Ten Years After

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by KareemSoda, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Not that I accept this play, but where the hell is this kind of aggression on the current team? Chris Lietch prolly won't even step on an ant!

* Diallo scores four goals in 5-0 win over Galaxy (2001).

* Metros beat Chicago 4-1 at home in front of 29K. The start of a new era begun. Octavio and Razov were both ejected...Nick is accused of paying fines after Metro players go for dirty tackles. (2000)

* Metros beat New England 4-2 at home. Billy Walsh scored a goal from 20 something yards out (2000).

* Metros beat DC United 2-1 after a Carey Talley own goal late in the second half. In the pregame video, Billy Walsh said that if he were to score, it was going to be a scrappy goal. Early in the first half, a ball into the box, Billy went for a header, barely getting his head on it (it looked like an OG at first) and sending it past Ammann in his first game agaisnt the Metros since being traded (2001).

2. Mathis is a God

Mathis is a God New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    NJ
    Since you brought him up, one of my favorite moments in Metrostar history is when Billy Walsh retired.

3. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    I find it amazing that people still have such strong feelings for this guy.

4. KareemSoda

KareemSoda Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Not in NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldnt recognize Billy Walsh if he walked up to me. My fav were/are Jeff Zaun, Rob Johnson (We've got the biggest Johnson in the league), and Rhett Harty. Cant forget Miles Joesph either!

5. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    I wouldn't mind Billy right now. Our team stinks!

6. KareemSoda

KareemSoda Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Not in NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our newest Metrogirl showing off their new uniforms...
    [​IMG]

7. Mathis is a God

Mathis is a God New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    NJ
    Funny story actually... I met Rob Johnson, who coaches at Rutgers University now, and he played on my intramural soccer team. I didnt know much about him until I read afterwards online that he is well known for commiting the game losing foul on Marco Etcheverry where the Metrostars lost their first playoff series. Besides that though, he was a damn good intramurals player.

8. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Walter Zenga going bonkers at the ESC during play of a Metro v NE game after the ESC started chanting "Ar-Gen-tina Ar-gen-tina"

9. KareemSoda

KareemSoda Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Not in NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OH MAN!!! THATS RIGHT!!! THAT WAS GREAT!!

10. CRSvideo

CRSvideo Member

Jul 24, 1999
    New York, NY
    Most vivid was one that unfortunately I can't remember the details. Peter Villegas shoots a rocket into the opposing teams goal for the win in the last minute of OT (back in the days when we had OT). I believe we were playing Tampa Bay and at half time they were up 2-0 (maybe 3-0?). Metros came to life in the second half and got the tie in regulation, then Peter's OT shot. Great match.

Like I said, I vividly remember the moment and the feeling, but don't remember who the opponent was or what the final score was, just that Peter shot it in the last sec of OT and that we won (and Peter was jumping all over the place).

11. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    You're right. Metros were down 2-0, and Villegas had the winner.
    http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/history/archive_game.jsp?year=00&content=0520tbmet

12. NOBES

NOBES New Member

Jul 19, 2005
    Ten years after the best teams were the 2000 and 2001 versions, in fact those were the only two seasons where the metros weren't mediocre, they gave us hope, now it's all of the same, before and after

13. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Yep...ironically enough, Meola and Lalas were/are involved with both bad stretches.

14. NOBES

NOBES New Member

Jul 19, 2005
    It wasn't 10 years of mediiocrity as Ives puts it, we were actually good and came very close to a title those two years.

15. Freddie Adu

Freddie Adu Member

Mar 6, 2003
    NYC
    The moment I remember most is that free kick that went in off of Chung's head against the Galaxy(?) in the playoffs to finish our season. What a crappy way to lose a series. That was the one year I thought maybe we had a chance.

16. NOBES

NOBES New Member

Jul 19, 2005
    That was 2001 and yes, had there been goal differential as the deciding factor in the play offs we would have gone through easily as we beat LA 4 - 1 at home year and lost 2 - 1. it was the bright minds that decided to "invent" a minigame and we lost in overtime, after missing a ton of chances including a few by Chung.