Tell Me This Is Not The Best Attacking Team

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by FlanInTheFace, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I don't disagree with that. Name more than four players who were more influential for their club team last year.

2. Morbo

Morbo Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Rotterdam
    First of all, when I said that I consider both equal, I also mentioned that I haven't exactly seen Riquelme play weekly. Secondly: judging by what I've seen of him, I'd say that VDV was as good as riquelme in his first two seasons at ajax and this season at HSV. Now my question to you is: How many Ajax(from that period)/HSV games have you seen to be able to judge VDV's ability so well. Seeing as you're American, I doubt you get weekly coverage of dutch football.

3. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Morbo again.

4. feyenoord4ever!!

feyenoord4ever!! New Member

Nov 1, 2005
    the future best striker of the world can be klaas jan huntelaar this year allready scored 16 times in 14 matches for heerenveen!! thats amazing

5. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    He's got a long way to go before claiming the "best striker in the world title." Let's see how he does outside of Heerenveen first.

6. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait a second, are we talking about the same Van der Vaart who has been completely invisible in the CL with Ajax the past 4 years? :confused: You guys are comparing him to Riquelme? :eek: I've always been a proponent of legalizing pot in the US but this might actually make me rethink my posotion ;)

And to answer the original poster's question, Holland doesn't have the best attacking team in the world. I really can't see one Dutch (attacking)player on current form cracking either Argentina's or Brazil's first eleven. And only a fit Robben would definately start for Italy and England atm. RVN would also have a shot at displacing Gila or Owen in those lineups.

7. Morbo

Morbo Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Rotterdam
    I wouldn't call him invisible in Ajax's 2002/2003 CL campaign, where they were knocked out by AC Milan in the semi's, if I'm not mistaken (could also be the quarters. It's been a long time and can't be bothered to remember specific Ajax results). In the years following that season there were alot of internal struggles at Ajax, blablabla I already told this story blablabla look up my previous posts in this topic blablabla :)

Are we talking about the same Riquelme who failed miserably at Barca? Or the same Riquelme who was invisible against AZ last year in the UEFA cup?

Try to find some HSV matches from this season. VDV has been the best player on the pitch in most of those matches.

Anyway, this will be my last reply on the subject, because this discussion is useless. One man's legend can be the other man's... ehh... what's opposite of a legend in English? Well, you get my point.

8. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Sorry, but with that talent around him, if he were as good, he'd have done more with Ajax.

You'd be surprised, actually.

I'll let that assumption slide, even though my location will be moving to a European one in less than a month. However, I was living in the US two years ago when we were getting weekly Dutch league coverage. Guess who were featured most often? We still get one German league game per week; I've seen vdv play 4 games this year, I believe. And yes, he's been quite good. No one's denying that. But as good as the man who's Argentina's most focal player? Sorry.

9. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Quarters, I believe. And he wasn't the best player on that side, either.

Surely such a great player can play past a little adversity? Ajax has a wealth of talent compared to Villareal.

You mean the same Riquelme who spent half a season at Barca, in a new continent and a new league and failed to immediately settle? Yeah, that's the one. And Riquelme wasn't invisible against AZ. :confused:

Sorry; but vdv hasn't even approached Riquelme's form for Holland.

10. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    To be fair, even though VdV obviously never showed his full potential at Ajax, that was a hard thing to do in a team that lacked certain players. Some experience for example. And hard working players,

11. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I hope vBasten plays him our upcoming friendlies.
    He could be the # 2 striker after RvN

12. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Where on the old continent are you moving to?

13. AMERICANISTA

AMERICANISTA New Member

Dec 30, 2005

Carlos Alberto Parreira said he wouldn't use all of them at the same time.

14. Narmec

Narmec Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Tucson, Arizona
    Sorin yes, Forlan uummm....ok, Figueroa is utter shite. He can disappear for months. Plus, he's a diving fvck. The CL match I saw when Riquelme was hurt was an embarrassment to strikers. Figueroa had absolutely nothing to offer, except for a few egregious dives. If he's even on Argentina's side for the WC, I'll feel much better for the Dutch.

As a fan of the Dutch, it pains me to say this, but in no way can you compare VDV to Riquelme. Riquelme is the absolute fulcrum of Argentina's attack. Right now, VDV is a borderline starter for the Dutch. Anybody that saw Arg/Brazil in Buenos Aires cannot say that VDV is equal to Riquelme.

15. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  16. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Londres. Convenient, eh? ;)

17. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
  18. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    No way Riquelme has been Liga's best player (or 2nd best)

I dont think too many people will agree with you

19. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Start a poll if you'd like. You may well be surprised.

20. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with nice on this one. Most people would say Ronaldinho has been the best, I disagree. Ronaldinho may not have even been the best on Barca last year. Riquelme was better.

21. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Polls can be manipulated, but I'll tell you what when Spain does their annual player of the year awards and Riquelme finishes in the top 3, I will concede and admit I'm wrong.

Hows that??

BTW When does La Liga do their 'Player of Year' vote??

22. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, go to the Barca or Real boards and just ask them what they think of Riquelme. I think he is the most valuable (to his team) player in all of Spain, maybe challenged or beaten by Casillas. He is far more irreplaceable than Ronaldinho.

23. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Honestly, I'm not a big fan of those - Roberto Carlos has nearly won a couple of POTYs. Go to the Spain fora and ask them. You'll be really surprised.

24. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Riquelme won the best playmaker award last year in La Liga over Ronaldinho.

25. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004

I disagree. No matter how good Xavi, deco and eto'o are. Barca are just a level down in Class when Ronnie is not in the team. Let me put it this way, Villareal would part with Requelme way before Barca would part with Ronaldinho.