Tejada: RSL's anti-Latin bias...

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by RSL Fortaleza Menina, May 8, 2007.

1. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    DIAaDIA : ¡Lo sorprendieron!
    Related?...Gustavo Cabrera flashback

2. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
  3. Super Phil

Super Phil Member

Apr 1, 2006
    West Jordan
    Ummm...English please.

4. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    This is unintentionally funny. :)

5. Blitzz Supporter

May 23, 2004
    Centerville
    Or is a out of shape thing? There are tons of out of shape Latin Baseball players, so why can't we have an out of shape Latin Soccer Player? Out of shape people everywhere, including myself, should cry FOUL!

6. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    Tejada said that Kreis is a "false person", a phony; we might say. He heard that Kreis does not like Latinos. He knows that it's personal. (not related to weight, ability or discipline.)

7. RedDevil013

RedDevil013 Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually its not. Many of us, myself included dont speak or read spanish but would like to know what the article says. Whats wrong with that?

8. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    True, although a reasonable request. I'll give it a shot, although my Spanish isn't what it used to be (suggestions/corrections appreciated):

"Matador" said that Kreis ended up being a liar. I know it is something personal because I have heard that he doesn't like latinos, because other latinos have had the same experience. He didn't want to count on me in the moment when the team is bad, if they were well then it would be another thing.

Nor is this for lack of discipline, nor football, nor weight, becasue these are the 3 things that you are going to see have nothing to do with this (not sure if I got this part of the translation right), manifested the Panamanian footballer. No son of God dies mouth down (??), there are some options and we're going to wait.

As noted I could use help on that last paragraph. What was he trying to say?

9. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    See here & here

Anyway, here's my take...

This is almost certainly a case or "sour grapes"...but the damage done to RSL's already suspect reputation among potential Latino players is dangerous.

10. Super Phil

Super Phil Member

Apr 1, 2006
    West Jordan
    It would be easy enough to run it through a translator program on Yahoo, but I don't care enough about what Tejada has to say to do that. What do you expect him to do...praise the team and the decision to can his ass? :rolleyes:

11. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
  12. nsps

nsps Member

Jul 26, 2006
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Just run it through Google translator—it's as good as a real person!

Hope that's clear now.

Anyway, those charges of racism are pretty serious. Are there any instances to back it up? If we refuse to scout Latin American talent, that would be a mistake. I know that no players who didn't speak English ever flourished under Ellinger. Is Tejada claiming that he is, in fact, match fit, or just saying that other motives came into play as well?

I'll do my best to help out with any French stories about Kipre.

13. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    Yeah, Taragui; I agree. That last paragraph is a bit opaque and I'm not sure babelfish or whoever would do any better.

Your translation is better than mine. I was trying to figure out that second part.

Maybe if someone sees Daniel Torres at practice, he could help us figure it out, or Christian Jimenez?

14. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
    It's an idiomatic expression, which are hard to translate without the appropriate cultural contexts...

It's my understanding that he is simply saying that he won't give up...

15. bsucio9

bsucio9 Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Twin Falls
  16. rslfutbolfan

rslfutbolfan New Member

Dec 15, 2005
    Mars w/ Cunny
    Well I would have to say that the situation with Tejada has nothing to do with Kreis not liking latinos (I dont know if he does or doesnt) but Tejada was totally out of shape and did not put in any effort to improve his fitness. I dont care if he is latin or not, If Kreis has the attitude that if you dont want to be on the team then get off...Im with him. And please....dont accuse me of not liking latin ppl because u will loose that argument. I think if anything maybe RSL should put in more effort to having people help with the communication problem (and now they need french too). I still miss Cabreras pretty face. haha. Oh and if Kreis has a problem with Latin people, what about Danny Torres? Christian Jimenez? And Nick Rimando? Should they be afraid for their jobs? I think not. Well, not because they are latin anyways. I say bs, Tejada is just pissed. And everyone knows I have not been a big Kreis fan, but Im standing up for him this time.

17. Scott e Dio93

Scott e Dio93 New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Montevideo, URU
    Easy, the players brought from Centrel America sucked!

Tejada looked crafty and skilled in the Gold Cup, but he turn into fat lazy bastard...end of story!

18. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Kipre will likely show that one can succeed at RSL without knowing English...

19. Brother Badgerjohn

Oct 16, 2000
    Okie City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Kries hated Hispanics, wouldn't it have come out at some time during the entire decade he spent in Dallas?

20. RSL Donk

RSL Donk BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 24, 2006
    Utah
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Tejada was out of shape and never made the effort to get into shape when given the chance. If that's , then fine, Kreis is racist. Maybe if Tejada would take responsibility for his own actions he would not have played for 6 different teams in 3 years. Funny, I seem to recall some thoughts when he was signed that this may have been a mistake. Can't seem to quite recall where I saw those comments. Must have been some blog or something. :rolleyes:

21. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
    In addition to other places, you saw it here:
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?p=11309032#post11309032

22. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    Let's hope so. But Kipre's success will do little to remedy RSL's perceived anti-Hispanic perception. The problem with gaining such reputations is they are very difficult to shake once repeated often enough in the Latin American press.

In Tejada's own words... he "heard" these allegations of bias to be true--and thus he seized on it as an excuse for himself. Tejada was almost certainly referring to the well-documented Cabrera saga.

Notice Tejada didn't claim that he himself had experienced racism or bigotry...only that he had "heard" about this. A subtle distinction, perhaps...but also self-fulfilling & perpetually damaging.

23. RSL Donk

RSL Donk BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 24, 2006
    Utah
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    If we never repeat the Tejada saga I'll be happy. Truly unprofessional on his part and this interview just confirms it.

24. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets see: Tejada comes from several teams where his nickname is Fatty. He comes into the preseason out of shape, he plays in his first game and is out of shape and now Kreis cuts him and says he is out of shape.

I am sensing a pattern here...Yes its that Kreis doesn't like Latinos. That must be why Torres and Rimando are on the team. That must be why Oscar Peraja was one of Kreis's best friends in Dallas.

Lame-o.

25. neophyte

neophyte Member

Sep 15, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Have there been instances of reporting an anti-Latin bias in LAm press other than Cabrera's and Tejada's sour grapes? I don't think any part of Latin America cares that much about MLS in general other than maybe Central America, since they are a large source of players for the league. While we would hate to lose that source, it hasn't really panned out so well for RSL thus far (Cabrera, Sequeira, Tejada-- who else am I forgetting?).

Maybe looking closer or further away than C America (Mexico, Argentina/Uruguay, Brazil, Ecuador/Colombia) would give us better results, but then we'd have to actually deal with more than one agent for foreign players!