Test Run?

Discussion in 'New York City FC' started by vflkirwan, Mar 13, 2009.

1. vflkirwan

vflkirwan Member

Mar 28, 2000
    North Jersey
    Club:
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NYC will be getting a team in 2010, it's just not at the level many of you had wanted....USL 1 instead.

Per Ives

2. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Id totally support this - PS - we should merge threads - i posted this too!

3. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I hope that it can be the first step toward the MLS.......

4. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I just came in my FCUKING pants. BRING ON THE RIVALRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

with rochester hahahaha

6. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope it can be the first step towards a solid NYC club, without caring all that much right now if its in MLS or not.

7. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

yep bro - its a start - MLS dreams got put on hold - but at least we have something now!! Seeing how Seattle is turing out and if Vanc and Portland do the same - this could be the first step!

8. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If Wilpon can't bring it home, then it's time to throw our support behind this new team. This team will have our city identity, our hearts and our passion.

I need to know the colors. I'm already starting with the flags and banners.

GET FCUKING STUCK IN BABY!!!!!!!!!

9. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "ALL WE WANT IS A TEAM TO CALL OUR OWN!"

soon to be season-ticket holder.

10. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Where do you get season tickets??????????????????

11. BuddhaNYC

BuddhaNYC Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Queens, NYC
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they haven't even oficcialy announced the team yet man! breatheeeee

12. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    lol Have you learned nothing about me yet? lol lol

13. tmdrdd

tmdrdd New Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you trying to take my job?!?!? :p

Let me know what I can do to help. :cool:

14. Wile Coyote

Wile Coyote Red Card

Sep 21, 2000
    Punta del Este, Uru.
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    This is in no way an indicator to any thing.....

I think this team will draw 2 k tops on a good day....

while the USL level is just a tad under MLS (some of their teams as good as MLS teams) its not good enough to get any one in NYC excited....at least those potential MLS fans that are in NYC who dont go to drinks events in the nearby meadowlands...

the reality is the media will give it zero attention with the exception of Mike K

can it be a good time yes for sure why not...in these rinky dink "stadiums" a chance to get away with things you cant get away with at say the nazi runned dump of the meadowlands complex.....can they draw more than 2 k i dont think they can...i dont see that ethnic masses even bothering to go or the euro ethnic types wont go...

the ones who will go will be the soccer cult americans who love the game and support pro soccer in this country no matter what division it may be....

as far as the RR i think they choose to become a pdl team cause they could not keep up with the travel cost of playing in USL they went down a notch and are more focused on running their soccer camps which are pretty good youth camps from what i hear....

USL NY it is what it is its a team where you can see the 1st division pros of tomorrow If the drink is smart they will watch very closely at talent in their "own back yard" a good way to spot the local talent and the visiting talent they could have a scout there week in and week out
    to pick up young talent...

i dont know if USL and MLS still have that working together thing that they had a few years ago if its still the case then this team falls under the drink umbrella as a "farm" club...

with that said I write what i feel with regards of this USL team ..... do i want to be proven wrong yes absolutley if they can draw 10 k per game wonderful for USL us soccer and so on... if this USL teams starts drawing good solid numbers then the 1st division local side will have to step up their efforts as far as marketing and the other off the field stuff by default which can only mean making people more aware of MLS and so on.....because no way the league or the drink will sit back and watch a potential customers go off to see usl if and when the ny usl side draws in numbers...

but from the teams that have come and gone in the past in the A league USL and USISL and so on i say a steady number of at least 2 k on a good day will be the norm....

15. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I think that we must be honest : this will be a good thing only if it is the first step towards the MLS. This is my personal opinion.

16. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you just hate everybody don't you....
    so who will you support come 2010?
    RedBull, or NYC? or have you just about burned both bridges?

17. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Why do you care about what somebody who doesn't even live here says? You all have the right idea; support the heck out of what you have. You guys could make the crowds in Rochester and MTL look like gatherings on the street corner, or at least do just as well. Remember, the Cosmos couldn't hardly draw flies the first few years. A NYC USL team could definitely draw better than 2K, especially if it was seen as the anti-Red Bull team.

I just wish we still had a team to play against y'all. :(

18. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Because in the Summer he is in NY! He has actually been to an event or two with us! lol

19. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Another aspect that we haven't looked at is what players are they looking to bring in? This is NYC after all. You can't expect to draw 10k with out some well known players. I'm not saying that we need to have the 21st century version of Pele, but some renown players would go very far in attracting fans.

I know it's the USL but it seems like they want to take MLS head on with this USL in NYC move.

20. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a team to call my own. The crowd effect was never my issue. I would've moved to LA if I wanted 25,000 fair-weather supporters. Personally, I'd take no media attention, 2,000/game, for 90 mins of real, ideal NYC soccer passion. And ultimately, I think most of NYC would too.

21. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    because we know him personally...

22. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hypothetically speaking, why would he have to choose? He can support both, they play in two different leagues.

23. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    because knowing Flaco, that option is not on the table.

24. Wile Coyote

Wile Coyote Red Card

Sep 21, 2000
    Punta del Este, Uru.
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    Kings county

what is the the name of the thread.... its called test run.... hence a discussion if this USL team can be a test run indicator for an MLS side.....

NOT ABOUT RAGGING ON THE USL SIDE OR HATING OR ANY THING....(which I never ragged on)

the facts of the USISL team that has come b-4 the A league team that was here b-4 as well as the a league team that played in long island and the crowd numbers when a league became the USL is WHAT I BASE MY FACTS ON... I did not come here to just rant to get yous going.... those are pretty good indicators of what USL and its previous incarnations have done in this area B-4.......2k per game sounds about right maybe 5 k per game but dont think just cause its a NYC side its going to get sold out crowds of 9 k per game......

I think a few NYC veterans who know the pro soccer scene here in NY will agree to some extent.....

Can you still have a grand time and do what you want to do in the end zones and make it a good experience YES ABSOLUTLEY and i hope it is a good time had by all....

as far as montreal and rochester they have 1 thing NYC USL will not get and thats the proper paper tv coverage why because Rochester is miles aways from the yanks and mets and rochester focus on their pro teams up there they cover them week in and week out, in montreal you dont have any other "major" sporting event in the summer making it a perfect operation to get those summer cats to check out a game...the media up there needs some thing to put in the back papers and sports telecast and since the expos are gone guess the impact wins BY DEFAULT.....they have notting else to talk about up there as far as sports goes except the impact plus the crowds they get it the become an attractive thing to cover....

yes the crowds up there have been great by far the best can it be done here yes it can will it?? me personally I dont think those montreal numbers and rochester numbers are realistic when you have 2 ball clubs playing in the summer and a Major league soccer club over the river in NJ add to that 2 minor league baseball clubs Wnba and the summer events that are not even pro sports related........

USL ny will not have known big name players that also is a factor.....the spanish cats wont go in numbers you think they will nor the euro cats and those that will go will rather see MLS but can you get some of those cats yes you can are you going to catch the NY cats that dont go to NJ MLS game for what ever reason i'll say a few yes but in masses no....

its just my opinion..hope it does draw 10 k and what not..but based on the other teams that have played in the USISL the A league b-4 thats is a pretty good indicator of how this USL team will do at the gates...in my opinion...lets see what happens I could be wrong lets see who the owners are.... we will see when things get difficult how commited they are....

the one person who got what I said b-4 was Napoli and he is 100% right this usl deal is only good if it leads to NYC MLS...

25. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They haven't even announced anything about the details re this team, Flaco. They'll get a couple of local area players who most likely played for some Big East programs or other local colleges that slipped through the cracks.

Obviously, there are precedents with the previous clubs mentioned. I can only speak for my experience with the Vipers, and they primarily got guys who were former MLS players and decent college players. They may follow that example or do something on their own.

Be a little patient is all I can say. I do understand some of your points, though.