Terremotos on Telemundo

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by sangreazul, Oct 23, 2004.

1. sangreazul

sangreazul Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Belmont, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I was channel surfing at around 6:00 this evening and by chance saw a nice 25 minute segment on Telemundo on the Earthquakes taped today from the Quakes practice session at West Valley. It's a weekly show called Deportivo Telemundo hosted by sports anchor Ramon Diaz. He had interviews with Ramiro Corrales, Landon Donovan, Dominic Kinnear, and the Quakes Media Relations director ( Diaz completeley butchered the name, so I can't tell you the name.) Just a couple of things that stood out besides the usual how do you see the team doing, etc ...

* Corrales, Donovan, and Kinnear all agreed and confirmed that the relocation rumors really weighed on the teams performance this season as they really couldn't focus as they would have liked to.

* When Donovan was asked about next year and his possible return to Bayern Leverkuesen, he said that the directivos of Bayern were gentleman and that the decision to return was up to Donovan. He wouldn't be forced to go if he didn't want to. Landon, though not saying what he wanted to do next year, sounded confident that if he wanted to stay in San Jose ( MLS) something could be worked out ...

* Corrales was asked by Diaz if he would ever like to play in Mexico. Ramiro said that there has been contact by some teams not only from Mexico, but from elsewhere as well. ( He did not say what teams or what other countries.)

* The media relations person said that the first 5,000 fans to tomorrows playoff game against Kansas City will receive banderines ( small flags )

We all agree that the media for the most part has done a pretty crappy job in regards to the Quakes. We should also give kudos when they do promote the team. Hope to see a good crowd tomorrow. Aguante los Earthquakes !!!!

-sangreazul

2. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    Agreed! That is refreshing to hear that someone did a feature on the Quakes leading into this series. Viva Telemundo!!

Thanks for sharing the excerpts for those of us that missed it. Thanks, especially, for passing along the following points:

1) ...the ultimate power in the decision of LD's whereabouts next year lies solely with Donovan. (should be obvious but there are many who still contend it.)

2) ...Ramiro has drawn offers from abroad. Good for Ramiro--better that he has chosen to stay with us!

3) ...to a man, they all stated that the relocation talk has weighed on them this season. From all that I have read on such comments from the team, they truly feel SJ is a home to them and feel they are a part of the community. They feel "at one" with the fans here. I will say that in my 30+ years of following pro sports, I have never felt this kind of "oneness" with a franchise. As a reporter, I knew players on a "business-familiar" level because you'd see them everyday but it was about the job. With the Quakes, the guys genuinely give of themselves to the fans. They routinely say we are an extension of the team through our support. (Nobody has demonstrated that better than SSV. Well done, guys/gals!!!) :D

3. CARLOS1

CARLOS1 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    * Corrales was asked by Diaz if he would ever like to play in Mexico. Ramiro said that there has been contact by some teams not only from Mexico, but from elsewhere as well. ( He did not say what teams or what other countries.)

Hmm. Belize perhaps ?