Tennis....?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Kopite Fluffy, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Kopite Fluffy

Kopite Fluffy New Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Salisbury, UK
    I was just looking in the Other Sports sub forum, and was shocked to find that there was not a Tennis forum. As far as I am concerned it is one of the world stop sports, so I would like to hear your opinions when it comes to Tennis- favourtie players, tournaments etc etc.

2. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have created tennis threads in the past over here, whenever there are Grand Slam tournaments going on (there is no dedicated sub-forum as you said, and frankly the lack of traffic here doesn't warrant one, as much as you and me may like the sport). You can dig up those threads.

Look, it's just a fact that popularity of tennis as a televised sport in USA is at an all-time low. I know you're not in the US, but this board is dominated by American posters. American sport fans seem to be very provincial. Now that Sampras, Agassi are gone, and the sport is dominated by the incredible Federer (closest contenders are non-Americans - Nadal, Baghdatis, Safin etc.), it is very bleak for popularity of professional tennis in USA. There are few prospects on the horizon such as James Blake, but they are few and far between.

Do I like it? No. But is it my business shoving down priorities on others by asking for a sub-forum, when clearly traffic doesn't warrant it? No.

I have absolutely no comments to make about women's tennis.

3. iker casillas

iker casillas New Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Rafael Nadal The Best!

4. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a question. I understand and support that women will be paid the same as men at Wimbledon this year, but why aren't they playing 3-of-5 sets yet. That is something that really needs to be changed in tennis overall. That is still 1950s thinking that female athletes don't have the endurance of men. Obviously, if men played women, on average men would win, but women have actually been proven to have MORE endurance then men, not less. When you look at ultramarathon results, women are finishing higher and higher in the final results. Women also sweat more efficiently than men do. I'm sure I can find a link. One sec ...

Okay, here's one.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0820/is_2001_May/ai_73621959

No matter what the studies say, it is clear that women can do anything men can in regards to endurance and no sports event should have different endurance levels any more (sets in tennis and distances in NCAA cross country races are the two that first come to mind).

Speaking of NCAA cross country, I participated and I remember some of the female athletes on the team saying that they didn't mind having to run shorter distances but could not figure out why that was the case - it made no sense to them. I have also talked to a pretty significant and respected Division I track and field coach who is passionate about this issue and does not understand at all why the men's and women's teams have to run different distances.

2-of-3 sets versus 3-of-5 at Wimbledon and 6K races versus 10K at NCAA Division I Cross County Championships. Neither makes sense anymore except for the excuse, "That's how it's always been."

5. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    They arent playing best of 5 sets because the organisers dont want it. The tournaments would last longer than the normal two weeks and the scheduales would seriously change. Maybe only get two games a day on one court, fans expect to see at least three a day.

And the main thing is the fans are happy with women being best of three.

The mens game is also slightly more popular. So longer time on court for men.

6. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, I was wondering if anybody was going to reply to my statement. :rolleyes: But then again I know tennis isn't exactly a big passion on Big Soccer. :eek:

To respond, I see your point about the havoc it would do to the schedules. Other than building new courts, probably the only way to do that would be to open on the weekend for a 16-day event as opposed to 14.

It all goes back to tradition. Obviously, if it had always been 3-out-of-5 for both men's and women's, they would have found a way to keep it going. I'm not even sure if anybody actually thinks that women can't do it -- they just are so used to (as are the schedules) having women play 2-of-3. But if it could be done I would like to see it.

Maybe move men down to playing 2-of-3 ... :p

7. BuzzSawAndDynamo

BuzzSawAndDynamo New Member

Jul 9, 2007
    Federer is my favorite. Nadal is a thorn that needs to go away. THank god Federer won Wimbledon. 11-3:)

8. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Breaking News: Naomi Osaka dropped out of the French Open one day after officials threatened to expel her from the season’s second Grand Slam tournament if she continued to refuse to attend news conferences after her matches.

9. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yahoo Sports
    Roger Federer’s legendary career is coming to an end.
    Federer will step away from competitive tennis following the Laver Cup in London next week
    [​IMG] https://yhoo.it/3BGaZI6

11. Martin Hare

Martin Hare Red Card

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Jul 28, 2023
  12. Al Gabiru

Al Gabiru Member

Jan 28, 2020
    The best fundamentals of 2023 according to Tennis Data Innovations

Attached Files:

13. Al Gabiru

Al Gabiru Member

Jan 28, 2020
    #13 Al Gabiru, Jan 11, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2024
    https://theathletic.com/5177051/2024/01/10/australia-novak-djokovic-open/?source=nyt_sports

I read this great article about Djoko this morning and it reminded me of these other two good pieces about Nadal and Federer

14. Al Gabiru

Al Gabiru Member

Jan 28, 2020