"Thank you, Jurgen. And good bye. Time to Move on from the Sterile Klinsmann Interlude"

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by CarlosE, Jul 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Being Latin did not help Costa Rica today ... van Persie's blowing chance after chance did though ... those white Europeans just have no talent ...

2. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ruthless Efficiency 7, Latin Flair 1

Time to retire, Paul.

russ repped this.
  3. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Typical delusional US fans who use attitude over rationality.

Thank God for them! If it wasn't for people like them, we'd still have a Union Jack on our flag!

4. pichichi2010

pichichi2010 Member+

Oct 24, 2010
    In your nets
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if I were the coach and started guaranteeing WC spots for players to switch, I bet I'd be a good recruiter, too.

5. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GOAL!

6. brewcity77

brewcity77 Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We hardly have the trademark on that. Most fans overestimate their own team and underestimate others, whether at an international or club level.

Except England, where they're just pessimistic about everything.

7. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beautiful! And, no slight at Green by saying this, but the more times I watch it the more I'm stunned by how little credit Bradley's been getting for the ball he sent in. Especially with this camera angle.

russ, Xenimus and freisland repped this.
  8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    "Pinto, with fewer players, less money, less resources, has done what Klinsmann has utterly failed to do -- he has produced a team of Costa Ricans, 14 of them playing for foreign clubs (not major clubs -- and there are no German-Costa Ricans on this side) that has played attractive, coherent, intelligent soccer. Watching the USA, one is often left wondering whether Klinsmann has even tried to do this."

Oh, for babyjesus sake, you can say what you want about Klinsi but "attractive, coherent, intelligent soccer?" Seriously? Maybe the writer mistook Columbia for Costa Rica.

You can say CR played effective soccer, gutsy soccer, even exciting soccer, but it was not attractive - certainly not against the big boys. That Netherlands game made the US-Bel matchup look like we were playing jogo bonito. CR parked the bus IN the goal - not in front of it.
    4 yellow cards (3 for fouls on Robben, I think - there was a plan of PI with alternating player to avoid 2 yellows)
    1 Corner to 11 for Ned
    half the passes attempted (400 to 800)
    Less than half the number of passes completed.
    67% completion rate.
    6 saves to Ned's 1 (Navas saved CR's ass as many times a Howard did our in this tourney, btw)

Greece was very similar, funnily enough (and a much poorer team - of course, the CR being up much of the 2nd half changes some things, but not all)
    7 saves for Navas.
    Less posssession for CR
    Way less shots.
    Less passes. Less passes completed
    More fouls. More yellow cards (6)

CR did great. They played hard. They worked as a team. They should be proud. They punched well above their weight and have a couple of real players, but to suggest that is the style of footie we should aspire to if we are looking to play "attractive" soccer is a guy who does not know how to watch soccer - or just hates Klinsi "cause".

9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    And how similar to Fabian Johnson's Turkey goal.

10. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    That's what CR has - v. Netherlands. Like CR, we are not, man for man, as good as Belgium or Germany. We played them as tight as we could - and got nearly as far.

Costa Rica is not attractive soccer. Gardner did not watch those games or his idea of attractive is way different from mine.

beerslinger23 repped this.
  11. Techsan111

Techsan111 Member

Jul 8, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The difference between us and other countries is we have no midfield. When you have guys like Bedoya, Zusi, Davis, etc. starting on the wings, you aren't going to have success. We were playing a CDM at CAM for god sakes. We also haven't developed any good strikers. Campbell would start easily at striker for us. We won't become a real threat until we develop good attacking players.

12. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    bump

Mattbro repped this.
  13. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Hadn't seen this article at the time it was posted. I agree with everything in it and am a bit shocked. I vaguely remembered Paul Gardner being one of those "everything Euro is better" guys. I must have been wrong.

14. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Close. Gardner is one of those "everything Latin is better" guys, and he's purely a one-note, one-message crank about it. Personally, whenever I find myself agreeing with Gardner, I take it as sign that I might have to re-think my position. ;)

In short, Gardner's basically criticizing Klinsmann for being European *cough* "sterile" *cough* and selecting the German guys over the Latin guys. Had he taken Torres and Orozco and Castillo etc. the tone of his article would've been very different and much more positive.

russ repped this.
  15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Really - you agree with his description of how CR played in Brazil?

Ok.

I really think I watched a different tournament.

16. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001

Um... yes?

I was thinking all that and more while the tournament was playing out. While everyone was fellating Klinsmann for going no further than his predecessors, while playing ugly, scared soccer, I was wondering why we can't have things like Jorge Luis Pinto.

Private Entrance repped this.
  17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Wow - ok.

The US can, and does, often play like CR did in the tournament (although not as dirty - I think we could be better at directed fouling like CR was.)

I'll say it again: CR did not play pretty soccer. The US is fully capable of playing that brand of soccer. It's cynical and effective bunker and counter. It was, in fact, a very "US-like" performance: organized, brave, sometimes heroic defending on the back of a huge tournament for the keeper.

It was fun, exciting, but not "pretty" in the sense of "attractive, flowing" or even "2-way" soccer. It was all defend and counter.

1 goal scored in 375 minutes of play (the equivalent of 4 full games). 1 goal given up in 420 minutes of play.

Italy v. CR (their best game after Uruguay)
    33Dangerous attacks31
    10Total attempts10
    6Deliveries in Penalty area7
    12Clearances16
    522Passes Completed304
    Ball possession 58% v 42

CR v. England
    15Dangerous attacks32
    4Total attempts8
    4Deliveries in Penalty area8
    6Clearances4
    333Passes Completed404
    Ball possession 47% v 53%

CR v Greece
    28Dangerous attacks60
    6Total attempts24
    8Deliveries in Penalty area16
    23Clearances11
    334Passes Completed502
    Ball possession 43% v 57%
    (Navas with 7 saves to 0 for Greece)

Neth - CR
    69Dangerous attacks33
    20Total attempts6
    18Deliveries in Penalty area5
    10Clearances24
    671Passes Completed306
    Ball possession
    64% v 36%

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  18. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  19. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We already have several VERY active threads talking about Klinsmann and they are covering the topics being addressed here.

CTS26 and Spursfan1 repped this.