Terry Cooke wants out of Colorado

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Michel_Platini, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Michel_Platini

Mar 21, 2005
    http://mlsrumors.blogspot.com/2008/01/trade-terry-cooke-to.html

I have liked Terry Cooke's service--ie his crosses, but have never really liked his attitude.

He obviously plays really intensely, but it seems like he is scowling all the time and yelling at other players and generally just disagreeable.

Like I have said before, he can serve the ball, as long as he doesn't have to beat anyone one on one. Last season, he was good on set pieces, but he made a lot of mistakes, got beat, screwed up, but it always seemed to be someone elses fault. If he wants out, let him go.

BTW, I am giving him the benefit of the doubt re: the 'passion' comment. Bonji made a good point in the comments section of the above link. Terry was describing the difference between English football fans and MLS fans, not a complaint about Rapids fans.

2. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You forgot the disclaimer....

Mlsrumors does not vouche for the quality of the rumors, or make any promise that the rumors are not simply fabricated to create buzz, or based upon something someone said on Bigsoccer.

3. Michel_Platini

Mar 21, 2005
    I believe the disclaimer is self evident in the name of the blog--MLS rumors!

Plus, they rank the rumors, and some turn out to be true, and some not. Terry Cooke wanting out of Colorado seems like it could have some legs.

These are what rumors are for! "for the time inbetween games"

4. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look at the date on the linked article on Cookies' feelings. Then read what I already posted on the blog comments. I'm getting sick of this blog.

5. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree all around BUT has Cooke since refuted his statement?

6. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    I believe he has refuted it to every enterprising national soccer journalist who has banged down his door with an interview request (based on reading the MLSrumors blog) this MLS offseason.

(and I say this as a DC fan who would love the Gomez for Cookie and crumbs trade).

7. askum33

askum33 New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Bonji, to your comment and to the comment to your comment.
    He's kinda right.
    We never have been a loud crowd.
    We haven't really had that great of fan support.
    Supporters clubs haven't had the numbers needed to control the crowd.

Do we all hate that, sure, but is he wrong in saying that in invesco we weren't loud? No.
    Is he wrong to say that the atmosphere at Dick's isn't the greatest.
    No.

Our fan base has always shown itself to be fractured and individual.
    We don't have stadium wide chants.
    We don't have flags.
    We don't have streamers.
    We don't hear songs.
    People get kicked out for throwing popcorn. :p

Whose fault is this? A combination of the FO's and the Fans.
    Perhaps the majority of the fan base doesn't want it... none the less, Colorado is not know for the noise. Unless it is the noise of people complaining becasue you are too into the game.

The thing that continues to get me, is that when this subject comes up we feel the need to fight the individual that brings up the point, fighting each other about how we celebrate the sport and then finger point to those that are the "problem."
    I'll ask it again.

When are people on here going to start joining together to bring the noise all at once.

I don't want to talk about flares, flags and tailgates, I want to see talk about chants.
    About songs.
    About celebration.

No finger pointing, no "I'm a better fan than you," no You should.
    Can we have a talk about what WE Should do to make the atmosphere better?

********** the nay-sayers. Come up with some stuff that can be done by the two organized groups. The don't have to do everything together, just take that first step to do SOMETHING - in the stands - together.

*off my soap box*

8. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    The Jello Shots LOL

I'll put this out here as a first step for those that are looking for the place to find the seeds of atmosphere ... join over 250 supporters in the two groups:

http://www.centennialfirm.com - C-FIRM

http://NoFanAlone.com - Class VI

Apologize for the Spam ;)

9. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    This was clearly started by teddy and fhnkeeper03 claiming they had inside info on Cooke in the Christian Gomez trade rumor thread. Jade or her accomplice just took the word straight from here and tried to scrape the barrel for any semblance of an article suggesting Terry may not be happy.

The website should be shut down instantly, before it creates a supposed problem out of nothing. And in the future, you guys should be a hell of a lot more careful letting that kind of info out before Cooke has even left the team.

Jade and company have no journalistic integrity, it's true. But stupid rumors and hearsay like this really help no one.

10. askum33

askum33 New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Dude, it wasn't the Jello Shots.

Might have been the Jegar "waterfall" that was done right before the game or the shot for shot Vodka fest that was done before the waterfall...

Or it could have been me wanting to know what it was like to get thrown out of the game and convincing myself to do it about a week before.

the alcohol helped though.....

;)

11. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    I agree the rumors site is specious, but wouldn't a scoop that Cooke is considering leaving the team be a bit late if you wait until after the deal is done? There are malicious rumors, there are stupid rumors and there are wrong rumors. But reporting on-going events before they are complete/as they are being completed is the American way.

For example, the Christian Gomez deal at DC United is not exactly Herbstreit and Les Miles territory. Fans in the offseason are entitled to know the direction of negotiations and such if reporters can get real insight into the position of the various parties.

12. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    There is a HUGE difference between a "scoop" and hearsay. Jade or cohorts took this rumor from someone on a message board, who in turn heard through someone else that Cooke is supposedly "unhappy." And the "someones" along the way may be his agents or family, or they could be completely random people on the street, for all we know. That's 4 levels removed from an accurate, straight from Cooke account, and that's completely unreliable.

And please, don't tarnish "the American away" with nonsense like that again. MLSrumors is not a "reporter" in the sense of investigating sources before giving a report - they just throw whatever shit on the fan they can to get a reaction. It's despicable.

If you need an example of how thoroughly MLSrumors does their research: Cooke has played here for 3 years and is starting his fourth. The site is reporting he's only been here for two years. Someone called them out on this in the comments section of the site a few minutes ago, and the comment has already been deleted.

13. askum33

askum33 New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Jovan is really unhappy with the direction of the club and Clavijo.

He really wants out.

Jovan could be traded to Chivas for Marsh and a conditional 3rd round pic. Now, Marsh wasn't named outright, but since they mentioned a guy with ties to Colorado, I thought he would be the logical pick.

*please God let this work*

14. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    Maybe it would help if you would start reading

... I plainly said "the rumors site is specious ..." and quite clearly differentiated between malicious, stupid and wrong rumors and the genuine article. I don't know if Cooke is going to leave Rapids or not ... I don't think people should just speculate - but if they have genuine insight into the situation ... by all means tell us.

I even gave a relevant example of responsible reporting of on-going negotiations between a team and player.

But you are the guy talking about 'shutting people down' and requiring events to actually happen before journalists report on them. Either you are just bad at hyperbole or you don't think before you type.

15. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    No, I read your post. I'm quite aware that MLSrumors cannot cause a national controversy over what they put on the site. What I was saying is that the posters on these boards who originally gave away supposed inside info about Cooke being unhappy here should be more careful about letting that stuff out into the public. In retrospect, I could have plainly named them again so you wouldn't have been confused, but I don't rejoice in attacking message board users.

On the other hand, I won't hold my punches if a rumor site refuses to be held accountable for its integrity before publishing these things.

16. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My comment to the blog was just talking about the timing of his statement. Plus, if you read the comment again he's clearly talking about all of MLS fans being less passionate.

I don't think anyone thinks the MLS atmosphere is like England. I certainly don't. Whoever is taking shots at Class VI as an anonomous poster. Way to go.

17. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    You know - it is curious because many English fans of the club game criticize modern crowds for being quiet, plastic and boring - at least compared to what they once were (in the terraced area). Heck - even people like SAF and Liverpool's own fans (who are zealously trying to put the magic back in/Take Back the Kop) are critical of what has happened to their crowds.

I know there are exceptions, but I don't think that you will find a lot of Coca Cola Championship - let alone League 1 - sides that fill their stadia and/or generate noise and movement the way Toronto or DC fans do on their day. Being able to stand (English fans have to remain seated most of the game), clump, light the occasional pyrotechnic device, put up massive banners, jump and dance ... can make for a great time. There are lame clubs/crowds in MLS, just as there are lame clubs/crowds amongst English club teams (especially the ones where Terry Cooke would be playing).

Of course, it doesn't help that teams/crowds hardly get up for games when the Rapids are visiting. But I would put noise levels at DC games versus New England, RBNY or even non-traditional opponents like Houston against the average CCC match. They do not seem all that loud.

18. Michel_Platini

Mar 21, 2005
    Rapidstorm, obviously you are very passionate about the Rapids, and your belief that rumors can injure people.

I can appreciate that, but let me ask you, what is harmful in speculating if someone is leaving or not?

How can this create a problem?

When I first read the comment on the mlsrumors site, I was upset. Then I read the comment and realized that there is no evidence for saying that cooke is disgruntled with the fans.

I started this thread just to speculate on what we would be losing if we lost cooke, and that I feel that he is always is disgruntled and looks like he would be an a-hole to play with.

mlsrumors is good for the league. The league can't have their cake and eat it to: ie. want to be a major sports league, but keep it all in the family as well. Intrigue, drama, conflict are all good for the league and good for the game.

Have you been looking at all the crap you can buy as you surf the web scouring for inside information regarding trades? Everytime you click on a link that says "Terry Cooke being traded out of Colorado" or "Bouna condoul's freakish athleticism is accounted for by the fact that he is an alien" there is always a link for you to buy a Beckam Jersey. Or an addidas soccer ball. Or a Dempsey Fulham shirt. This means money for the league and money for the sport.

I have never seen any rumor that could actually damage somebody unless it was true. For example, Eric Frimpong who was drafted by KC and then convicted of rape. But these events happened, it wasn't like MLSrumors was saying "there is a rumor that John Doe has committed a crime."

To back it up, does anyone really know what happened with Joey Franchino and his leave of absence ?

Cooke could read this link, and make a public statement if he wanted.

19. fhnkeeper03

fhnkeeper03 Member

Jan 27, 2006
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :) :p

20. Michel_Platini

Mar 21, 2005
    Yeah we need some songs.

Maybe Kroenke could spend some money that he didn't spend on replacing FC or getting a DP on a good songwriter.

Anyone know how to get a hold of Jack Black & KG?

Tenacious D actually would be the perfect band to write a song about the always defensive minded fernando Clavijo years.

21. teddy_montoya

teddy_montoya RapidsThugLife

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice, Mark. Love it. I agree though. We need supporters. If you don't like standing please join CVI, and if sitting isn't your thing please join us (C-Firm). Believe me, we appreciate the new members. And I think you will love both groups regarldess of your opinions on how a atmosphere should be.

I can tell you that MLS Rumors is a really bad website to gather any news. As I have stated, Cooke really doesn't want to be here. Does that mean he will be gone, who knows. Will Gomez come? Who knows, I was just told, and I posted.

I agree, there is no such thing as a BETTER FAN than anyone else. Both groups are still trying to establish themselves. And sure the DICK isn't going to be like BMO Field. Nor DC, but we can try to improve ourselves every game, and every year. This year, we (C-Firm) are going to try and step it up. No more non-sense. We will bring the noise, flags, confetti, and other noticable stuff. Some chants and songs were taken away do to security reasons, but this year, THEEEEEERRRRRRRRRE BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!!!

I also agree that both groups should try something together. Mayeb get a team anthem going. Both groups vote and then the winner is sung at EVERY Rapids home game entrance. That could be a start.

22. dismemberment

dismemberment Member

Dec 10, 2007
    colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if he wants to go let him. i think his personally to slow and we should have a good paced guy on the right like Clark but can also sit back and play d or around the middle theres alot of talent everywhere for a replacement. When are we going to see loaned academy's arsenal or pachua players on rapids?

23. 30Something

30Something Member

Jun 3, 2004
    5280 Feet
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just hope these renewed chants have more than 4 syllables per line, followed by 5 claps. :p

I know this thread wasn't intended to discuss our supporters groups, but I'll play devil's advocate. In all seriousness, I try to avoid your group in the SE Corner. True, you clearly have more passion than anyone else in the stadium, but the monotony of your chants makes me want to stab pencils in my ears after 2 hours. Also, because the chants (mostly) sound the same, nobody outside of your section knows which one you're on at any given time. I know I'm not alone, because I've heard similar comments from others.

My advice is to take a tip from the other side of the pond and have fewer, more varied songs/chants. The fewer you have, the more likely it is that other (non Class VI'ers) will learn and join in. I know you all pass out lyrics sheets before the games, but it doesn't help when you only cover 2 dozen people in adjoining sections, who are frantically looking at their sheet to determine if you're saying "Come on Rapids" or "Let's Go Rangers" (clap, clap, clap-clap-clap).

Clearly the FO shoulders their share of the blame for rebranding a mediocre team every couple of years. I've said it before, and I'll say it again...its hard to create passion for a so-so product with an ever-changing identity.

24. teddy_montoya

teddy_montoya RapidsThugLife

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, our chants are too similiar. We are trying and we will take some of your advice. We are trying some new things out this year, hopefully they work...

25. CanadianBhoy

CanadianBhoy New Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Trade him to Toronto, he will love it here.

Be sure to watch our 800 + fans at our first away game in Columbus. Their front office is already in a panic and have put exclusion zones around us.

We swear in French and English, they don't understand and you never get thrown out.

Do you really get thrown out for popcorn??

I've thrown a 12.50 beer.