tell us about your encounters with any mls player.

Discussion in 'MLS: Rumors' started by 12wizards22, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Going Mobile

Going Mobile Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're kidding right ? Do you really think God gives a **** about the KC Wizards or MLS ? I would hope he working something a lil more important like World peace or finding Osama or that whole rapture thing. I hear its coming soon, I hope hes ready for the crowds

2. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    From my experience with Dallas players, they all seem to be cool and chat after the post game parties.

Had Donovan sign my FIFA 2003 PS2 cover and he was trying to sign as many things as he could before being pushed into the team bus.

Thought I saw Lalas at the DFW airport back in the summer of 99. Reason I thought it was him is who else has a super long red goattie and long red hair at that time?

3. wizardsfan23

wizardsfan23 New Member

Dec 25, 2004
    My friend, sister and I scan the Wizards site everyday and found that the players were making special apperances at some Wendys located in the area and we went to see Alex Zotinca first in downtown Kansas City. We were the only ones there to actually see the players and ended up talking to him for the whole hour that he was there. Then later that week went to see Diego Walsh in Harrisonville and once again were the only ones there to see him and once again talked to him and got a picture. It was alot of fun.

4. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    After the Crew/Revs playoff game a few years back, All the players went to a downtown bar in Boston. Met Kyle Martino and Dante Washingotn briefly, and talked with Adin Brown for afew minutes.

Adin was great. Bought him a shot of Jagermeister and wished him luck in the MLS cup..

5. halfnelson31

halfnelson31 New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    NOVA
    At the MLS All star game this year i mustve been the oldest(16) out of all the lil kids and parents gettin autographsfrom players. Gaven walked by and im like "Eddie u g2 give me and autograph look what i got on(Metros hat and jersey)" and he sigend my lil sierra miast fan thing. Then Chris Klien signed my fan and im like "u should be gettin more caps man" and i can tell he appreciated my comment. Cant help but think if i might have jinxed him though...

6. Dennis P. Crawford

Dec 5, 2001
    I went to a Wizards exhibition match against Creighton University in Omaha, Nebraska in the spring of 2002. After the game, my kids and I went to a fast food restaurant that was just a few blocks from the stadium where the game was played. Shortly thereafter, two buses pulled up and the Wizards players and coaches went into the restaurant. Once they were in the restaurant, my kids got numerous autographs from the Wizards and took many pictures. The coaches and players couldn't have been more accomodating and more gracious.

7. wizardsfan23

wizardsfan23 New Member

Dec 25, 2004
    to soccergc20, you just have to keep trying. sooner or later im sure you'll get your well deserved autograph.

8. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My favorite player encounter happened a couple of years ago. It was the season that Eric Wynaldo got traded to the Fire. It was the tuesday after his first game with the team. I was in the fittness center for the apartment complex that I was living in on the staionary bike. This guys walks into the cetner that looks like Wyanldo and sits down on a bike next to me. I ask him if his name is "Eric". He says yes, and we talked about MLS, France '98, what he'd like to do when he done playing. He seemed like a really nice guy and not at all like he had been described. A couple of weeks later I saw him in the elevator with his wife and daughter, he saide hi and even remembered my name. I'm still kicking myself for not asking about the real deal with Harkes and Sampson.

9. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    I've gotten stuff signed, about 10 signatures or so. Never really talked to any of the guys because of all the people there, but they're always nice and friendly. I even got Adu's signature, which was tough with all the screaming little kids and even some adults. I found the best way to get guys to sign stuff is to have a girl you know (preferably hot) call out his first name and they usually come over. I got Josh Gros' signature that way and after I thanked him, he said to me, "No, thank you!" which I thought was a very nice gesture. He also was looking a little "deer in the headlights" at all the stuff there was to sign. Finally, I also got Kovalenko's signature in 2003, basically hes a very nice guy in person.

10. Danyo

Danyo New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    DE and VA
    Met Jeff Agoos in the bathroom of a movie theater a couple years back. I got really excited since I had never met a player before. He was really nice and talked to me a little bit. I had nothing to get autographed, so I tried to shake his hand, he was nice enough to wash his hands first. He asked me to keep going to MLS games, I told him he didn't have to worry about that.

11. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stopped reading right there.

12. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA
    I once saw Earnie Stewart and his family eating at Ruby Tuesdays at the Reston Town Center.

Me and a bunch of my friends from my coed rec soccer team had gone to Ruby Tuesdays to grab a few beers after practice. Right after we were seated, I looked up and holy cow! there was Earnie.

I didn't go up and bug him since he was eating with his family, plus I was kind of sweaty and muddy after practice, but it was kind of cool to bump into him like that.

13. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA

(Ee-Ee Whoo-Whoo) Why you all in my ear? Talkin' a whole bunch a ********** that I ain't tryin to hear. Get Back! You don't
    know me like that. Get back! You don't know me like that!

14. Dennis P. Crawford

Dec 5, 2001
    I talked briefly to Bob Gansler before K.C.'s home opener v. Chicago for the 2000 season. I was standing by the end zone wearing a France jersey during the pre-game warmups. Gansler came up to me and asked me how I was doing. I said I was doing fine and I complimented him on K.C. playing well during the 2000 pre-season. He responded that now it really counted and he hoped that K.C. "played like France." He shook my hand and then joined the team. As it turned out, K.C. played pretty well that night beating the Fire 4-3.

15. soccermusician

Oct 20, 2004
    I saw chelo once in a guatemala vs costa rica in 97 in LA just walking around like nothing scouting on the teams. I met Machon when he came with Guatemala long time ago. Hartman was apunk when i met him in a galaxy game and asked for a autograph. He looked at me serious and said something really dumb. Cunningham was cool. Hard to get at stars like Donovan, Ruiz, Cobi, cause everyone wants them. I met all the Galaxy team when i traveled to Colorado in the denver airport and Cien and Hernandez were cool cats. Also met Jason Kreis and graziani at the airport. I have met more but to many to remember.

16. wizardsfan23

wizardsfan23 New Member

Dec 25, 2004
    That is very nice of them. See, don't you love non-cocky players? I do. And I would have to say that the Wizards is one of the few teams that almost all of their players don't think too highly of themselves.

17. wizardsfan23

wizardsfan23 New Member

Dec 25, 2004
    Awesome.

18. wizardsfan#8

wizardsfan#8 New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    miss arnaud? i think this is you.
    this is mrs. walsh right now. hahaha. can you tell by my name? i just got it. YAY! :D
    well..i've had WAY too many encounters will lots of players i cant name them all..but the ones with alex, and diego..were unbeatable. until you and your husband get to know eachother more. i love you. :)
    see ya later arnaudci!

19. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    And they do it after every home game or you can meet them at the Hard Rock Cafe in Dallas after each match. Classy guys with a class organization.

20. wizardsfan23

wizardsfan23 New Member

Dec 25, 2004
    Well I have a question for 12wizards22. Is the reason as to why you have the 12 and then the 22 is because you like Jimmy Conrad and Davy Arnaud? Is that why? Because thats why I have a 23 after my name. Because #23 is Alex Zotinca and I just think he's an awesome guy.

21. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I play for Braintree Celtic in the New England Over the Hill Soccer league. We have a good team, but, there is one team in the first division who is usually the cream of the crop. On their roster, they have the likes of Bruce Murray, Mike Burns, Steve Nicol,Johnny Kerr, Francis Okaroh, Rob Murphy, et. al. In a match a few years ago, one of our goalies was injured and another was away. I volunteered to play in goal. Playing for the Boston Bulldogs at that time was Fernando Clavijo, then the REV head coach. A long ball over the top sent him thru and he was one versus one with me. I came off my line and he started to dribble around me. My encounter with a former MLS player and coach has full contact. I dove to my left and wrapped both arms around his legs. I executed a perfect American football tackle and brought him down in the box. Amazingly, I wasn't carded. Unfortunately, he scored on the ensuing PK. :eek:

22. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    I doubt he would have talked about it.

23. burn 2002

burn 2002 New Member

Dec 27, 2001
    I had the luck to be visiting team liason for the Dallas Burn for a couple of seasons a few years back. I got to meet all the players in the MLS at the time. Most are pretty cool. I remember Stoichkov was a great guy who always seamed to be enjoying what he was doing. My best time with him was when we walked together from the locker room to the far side of the field at the Cotton Bowl talking in Spanish with his arm around me the whole time!Considering I saw him against Argentina a few years before that in the World Cup at the C. B., that was quit a thrill. To the guy talking about Mateaus,, he was the biggest jerk I ever ran into.. Period.. For the guy who got the autograph from Valderama.. His nickname is "El Pibe" for since forever. I got to know him from being here because he played with a good friend of mine in Columbia. Everyone calls him Pibe. I have a photo with him, one with him holding up my 2 year old daughter after a game. He is a pretty darn nice guy..I also found Preke to be a very good guy also. Clavio was the nicest coach probably..But I knew him before from pro indoor soccer when he coached in Miami...I had a good time and thanks to a former Burn employee I got to experience those times.

24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I was hanging out in the Starbuck's in National Airport (now Reagan airport) and none other than our beloved Bobby Convy came in wearing his DC United gear. This was quite a while ago. He was on his way to some youth tournament in Argentina, which I've now forgotten the story with. I think it was a youth World Cup. He had met some other guy there who I didn't recognize ( In retrospect I think it was Santino but didn't know at the time). Anyway, I was too freaked out to approach them. Not my style. You can't disturb a man when he's having a grande latte, now can you.

NOW OUR LITTLE BOBBINHO IS ALL GROWED UP!!!

I also went to college at William and Mary, and had various encounters with Adin Brown, Steve Jolley, and Wade Barrett. Nothing too exciting, though. Then I went to grad school at Indiana, and met a ton of MLS players. Nothing to report other than Dema Kovalenko was nice to me. Shocking!!

25. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Met Preki when I was a kid and he played in MISL.

Saw the entire 2001 Colorado Rapids squad at the Boston airport on the way back from the WCQ/Revs-Rapids DH. I was too star struck to go over and talk, but I nodded at Adin Brown and he acknowledged me.

Met Bora several times.