TFC 2022 Regular Season Games (R)

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by Kingston, Feb 28, 2022.

1. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    The first game of the new season is in the books. A 1-1 draw away at Dallas.

This is an acceptable result for a team that is very much in the gelling stage.

Five Canadians started the match - Osorio, Nelson, Kerr, Shaffelburg, and Marshall-Rutty. Okello also came in as a 66th minute sub for Nelson.

Osorio scored our goal and Marshall-Rutty was named to the MLS team of the week despite playing in a new position as a defender. Nelson, too, had a strong game. Shaffelburg, also playing in a new position as a defender, had a few defensive bobbles but grew in confidence and was instrumental in Osorio's goal. Only Kerr out of the group seemed to have a bit of a rough first outing and he was subbed off at half time.

Overall the club put in a much more spirited performance than we saw last year. Pozuelo is off to a good start and Salcedo and Jimenez both got decent first games under their belts.

Next up is the home opener on Saturday against NYRB.

crazypete13 repped this.
  2. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    NYRB visits tomorrow for the home opener.

Akinola is the only TFC player out (ACL injury) and I understand he will be away for a while yet.

NYRB is missing four players. No idea how key they are to their team. Two are listed as out for visa reasons, which I assume means unvaccinated.

This looks to be a fairly even game. Here's hoping we can generate a win and send the crowd home happy. And also improve on our 10-9-19 (WDL) all time record against NYRB. I was surprised it was that bad when I saw it.

3. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    A 4-1 loss to open our home season.

We had 67% possession and actually showed well in some other statistical categories but generated very little in the way of offence and obviously fell down on defending.

To me, the lack of chances goes down to the fact that a lot of the players are unfamiliar with each other. Getting the ball wasn't the problem but putting together those last two quick touches to turn possession into a goal were absent. That requires the quick communication and anticipation of team mates who know each other.

On defense, I see the inexperience of youth. Yes, there was a turn over at midfield or a missed pass or whatever to start each specific goal. In the end, however, there were just large numbers of Reb Bull players wide open in near our net.

Unfortunately, we are going to have more of these types of games before the team gains the familiarity and experience to start putting in more solid performances. Hopefully just fewer and fewer of them as the year goes on until, by season's end, we are playing well.

Next up, the first of two Trillium Cup matches this season as we head off to Columbus to visit the Crew this Saturday.

crazypete13 repped this.
  4. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I should have also mentioned about the home opener: For the second week in a row, five Canadians started the match - Osorio, Shaffelburg, MR, Nelson, and Petrasso (in his first ever game for the team).

Okello, Chung, Priso, and MacNaughton all came in as subs, meaning a total of nine Canadians saw the pitch. Seven Canadians were on the field when the final whistle sounded.

5. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Akinola is still out injured for Saturday's game.

Salcedo is out with an after-the-game suspension for his yellow card tackle in the home opener. Interesting that a VAR review did not give him a red during the game, but somehow it became suspension-worthy after the fact.

6. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    #6 Kingston, Mar 15, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
    A 2-1 loss after going up 1-0 to start the scoring.

The loss is not good but, as someone else wrote in another forum, this is one of the most exciting and interesting TFC teams in a while. Yes, we're going to lose a bunch of games but the potential and development is fun to watch. And it will come together one day.

This game had seven Canadians in the starting line up and three more come in off the bench. I assume 10 Canadians in one match is a record. JMR came out early with what looked like a concerning injury but is now reported to be okay.

Last season, Canadians racked up 8393 minutes with TFC. After three games this season, Canadians are at 1327 minutes. My math suggests this is a higher pace. It is also more than all the non-Canadians combined so far this year.

Next up we host DC. Not sure why, but I'm calling this as our first win of the season.

7. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Hey, look at that - I got it right as we win 2-1.

The youngsters improved a bit more with an especially useful game by Petrasso. And a great goal by Osorio for his 50th in a TFC jersey.

I do wonder why Achara keeps getting the call in off the bench as he never seems to do much. I'd have rather seen Priso.

Now we have a week off for the international break before heading over to visit NYCFC. Only Osorio and Mavinga (DR Congo) will be away on NT duty this time around.

crazypete13 repped this.
  8. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Rookie Luca Petrasso named to the MLS team of the week, for two lovely left-footed crosses for assists.

9. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    A small error in my earlier post: We host NYCFC on Saturday.

Akinola, Shaffelburg, and JMR are out injured. Mavinga is listed as questionable.

10. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    A 2-1 win very much against the run of the game. One nice goal for us and another scored for us by Owen G.

Five Canadians in the starting line up and three more in off the bench.

After the game, the league came out with a statement that VAR messed up and NY should have been given a penalty. To this I say good, it's about time a reffing screw up went in our favour for once. (I suspect fans of most teams feel the same way. :) )

Next up we head off to Salt Lake City for a Saturday match up against an RSL team that currently sits second in the west.

crazypete13 repped this.
  11. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Two goals by young Canadians including a very alert, long range shot by Nelson for a 2-2 away draw. I'll take it.

On Saturday we host league-leading Philadelphia. Interestingly, Philly is one of the few teams we have an all-time edge over with a record of 12 wins and 9 losses (with 7 draws). Of note on the injury front, Akinola has gone from out to questionable.

12. whitbytfcfan

whitbytfcfan Member

Apr 9, 2016
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    The initial goal of just holding the fort and not being too far out of the race when Insigne arrives will be easily surpassed by the looks of it. Insigne and Jimenez up front is going to be dynamite.

13. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    A 2-1 for the home town crowd. Another game with what is now a typical high Canadian content.

I still think we're going to have a few poor games as things continue to settle in but, yes, the early returns are very good. I'm looking forward to Insigne with Jimenez but right now I'm honestly looking forward to Jimenez and Akinola.

Next up we head east for a Sunday afternoon visit to NYCFC. This will be the second and final meeting for these teams in the regular season this year with TFC having taken the home leg 2-1.

crazypete13 repped this.
  14. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Any time you score four, your defense has to hold the game for you. Heck, Chicago has only scored five all year! But we suffer a 5-4 loss instead.

Bono is serviceable but it would be nice to see him make that game-stealing save once in a while. And Mavinga - why hasn't he been replaced with a youngster who is equivalent now but still has upside to grow?

Next up, we host Cincinnati on Saturday. This should be a chance to get back on track. I'm hopeful that Akinola will get at least a cameo.

crazypete13 repped this.
  15. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    ^ I forgot to mention, yesterday was Osorio's 300th game for TFC. He is the first player from the team to reach that mark. Michael Bradley is second at 261 and no other active player even has 150.

crazypete13 repped this.
  16. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC