Terry Vaughn :: DC United vs. The ______ ClashQuakes :: Referee Thread :: [R] [N&A]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by JayRockers!, Jul 15, 2005.

1. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    REFEREE: Terry Vaughn.
    MLS Career: 53 games; FC/gm: 31.6; Y/gm: 3.8; R: 13; pens: 17
    Games involving United: P7 W2 L2 T3; FC/gm: 31.7; Y/gm: 3.3; R: 2; pens: 1
    Games involving Earthquakes: P12 W6 L4 T2; FC/gm: 35.6; Y/gm: 4.8; R: 4; pens: 3

SAR (bench): Kermit Quisenberry; JAR (opposite): Richard Eddy; 4th: Andrew Chapin

SUSPENDED: none
    WARNINGS: SJ: Danny Califf (20 CP); Ricardo Clark (16 CP)

Josh Gros got his "get out of jail free" points reduction after last game.

The repository of all things ref is [thread=110167]here[/thread], although I don't know if this seasons reports are making it in.

Chapin reffed the friendly against the Rhinos on Monday.

Thx,

Jay!

2. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    Re: Terry Vaughn :: DC United vs. The ______ ClashQuakes :: Referee Thread :: [R] [N&

I can't wait for Tom's post. :D

3. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    Re: Terry Vaughn :: DC United vs. The ______ ClashQuakes :: Referee Thread :: [R] [N&

ARE YOU ********ING KIDDING ME? Terry ********ing Vaughn? the same terry vaughn who cost us the columbus match last year? the terry vaughn who sucks major ass? the blind and stupid terry vaughn?

that ********ing **************, i want to slam my hand in his narrow chest and pull his heart out while its still beating. i hate this ********er.

4. RMDad

RMDad New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Fredericksburg, Va.
    This guy is so bad, he would get a butt-whoopin' from po'd parents calling a youth league match.

If MLS ever wants to gain international stature, asshats like Vaughn need to be dumped, and fast.
    Mark

5. URwormfood

URwormfood Member

Mar 24, 2004
    6 feet under: LOT 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Terry crack-head ref....

********ing bastard!!

~worm~

6. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Can you explain to me then, if he's so bad, why he has a FIFA badge? Curious minds want to know.

7. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"Badges, we don't need no stinkin badges!"

Uhh just because he has one, doesn't mean he's good, just means FIFA was as blind as most of their refs when they handed them out.

8. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    So I guess I shouldn't say that he is one of my good friends, and defended me to USL when finding out that I had been fired back in 2001. To this day, he's one of the one's that I got the closest to while working with the refs. I still adore him. Sorry. But, if/when he screws up on the field, I will also be the first to say it. I can be objective.

9. RMDad

RMDad New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Fredericksburg, Va.
    His record reffing United matches speaks for it's self.
    This clown is bush league at best.
    Just because he has test passing knowledge doesnt mean he applies it well on the pitch. Kinda like a Dr with no patient contact skills, send em to research, or Pathology.
    American Refs need to do some self-policing, and improve thier lot, desperately.
    They seem oblivious to thier lack of credibility and consistancy.
    Mark

10. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso

have you seen the refs across the board in our confederation? i assume fifa has to have some quota from here, just assure internationals can be played. if that moron jamacian can get a fifa badge, anyone can.

i think its cool you stick up for him as a friend, somehow blind loyalty and vaughn go together ;) but seriously its cool you say it knowing that many of us here really hate vaughn. i hate him (as a ref) above all refs in the mls pool.

he absolutely gutted me with the **************** call for the screw and i didn't think much of him before that

11. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    Since when does having a badge make you good at what you do?

12. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    I just know that it takes a lot for them to get to that stage, and there are many others out there with the same qualifications (number of games, etc.) who are not ever considered for the badge. I'd like for some of the refs around here to chime in about what it takes to get the FIFA badge, and why some are overlooked while others are given it straight away. I'm actually curious about the process. Please help educate me!

13. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL

I'm sorry that call hurt you so badly - unfortunately I don't know what one you are talking about, so I can't comment. I know that all refs screw up, but since I have gone through much of the same 'training' in some cases, I guess I can look at things a little differently.

Have I ever called a game? No. Am I a ref? No. But, do I have the utmost admiration for what they do? Absolutely! And that does not only go for Vaughn. You've seen me stick up for many others throughout the year. If that's blind loyalty, then yes, I'm blind - but happily so.

Working with and getting to know these guys has been the best thing I've ever done in soccer - and this is my 30th year being involved in the sport.

14. RMDad

RMDad New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Fredericksburg, Va.
    I can't tell you the criteria for a FIFA badge.
    In Vaughn's case, I can tell you it must not include objectivity or
    professionalism.

15. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso

everyone has a role to play in football, mine happens to be the "homer" fan who bitches about anything (real or imagined) percieved as anti-United ;)

my brother-in-law has a fifa badge and refs matches all over europe and i know the amount of time and effort he expends on his skills and fitness. he is also very passionate about refereeing, i'd hope, no matter how crappy i or other fans think they are, our refs get as much enjoyment as he does.

16. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting a FIFA badge is equal parts skill and politics. However, you don't get consideration without first achieving your domestic federation's highest badge - in this case a USSF National badge (Grade 4).

I can tell you from experience that people don't normally get past Grade 6 without being a seriously good ref. Climbing the ranks from there involves endless evaluations and training, and to maintain the grade you have to have a minimum number of pro-level (D3, PDL, A League, MLS) games per year. This is no easy task, especially if there is no pro team nearby. Maryland has nine National refs this year, an amazing number given the size of our state, and they're all having a tough time getting their game counts in since the demise of the Chesapeake Dragons. Competition for game assignments is fierce. Two of our refs are getting regular MLS assignments this year - Adam Wienkowski and Rob Fereday. Rob is a FIFA AR.

That said, there are some guys who shouldn't be getting as many MLS games as they have been, IMO. However, there is a new generation of refs who have come up through the ranks in the last ten years who have had the benefit of an organized pro league (USL included), whereas some of the first-generation didn't.

17. RMDad

RMDad New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Fredericksburg, Va.

Somebody get R&B's bro-in-law a green card, STAT!

18. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

First, if all that was required was passing a written test the US would have hundreds of Fifa referees. Second, its on field performances and fitness more than anything else that get a referee to the national level and MLS let alone Fifa. In order to get on the international panel, a referee needs to be nominated my the USSF and then approved by Fifa. Considering the fact Vaughn has already recieved a few international assignments and has been traveling as a fourth offiical with Brian Hall during the current qualifying stage, Fifa considers Vaughn to have real potential. Third, if you really knew how hard those in Chicago are of all of its referees assigned to professional games not just the select few assigned to MLS, you'd know how foolish the policing comment is. These guys are under serious scrutiny and if you research the list of referees and ARs, you'll see plenty that have just dissapeared and that's due to performance. Fourth, there are over 200 national referees (including the Fifas) in the US. There are about 32 who get to center MLS games. These referees are identified and weeded out over years and years of different events. Now one just wakes up and becomes an MLS referee. A friend of mine got to MLS last year and some one started tracking his development when he was a teenager. Last, the USSF knows its referees need to get better and it aggressively seeks to identify referees with the potential to advance. I know this and have seen it first hand and it isn't easy to impress someone. Anyone who loves the game can referee too. If you really think officiating in this country is a problem, take a class and get out on the field. If you have time, dedication, and talent you could be ready for MLS in 7-10 years.

19. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001

Vaughn last year against [thread=110163]Columbus[/thread].

Thx,

Jay!

20. schmuckatelli

schmuckatelli New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    If you're really curious about what it takes to referee at the D1 level in the US, then look at http://dps.twiihosting.net/USSF/doc/content/doc_6_130.pdf . It's the Administrative Handbook for Referees published by USSF. At the highest level (which in this country, of course is MLS), every match is under federation scrutiny, and every referee is evaluated on each of his/her matches at that level.

I'm a referee, but I don't work at anywhere near those strataspheric heights (I'm a level 8 - just above pond scum on the evolutionary scale of refs). That said, I'm not going to defend or attack Terry Vaughn. He's just a ref. I strongly doubt he's out to screw United or help the other side. He may not be Pierluigi Collina, but it's not like we've got three standing behind him who are better waiting to take the job, is it? My personal opinion is that he's not all that bad. He keeps up with play, and he's relatively consistent in his games that I've watched. Some seem to have other, stronger opinions... ;)

21. RMDad

RMDad New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Fredericksburg, Va.
    The plain fact is that if you watch matches in other countries, the refs don't seem to make as many mistakes as they do here. USSF needs to initiate an exchange program to get these refs time in other countries.
    Perhaps then they would gain the humility to seek to improve.
    People whom are GOOD at what they choose to do earn my respect, those that aren't, don't.

Reffing is not a profession I have chosen, nor would it be.
    That doesn't mean I can't see the obvious.

If there are over 200 refs in the system, why do we continue to see the likes of Vaughn and Kennedy?

22. RMDad

RMDad New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Fredericksburg, Va.
    USSF needs to hire someone like Collina to administer and train MLS refs.

23. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    keep mics away from Barra, comcast :D

24. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We did that back in '99, and everyone bitched about that, too. Remember the game against Chicago? Stuart Dougal, a Scottish FIFA ref, handed out ten yellow cards and three ejections. The grass isn't always greener.

25. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We do - Esse Baharmast, who reffed in the '98 World Cup. He got VERY high marks during the tournament.