Terry Vaughn :: Revolution @ United (Eastern Conf. Final) :: Referee Thread [R][N&A]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    REF: Terry Vaughn

SAR (bench): Craig Lowry
    JAR (opposite): Chris Strickland;
    4th: TBD

Referee Thread Index

2. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    Ugh, God help us.....That is all.

3. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Well, I don't know...I don't mean to sound olive drab (if not avacado) we could do much worse than Vaughn. Yeah, he misses calls (and he didn't miss on the call for Hedjuk's PK BTW- that was a stupid Prideaux play and is one reason why Brandon ain't in the starting lineup) but overall he calls a fair game. I do expect a PK call in this game and I expect it on a Rev defender.

4. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    I hope you are right!

5. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bull$hit! That should not have been a PK! Vaughn will be reminded of his shortcomings this Saturday. If he makes another bs call like that in this game, heaven help him.

GM

6. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Terry Vaughn :: Revolution @ United (Eastern Conf. Final) :: Referee Thread [R][N

Yeah, Rusty Pierce. I'd love to see him get two with the accompanying red...I really do dislike him. :mad:

7. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Your TBD 4th is Alex Prus......

I just hope that it is one of Terry's best games tomorrow. I'm sorry I won't be there to see it.

8. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Vaughn is a terrible ref. Then again, I can't really think of any good ones. :)

9. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    I used to think like you, Mike, but then I got to know these guys, and after being involved for 27 years (at that time), I felt I finally found my niche in the sport. Working with these guys has been the most rewarding experience of my life in soccer.

10. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Oh, I know they're decent human beings.*

I was kidding which is why I put the smiley there.

* well, as decent as a ref can be, anyway. :D

I keed, I keed.

11. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    From MLSNet on the Ref of the Year award:

Of the nominees for Official Sports Referee of the Year, two have been named finalists before. The new member of the group is Abbey Okulaja, who participated in more matches than any other MLS official this year, presiding over 13 as referee and performing duties as fourth official in seven games. Kevin Stott earns his third consecutive nomination for the Referee of the Year award this season. Earlier this year, Stott oversaw his 100th MLS match as a referee. Kevin Terry, the 2002 Referee of the Year, was the man in the middle for 13 matches this year. Terry is one of two MLS officials to have refereed two MLS Cup Finals."

Since Abbey worked tonight and Stott did our first playoff game, and Terry did KC's first playoff game, who gets the final?

Thx,

Jay!

12. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Re: Terry Vaughn :: Revolution @ United (Eastern Conf. Final) :: Referee Thread [R][N

Many months ago, I said Vaughn is to refereeing as David Stokes is to playing central defense. Vaughn may be a nice guy, I'm sure he tries hard -- but he is slow and the game just speeds by him and he'll miss more than he'll call. This will be a very ugly game because Vaughn will get behind the run of play and lose control within the first 10 minutes. I really hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

13. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Okay, just checking - I still have to look out for my boys! LOL :D

14. doneshufflin

doneshufflin New Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Washington DC
    That game was the most poorly officiated game I have ever seen. He gave away a horrible PK on an accidental hand ball in the box. Then he missed at least two PK's for United. Avery John should have been thrown out for his criminal professional foul on Alecko late in the second half. Finally Quaranta was creamed in the box on a slide tackle in the second extra time and Vaughn totally blew it. I think he should be castrated. He sucks ars big time. The officiating in this league flat out sucks and tonight was no exception. I am writing the league about this one and I think many of you should if you really care about the quality of MLS. It may not do me any good other than to vent my frustrations, but I think if a number of us complain there will be a higher likelihood that someone in MLS will listen. They really need to repremand some of these guys for their poor decisions.

15. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Vaughn was utter trash tonight and its damn lucky we won because he was doing his damndest to make sure we did not

16. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Agreed, but I am too elated to complain about anything right now.

17. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Absolutely :mad:

18. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Gave the game to NE at least 3 times. I'll be objective later...

Thx,

Jay!

19. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    I truly want to hear what happened, since I didn't get to see the game and won't be able to for a while.

Thanks!

20. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    Not that it matters too much at this point, but having just seen the first half replay on HDNet (went to the game too) I'd say that Vaughn got all the calls correct in the first half. He did miss a Namoff hand ball in the box that would have given the revs a penalty. Overall, through the first half I'd give him very high ratings...we'll see how the second half goes. He got loose with the cards then, as I recall.

Tim

21. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As an unbiased observer, I thought Vaughn did well. Not an easy game to call, very fast-paced, intense and LONG. He gave a (deserved) yellow to Joseph almost immediately, which set the tone, and when NE started tactically fouling hard just after the half, he was calling the fouls. I didn't see any horrible, unquestionable yellows or reds, or even PK's (sorry), that he missed. There were a lot of calls that could have gone either way, and I don't think he favored one team over the other. The match flowed & there were no player ejections & no serious fights. I have to give him a "B+".

22. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I thought he did well tonight and was very consistent to boot.

23. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    My final analysis after watching the whole replay:

Vaughn did very very well. That was a potentially brutal game and he got all the calls rights as best as I could tell.

Tim

24. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like Prus is the frontrunner, with Stott, Valenzuela, and Kennedy all having outside shots.

25. Publius

Publius Member+

May 22, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Vaughn got all of the big calls/non-calls right but what was steaming me at the stadium was my impression that the game was not being called evenly and that NE was getting the benefit of a lot of contact that DC was not. With a foul differential of only 7 fouls, the match may have been more evenly called than I thought. I'll reserve judgment until I see the replay.

I talked to a lot of people after the game who I consider to be much more objective than I. Nobody I talked to thought Vaughn had a good game.