that's certainly on-topic.

18. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Funny. Looking at the posts I see you are the only person sniping at anyone in here (Etcheverry).

--Its hardly a deep thread. It can go without the counter points or analysis. As I said earlier, even if you are right its not really the thread for debating these issues is it?

(as I have now combined with you to add yet ANOTHER post that has nothing to do with the threads proper subject...)

In your defense, the suggestion that he might not be gone IS certainly relative, but we all know this and it can safely be assumed that the premise of the thread is ASSUMING he is leaving.

19. Bambule GK

Bambule GK New Member

Aug 16, 2000
    The ATL
    Exactly.

Let's just do what they do to the guy with the glasses in Office Space and "fix the problem with payroll."

Yeaaaaah, um, we're gonna need you to move your desk to the storage space in the basement.

20. GdeLata

GdeLata New Member

Nov 1, 2002
    I rarely post on these boards although I do read them quite often. I have seen Marco and DC United play since the league started and it has been incredibly entertaining to do so. Marco is an exceptional player, one of those that don't come along every so often. He is also a class act not only in the U.S., but also in Bolivia, Chile and wherever else he has been. I will miss seeing him play and also seeing him play in a DC United uniform, the team that Marco widely acknowledges has made him feel most at "home". He has given more to DC United, his teammates and the community, even this year, than any other. He has also been a great ambassador for the league and, through thick and thin, has supported MLS here and abroad (even defending the league publicly in interviews with foreign press putting his reputation at stake). Many American players have not gone that far with much less to loose. No, El Diablo is not a saint, but nobody is perfect and there certainly has been nobody better for DC United and MLS. Not so far at least though I hope that will change soon and again and again after that as the league grows as does its history. Oh, and Knave, how about a momentary chill out on the negativism. It's a bad habit.

21. rtiemens

rtiemens Member

Aug 16, 1999
    Virginia
    Thank you Marco for Ending the Drought . . .

Thank you, Marco, for:

Bringing so many *championships* to this town which for so many *decades* has been starved for good soccer and a winning team.

I was there watching the woeful Washington Diplomats. I was there watching the no-name "Team America" I was there all those years when there was no pro outdoor soccer in the DC area.

Thank you, Marco, for those pin-point accurate free kicks in MLS Cup 96, which sent a new generation of fans of the beautiful game (at least ones around here) into dreamland.

Thank you for all those beautiful balls you served to Raul Diaz Arce for spectacular goals.

Thank you for all those fabulous combinations you worked with Jaime Moreno in the opposing box for more exquisite goals.

Thank you Marco for that dazzling dribbling display which resulted in a Goal of the Year. I can't get enough of that.

Thank you for that goal you scored from midfield over Jeff Cassar's head.

Thank you for that laser-beam free kick you scored against the Crew in the deciding playoff game in '99. I said to my sons before you even kicked it, "This one is going in. No doubt about it. It is going in." I had no doubt, because you had no doubt. Giving one of the opposing players a "Crew" cut with that beautiful strike made that goal all the more sweet.

Thank you for that lovely chip goal you scored in the All Star game at RFK a couple years ago.

Thank you, Marco, for reigniting my love for the beautiful game. I've passed it on to my five sons, and we are all the better for it.

Thank you, Marco, for coming to play for the Black and Red. It has been a privilige watching one of the very best.

22. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Thank you Marco for Ending the Drought . . .

AAAAA-mennnn! I am truly sad that Marco is at (others would say nearing), the end of his playing career. I have been fortunate to witness some excellent players in my day (Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Gerd Muller, etc.) and I consider Marco (in his prime) to be up there with them. I hope he stays in some capacity with the team, just not a full-time player anymore. Vaya con Dios, Marco!