Texas Longhorns Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by GoatBoy, Aug 31, 2002.

1. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

Apr 1, 2001
    Austin
    The day has arrived. The Longhorns and Aggies will face off tonight for all the marbles. A win or a draw and the Horns repeat as Big 12 champs and get the top seed in the conference tourney.

If the Longhorns play at their best, they will win. Playing a tough game last Sunday against Missouri should keep them on their toes, and Petrucelli said they had their best week of practice. I think playing this game on the road should help the Horns focus on the job at hand, too.

The Texas team is far better now than they were at this time last year, especially on defense. The question is whether they have learned how to step it up in big games. This is their first real test but won't be the last. The team has only four upperclassmen starters, and I'll be looking for McBain, Wosnuk, Wickwire and Hop to set the tone. It will be a battle, and it marks the beginning of what should be many years of classic contests between these arch rivals.

Texas Showdown

Looking ahead to next weeks Big 12 tourney: UT and A&M are the top two. Baylor and Texas Tech are out. The rest of the field is amazingly even.

The other big game tonight is Oklahoma at OK State. If OSU can win it they get in the tournament at the expense of OU. That would be sweet.

2. TexanSoccer06

TexanSoccer06 New Member

Go Aggies! Expect a match report from College Station after the match (hopefully it will be a drunken match report from me celebrating an Aggie win :p).

3. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

Apr 1, 2001
    Austin
    Dream on agro!

You may not see my report until the morning. Win or lose, my first priority will be getting the hell out of Collie Station and back to civilization.

4. TexanSoccer06

TexanSoccer06 New Member

:). I wont deny the town sucks, but it isnt that bad! Anyways drop me a line at the game, I'll be wearing a black adidas jacket with 3 stripes on the front, and a black beanie.

5. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

Apr 1, 2001
    Austin
    A&M report

A&M wins 2-1, in front of a great over-capacity crowd in College Station. A&M played really well all over the field, but the MVP was GK Spisak who not only saved a PK but made several other huge saves near the end to preserve the win. Congratulations to the Aggies, they wanted this one more than UT.

And that begs the question, how could the Longhorns not be fired up about this game? The first half was incredibly frustrating for us in the Longhorn fan section, as the girls on the field didn't seem to have the enthusiasm we did. The guy sitting behind me put his finger on it when he said our team looked very uninspired. The defense held their own to start the game, but our midfield and forwards were not in the game. In the midfield, way too much standing around, no battling for 50-50 balls, huge chunks of real estate conceded, they allowed A&M to keep the ball in the Texas end. And the forwards just played timid, they didn't seem to want the ball and didn't know what to do with it when they got it. Wilson made some great runs with the ball down the flanks, but the nearest support would be 20 yards behind the play.

The Horns were lucky to be down only 1-0 at the half, getting in only 3 shots! Then they came out and gave up a goal seconds into the 2nd half, as Hopkins-Brost tried to get fancy and lost the ball deep in the UT end. And what a shot by Juli Goin.

Finally the Longhorns got it in gear after that goal. The last 30 minutes they were a different team, getting great chances, hustling in midfield, the forwards (especially McDonald) making great runs. If not for Spisak the Horns would have had two or three goals in the last half hour. This was the scary attacking play Texas is capable of, outshooting A&M 13-4 in the 2nd half!

Why can't they play a full 90 minutes like that? Maybe it's the Aggie curse, or big games in general, but the Horns seem to play without intensity until they dig themselves into a hole. A&M on the other hand comes out ready to play.

My game balls go to: Lauren Field, who was the workhorse in the midfield, she has a knack for always being where the ball is. I think she deserves to start in the big games coming up. And Kelly McDonald, who was by far the most dangerous forward, and the only one willing to take on and beat her defender. Kelly is the bomb.

Editorial: I have seen some poor officiating this year, but this game took the cake. The ref was pathetic and there seemed to be no rhyme or reason to his calls. Our nearside asst. ref in the 2nd half did not have his head in the game and wasn't able to keep track of the possession. Even the 4th official was correcting calls from the sideline, how lame is that? I thought Petrucelli was pissed after the Missouri game, he absolutely blew a gasket after this one. He stormed up to the refs and he was literally hopping mad, I half expected to see him kicking dirt on the ref's shoes! Seriously, the Big 12 ought to look at raising the quality of officiating. With the conference getting so competitive, these U-10 rec league officials aren't getting it done.

This was the last game that the Horns can afford to lose. It's on to the Big 12 tournament, where they will play Iowa State in the first round. Another meeting between UT and A&M next Sunday is very possible. Texas needs to win this tournament and get some home games in the NCAAs.

Oh yeah, and Oklahoma State beat Oklahoma, with three goals in the last 6 minutes to win 3-2. The Cowgirls get to the tourney for the first time, and OU's season is done. That is too cool.

It is 10:20 am, Central Standard Time, and OU still sucks!!!

6. TexanSoccer06

TexanSoccer06 New Member

Re: A&M report

Agreed with most part on your analysis. Texas had plenty of opportunities in the 2nd half, but every one was hit right at Spisak who did have an incredible match. I would give Jessica Martin credit as well, she played the best game I've ever seen her play and essentially helped keep Kelly Wilson a non-factor. Spisak made some great saves, but in opinion, the game ball for A&M goes to Emma Smith. The goal and the assist were great, but I cant count how many times she took on the entire Texas D, taking the ball to the corners and killing a hell of alot of time off the clock.
    I was rather disappointed with Texas' play, they definately didn't look like the #3 team in the nation. I know they are a great team, and I hope they show well in the NCAA's.
    And I also agree with your opinion of the ref. The guy was worthless. I'm not so sure Putrecelli had a valid argument when he got mad, but the ref was making very sketchy calls the entire match.

Also, props to all the Texas supporters who provided the night with a great atmosphere. The best chant from the guys in the soccer jerseys was the "We dont live in College Station" chant. It had me chuckling for quite a while.

7. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

Apr 1, 2001
    Austin
    The Horns blow past the Cyclones 4-1 in the first round of the Big 12 tourney. Two goals apiece from Kelly McDonald and Lauren Field. McDonald has tied the single-season goals record with 13, set by Kelly Wilson last year.

Texas plays Nebraska at 5pm Central time tonight. The match will be broadcast live on Fox Sports Soutwest.

8. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

Apr 1, 2001
    Austin
    Tournament Time

Tournament Time for Texas
    UT Sees Tournament as Second Chance (registration required)

The Longhorns head to College Station tomorrow for a grudge match against SMU.

My impression after watching the Nebraska game was of a tired Texas team, and lapses in concentration on defense in the second half. I just don't think the team has enough quality depth yet to advance far into the post-season. And with the tourney bracket, it would take a miracle for the Horns to be around in December. UT has probably the toughest road of any tournament contender, likely needing to get through SMU, A&M, UCLA, and North Carolina to make it to the final four.

But on the bright side, Texas has a great chance to achieve a couple of major goals for the season: winning some tournament games, and beating A&M. Just beating SMU and getting the seniors a final crack at A&M would make me very happy. A loss to SMU would be a very disappointing end to what should be UT's best year ever.

If the Horns show up in the kind of form they were in in mid-October, this will be a fun weekend to close out the season. Even if it is in College Station.