Tennis Center - your chance to be John McEnroe

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by amir, Feb 27, 2009.

1. amir

amir Member

Feb 19, 2001
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Need a place to pour your heart out about the great game? Rackets, shoes, USTA, Nadal, Agassi, anything about tennis post it here.

Don't know if there is already one here, if there is let me know.

2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Modified the tread title to reflect the all inclusive aspect rather than the possibilities of it being SPAM...

Was dissapionted that Gonzalez (of Chile) decided to take the Davis cup as THE top priority and skip the event in Memphis. Would have been nice to take the wife (she is Chilean and a tennis fan!)

Oh, well. Next year...

3. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    played my first tennis in months, actually beat a guy I have never played before. only played one set, but won 6-4. Going to try and play again in a couple of weeks.

4. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Later this summer I'll be looking to play my first tennis in years. I played serious, competitive tennis for nearly a decade, got recruited for some D-I programs in college, but eventually quit to become a full-time academic (which I was better at, anyway).

Shaking 5 years of rust off is going to be pretty painful, but I'm looking forward to demoing some new sticks and trying to get my groove back.

5. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5 years! That's nothing, I went from 1986 to probably 2008 without picking up a racket.

6. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it true that the instincts kick in by themselves once you start back up again? Timing, on the other hand, takes some work I'd think.

7. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We call that "reminiscence" the first time you go out, you are usually a world beater. Then the more you play the more you get back your bad habits.

I never had much of a top-spin forehand, but last summer I got a badminton set and really whipped up some topspin birdies. Well I went to play in March and suddenly I had this whipping topspin forehand that was wicked good. Still had it on Tuesday. Now I'm going to play next week, so if I still have it.... look out!

;)