Thank ESPN for showing Man UTD rangers 2 Nov. 4

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by bourque312, Oct 28, 2003.

1. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    What about them? if there is so much interest in Man U., the EPL ratings on FSW would have been at least in the range of XFL ratings, and prompted ESPN or CBS to seize the EPL rights away from Fox Sports International. We'll see the EPL on the networks or on a widely available cable channel. Do you see that happening?

Where are they when the WUSA need them?

Even if there is TV interest, it would still be on the MLS and USMNT, not on European soccer.

2. bourque312

bourque312 Red Card

Oct 16, 2003
    FSW is a CABLE channel. & compared to other cable channels like ESPN, it is available in MUCH fewer markets.

MLS gets NO coverage or Hype on the big networks. Showing 1 game ever few months w/o publicity is NOT HYPE. It gets NO sportcenter coverage, or TV spots. You cant expect people to watch a game if they dont know when its on.

There IS an audience for European Football. Its just the media is too conservative to take a risk & actually show some games on a REGULAR basis & to promote & cover them even 1/2 as much as NBA games.

The media gives sports like golf & tennis TONS of coverage- sports often dominated by foreigners. They get good hype & coverage & the ratings show it. If champions league football got more coverage, it would get ratings in the realm of golf & tennis at LEAST.

3. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Yes, and the most popular European league (EPL) is on such a channel (FSW), while the MLS is on a channel that is available in MUCH more markets. So which league gets more coverage? EPL or MLS?
    Even if you compare MLS and CL, MLS still wins hands down...

Are you comparing MLS to NBA? or MLS to CL/Serie A/la Liga? I am disagreeing the statement that MLS gets no coverage, IN REFERENCE TO other European leagues. Comparing to fans of European leagues, MLS gets tons of coverage.

There certainly is. When I go to pubs during big international matches (broadcasted by Setanta close-circuit), I see the pubs packed.

"an audience" without any context is meaningless...

Are you complaining not enough MLS/USMNT games on TV? or are you complaining not enough European games on TV?

If it's the former, I disagree that there isn't enough MLS games on TV.

If it's the latter, ESPN has done lots of experiments of putting the European games on, but the experiments failed.

How do you know? In order to get more coverage, don't you think people have to flock to watch the lone CL game first. If CL has been getting ratings in the realm of golf & tennis, ESPN wouldn't have cut back on its coverage from 2 games to 1, and then supposedly move the games to this proposed ESPN Deportes from ESPN2, would it?

This assumption that "if CL gets more coverage, it will get more audience" is flat out wishful thinking. Again, ESPN right now is not in the business of cultivating an audience. It's in the process of capturing ratings. The experiment of trying to grow a European audience ended long time ago...

4. BrianJ 22

BrianJ 22 New Member

Feb 28, 2002
    Australia
    During the united and rangers match he keeps calling tim howard "timmy howard"

5. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, a lot of us on these boards do. :)

And seeing that Tommy has spent a fair amount of time serving as a color commentator on MetroStars games, which entails hanging out at training and talking to the players, I think he can be entitled to call him "Timmy".

Nothing wrong with it, and a minor sin, at worst.

6. Red Devil11

Red Devil11 New Member

May 10, 1999
    Hackensack, NJ
    During the united and rangers match he keeps calling tim howard "timmy howard"

Since Tommy was around when Tim or Timmy Howard came into the game, I think Smyth might know his name. By the way why would you be upset that he called him Timmy. I have seen Smyth and Howard together many times during the Metro days of Smyth.As someone down under what makes you an expert on Howards name. Maybe you just wanted something to whine about.

7. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Hhhhmmmm... Man Utd vs Rangers... Premiership forum... what's wrong here?