Thank You Klinsmann

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by RevvedUp10, Jun 26, 2014.

1. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Fast forward to about 1:28

00Kevin and orcrist repped this.
  2. Zenitfan

Zenitfan Member

May 31, 2001
    Dayton, OH

I hate this. I hate how because Donovan was cut people think it's all about him and the questionable roster choices end with his exclusion. Do you really think he made the best roster choices at all positions? Just because he squeaked into the next round doesn't mean he's above reproach. I honestly believe we'd have played better with a couple different roster tweaks and would definitely be in better shape moving forward.

Lothar is 1 repped this.
  3. Gaucho95

Gaucho95 Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Oakland, Ca
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Bradley has had a poor WC. And I say this as someone who would have said before the Cup that MB is a top 3 or 4 field player. I would rate him as pretty easily the worst starter on the team through 3 matches. His first 2 matches were especially poor, and that's without even considering his turnover that led to the Portugal equalizer. At this stage, you just must sit a struggling player. One just doesn't have the luxury to allow a player to play through whatever is going on with him. JK had a variety of moves I would have applauded... playing Cameron next to Rasta with Jones behind Dempsey. Or bring in Mix instead of Bradley. In either case, have Bradley come in off the bunch so he can prove himself again. I am not a believer in "ruining a player's confidence". Rather, I ascribe to "a player needs to earn his place". Also, Bradley had played every minute, and with Germany more rested (including subbing their "runners" throughout the tourney), I thought it would be good to sit him.

Edit: I also was not thrilled by Bradley not taking accountability after the Portugal draw.

4. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsmann haters are a stupidface.

Namdynamo repped this.
  5. ClevelandForce

Jan 27, 2010
    I didn't even know the USA qualified until my phone notified me.

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    WE LOVE U KLINSMANN.

7. joejonbob

joejonbob Member

Jun 3, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    I am glad the US has advanced, and would like to congratulate the Team and Jurgen on their performance.

That being said, 4 points in this group, and advancement on GD is not the historical event that many people are trying desperately to make it out to be. More like, meeting reasonable, 21st century soccer expectations.

Lothar is 1 repped this.
  8. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Comedy gold :D

9. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AMEN! there's only one jurgen klinsmann!

10. Cookham

Cookham Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely agree. All those who overreacted have some serious crow to chow down on.

11. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Thank you.

12. RossD

RossD Member+

Aug 17, 2013
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    No one gave the US a realistic chance of getting out of the group. Sure, we hoped we'd get out but no credible neutral expert had the US advancing.
    Our group was incredibly tough. Ghana tied Germany 2-2 but they're terrible? Ok, that makes sense.
    All 3 of our opponents were very good and they all had game plans to advance. Our's worked and Ghana's and Portugal's didn't. End of story.

Katreus and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    JK has shown me (obviously not just him but still) I shouldn't necessarily be biased to the idea that MLS players can't perform on the big stage in the year of 2014.

Beckerman has really stepped up and so was Davis when playing. I already knew BESLER was an Iron Man, but damn he's really good. I don't care if he stays in MLS or goes to Europe as he really is talented.

14. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its not about who is the best player. its about who fits the COACHES team.

this is what seems to be missed. On YOUR team maybe those players work. but no on jurgens.

Hence Jurgens team got through with his team and his method.

till you get hired and get through with your team and your method we just dont know.

I know people argued player selection forever. I think if you get results with the players you choose then your reasoning is what it is.

He keeps winning and advancing it will even be tougher.

15. RossD

RossD Member+

Aug 17, 2013
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Anyone who just blindly expects the US, or any other team, to walk through the first round of the WC don't understand seeding, the pots, and how incredibly good all the other teams are in the tournament.
    Getting out of this group IS a huge accomplishment for US soccer. Ghana and Portugal could have easily finished 1st or 2nd in a lot of other groups in the tournament.
    That some people aren't willing accept that doesn't make it any less true.

Papin repped this.
  16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    World Cups are never easy. A small team can successfully take scalps from big nations. Doesn't matter who. It happens. People either forget that or ignore it.

17. richmondlaw

richmondlaw Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    are you kidding me? WHY did they implode? Maybe because we outplayed them and thus they had an uphill climb to move on? give me a break!

we played better than Ghana and Portugal. We did NOT sneak through.

18. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    So you feel one way Klinsmann feels another way about the roster. Not sure why either of your opinions trumps the others...other than the fact that Klinsmanns got us into the knockout round.

19. PremierUSA

PremierUSA Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I don't think Bradley has been our worst starter at all. And in fact, he's been a calming influence in the midfield. That said, he's flubbed some significant plays.

MB is basically the US's pivotal player. This team will go as far as MB takes them. There's no way you bench him in a game like this. Had we already advanced, that would have been a different story.

As for bringing in Mix at attacking mid and putting Cameron at defensive mid; I could see that working for a game. But all in all, everyone in that locker room knows what MB can do, and they are not doubting him whatsoever.

As for the interview, I think the question was a bit of gotcha journalism, and Bradley was weary of saying a sound bite that would be used to the detriment of himself and the team. He certainly was flustered though. I think internally he has accepted accountability, which is what you really want.

20. richmondlaw

richmondlaw Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    we played our worst? what the hell are you talking about!!?? we were winning 1-0 after 30 seconds. HOW is that our worst? Premier USA you have ZERO credibility

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  21. Sylvius

Sylvius Member

Jul 18, 2013
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honestly can do nothing but laugh when I read posters complaining about our style or results under Klinsmann. Yes, we were outclassed by Germany today, get over it. What did people expect? That we would look like Spain by now? The progress we have made under Klinsmann has taken the program to an all time high in terms of on the field play and future potential. Watching this team, I have no problems with the decision to omit Landon. He's not capable of playing the high press (Brad Davis isn't either but that's another story). Thank you Herr Klinsi

22. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brad was much better on the right.

23. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would you rather win that game or lose it. We don't have the horses to dominate the midfield battle in that game. Our pre-world cup best asset in the midfield, General Bradley, now has lead boots, and can at best, work as a co-destroyer around Beckerman. We stand no chance in an open game with Belgium, so we do what we do best. Defend and counter. Take our set pieces when we can. Win ugly. I'm good with that this cycle. Next cycle we can play with panache. This cycle I'll give it to Jimmy V: Survive and advance!

24. futbol in Miami

Colombia
    Sep 11, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i dont mind winning ugly. iam however, concerned that we continue playing like this. only want to see improvement.

25. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, as an important aspect remains which is quality wise, player by player, we had less quality than the other three teams in our group. Yet, we're moving on. Far more talented teams like England/Spain are heading home.

What does is mean at a basic level? Jurgen is getting better results with less available talent to draw from than a number of managers with more talent to draw from. Generally, considerably more. The sum of our parts again was greater than the parts themselves. A fair amount of that is coaching.

A fair amount is also our players stepping up and repeatedly answering the challenge. But the bottom line is Jurgen is doing more with less compared to a number of managers.

ckl26 repped this.