Terri Schiavo's Tube Removed

Discussion in 'Bill Archer's Guestbook' started by FeverNova1, Mar 18, 2005.

1. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    But that's really two problems, then. When I was a kid we spend practically every daylight hour outside running around with the neighborhood kids coming in only to eat. You can't solve the obesity problem without also looking at the inactivity problem.

2. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Lately, I've been thinking that tax incentives could be beneficial. For one, remove fast food companies from the companies that receive subsides for "training" people who are entering the workforce for the first time (it's not like they're learning skills at these jobs, or that they need the subsidies to stay in business). Second, provide tax breaks for fruit and vegetable stands in areas where such things are hard to come by. There's no reason why the poorest parts of the city should have a KFC, a Burger King, an Arby's, and a McDonald's but not a leaf of fresh produce. For all we talk about the "choice" one makes to eat well, it's remarkably hard to do so in certain parts of the city, or on tollways, or in airports.

Finally, junk food and junk food advertisting has absolutely no business whatsoever in schools. (This has benefits other than limiting the amount of junk kids eat and stopping companies from establishing brand loyalty among kids, but it would make teachers happier. I would hate to have to stand in front of a classroom of 30 kids who are all wired on Mountain Dew.)

3. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    This may shock you but we may be in agreement on the drinking issue.

I'm certainly for a healthy lifestyle. I believe exercise and smart eathing habits are the key. I work out three times a week (when I find the time) but I currently don't eat healthy. I do think some of these fast food joints have made efforts to add some healthy items to their menus such as Wendy's salads (although I don't care for them).

Look at the parents. That's who I blame. I have a problem with parents that are too afraid to tell their kids "NO".

4. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    The schools in Plano this year have abolished sweets. No more birthday cakes for the young kids on their birthdays. No candy bars in vending machines. The stupidity of it all comes from that they still can have ice cream machines (and it ain't cheap). The reasoning is that ice cream has a nutritional value.

5. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Not sure about Wendy's salads, but the McDonad's salads--once you add the dressing--are just about as bad as the Big Macs. (Taco Bell's taco salad, if memory serves me right, has something like 100 grams of fat!) I suppose it's a step in the right direction, though.

I work out five or six days a week, and I try to eat healthy. I also like junk food but try to limit the amount I eat.

Absolutely, 100% true. Furthermore, it doesn't help when the parents also have poor eating habits. There's a lot of blame to be spread around.

6. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    But there's other problems here, too. An article I read in USAToday detailing efforts of the 14 year old kid living in a poor area of New York and his attempt to lose weight. The hospital nearby has a program that he joined that attempts to show how to eat healthier and also exercise.

But the biggest problem in these areas is that they are underserved WRT big chain grocery stores--most of the shopping is done in smaller mon-and-pop type stores.

7. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    It's shameful to drive through the bad parts of Chicago. For all the talk about the "choice" to eat junk food, in these parts of town, junk is literally the only choice you have.

8. CrewSchmack

CrewSchmack Member

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Mar 3, 1999
    Delaware, OH
    That's where I have a serious problem. Why do public schools allow soda machines and candy machines in them?

I think when I got to high school there was a Coke machine...one. No candy, no nothing. We had a slushie machine during lunch time that made slushies with fruit juices. This was in 1988 in NJ. Now they have these items in grade schools?

To me there's a serious problem with that.

9. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    Not to make light of this thread title, but did anyone else notice that this thread has gone from starving someone to eating too much junk food?

10. CrewSchmack

CrewSchmack Member

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Mar 3, 1999
    Delaware, OH
    Wendys salads are bad, with the exception of the side salad. What they do have is the fruit cup and fruit tray with yougurt that you can get. My wife loves it.

11. CrewSchmack

CrewSchmack Member

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Mar 3, 1999
    Delaware, OH
    I guess, at least we're still talking about food? I noticed it just before I posted 2 minutes ago...perhaps another topic is in order?

12. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    The Schiavo Port-Mortem: The University of Miami has released some interesting papers related to Terri Schiavo.

13. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    7. The Schindlers claimed someone had injected Terri with an unknown substance. The hospice confirmed what appeared to be puncture marks on Terri’s arm, along with scratches on the other arm, and found a purple “needle cap” in the room which was not from the hospice. Strangely, the hospice interviewed Mrs. Schindler about the cap, but did not interview Michael Schiavo about the cap, although nurse reports indicate he was the last person alone with Terri before the puncture marks and needle cap were found.