Thank ESPN for showing Man UTD rangers 2 Nov. 4

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by bourque312, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
  2. Alphonse

Alphonse New Member

May 30, 2003
    La France
    le eww

I would le rather eat Americaine cheese

I am le little lying I would le not rather eat that disgusting eww you call fromage, mais I saw le other match between these 2 teams, and you would not have le missed much if you did not see it, there are much more le better matches to rally behind.

3. bourque312

bourque312 Red Card

Oct 16, 2003
    Re: le eww

Do you really want to see Monaco get its derriere kicked again??

4. Alphonse

Alphonse New Member

May 30, 2003
    La France
    I have le made you smarter

Oui, I would le rather see Monaco lose again than that dreadful match you are supporting. Monaco losing is le good, watching le 'battle of boredom' is bad.

5. DAGSports

DAGSports New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    To be honest, I still can't figure out why ESPN is carrying it. This game would generate them a nice sublicensing fee, a lot more than they will make in ad sales.

6. bourque312

bourque312 Red Card

Oct 16, 2003
    So youre saying they shouldnt air Champions league games??

7. webster2003

webster2003 Red Card

Nov 4, 2003
    What's all this BS?

Just send them a Thank You note ->

8. DAGSports

DAGSports New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    No. What I'm saying is that the product is clearly suited to Hispanic audiences (as has been discussed numerous times on the business board) and to those who would pay to watch in a bar. ESPN doesn't sell enough ads to make a profit on the telecasts (and realistically, they can't do it if they worked 24/7 at it). So they usually pick up what is being seen live in Latin America and that usually means Real Madrid, AC or Inter Milan.

The fact that ESPN picked this game to do live for Latin America came as a surprise to me....

9. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    especially when Lazio x Chelsea is available on the same day. On paper, it is a more competitive matchup than Man U x Rangers. If nothing else, even Brugge x the reigning champ is better.

10. Papa Bouba Diop

Papa Bouba Diop New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    McGill ghetto
    Re: Re: le eww

I didn't see the Monaco-Deportivo game. Does anyone know what the final score was? I'm to lazy to check livescore.com

11. EscoDU01

EscoDU01 New Member

May 24, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha, I hope that is a joke, Monaco 5230395- Deportivo la Courna 3

12. Texan

Texan New Member

Jan 8, 2001
    I don't see why. I watch a sports show on Telefutura and they never fail to show highlights of the Manchester United match, as well as Real Madrid, AC Milan and Juventus. Whether it be the Hispanics on ManU or that Hispanics follow the big European clubs or something else, it doesn't seem to be a very risky move by ESPN to choose ManU for a match.

13. EasyStreet

EasyStreet New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Scerw thanking them how about showing more games?

14. da_cfo

da_cfo New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    San Francisco CA
    ESPN has NOT sold a single targed ad for UEFA Champions League telecasts on ESPN2 in the US for over 5 years.

ESPN definitely left money on the table by making Man U vs Rangers available on ESPN2 in the US.

ESPN would have made some money by sublicensing Man U vs Rangers to Setanta Sport and choosing another game for ESPN2.

Chelsea vs Lazio would have been my pick.

Of course LOGIC is NOT used to make some decisions in the TV business.

15. Alphonse

Alphonse New Member

May 30, 2003
    La France
    I am le right once again for another time

People should really stop disagreeing with le Alphonse, I was le right that the match between Monaco et Deportivo would be better than the battle of boredom.

Mais do not worry bourque312, I le forgive you.

16. bourque312

bourque312 Red Card

Oct 16, 2003
    NOBODY cares about Chelsea or Lazio in the states!! The ONLY reason chelsea is hot as of late is cuz Roman is paying $100 Million for top players. Chelsea doesnt have the kind of reputation & the name recognition Man U has in the states. Youre saying only Hispansics would watch Champions league soccer? Tell that to the 160,000 fans who paid $80 to see 2 Man United PRESEASON EXHIBITION GAMEs IN JULY 2003 in Giants stadium. Man Utd. Rangers would get 10X the ratings Chelsea & Lazio would get.

& How are you saying that the Chelsea game would be more competative? Chelsea scored 3 goals in their 1st game w/ Lazio, & Man Utd. scored 1 goal in their 1st game. The Man U game was FAR more competative.

17. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    i am sick and tired ot watching ManU games on ESPN2

its bad enought that the CL has the same teams every year, but to be forced to watch the same team over and over on ESPN2 is just too much

the only thing worse then ManU is all those Real games

18. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Too bad. Nobody cares about the CL in the states. Or how do you explain ESPN2 piggybacking the CL telecast from ESPN Latin America? How do you explain ESPN cut their CL telecast in the USA from 2 games to 1 games?

I'll believe Man U would be an attraction on ESPN2's CL telecast when ESPN2 can make a game selection independent of ESPN Latin America's broadcast, i.e. you see ads of British Airways, Black Label, British Petroleum, British Telecom, etc. on ESPN2's CL telecast involving Man U. Till then, the game on ESPN2 is just a program filler, with no expectation of rating whatsoever.

In other words, Americans CL fans are UNDER THE MERCY OF ESPN LATIN AMERICA'S GAME SELECTION!!!! When are American viewers going to wake up?

Because Lazio is a better team than Rangers, that's why. You select a live telecast based on the matchup ON PAPER, not based on the final score. This is not a delayed telecast that you can select a game after you look at which score is closer.

Really? In the game at Stamford Brige, Chelsea won 2-1. The Lazio goal wasn't scored by a Chelsea player but by Simoni Inzaghi. So how did Chelsea score 3 goals?

On the other hand, Rangers lost 0-1 at Ibrox.

So which 2nd leg would be closer *on paper*? Chelsea, a 2-1 winner at home in the first leg, playing away, or Rangers, a 0-1 loser at home, playing away? you tell me.