Tears for Soccer

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: General' started by MinPuentes, Jul 7, 2010.

1. MinPuentes

MinPuentes Member

Sep 6, 2001
    Palm Springs
    As I sat and watched the round of 16 match between Japan and Paraguay a lot of things went through my mind. The first of which was how I can understand why most Americans do not enjoy watching soccer. In reality only the citizens of Japan and Paraguay could really be excited by sitting through a tie, nil to nil. It wasn’t till after the 90 minutes were up that the game truly got exciting for me.

The players completely exhausted but are still ready to put all they’ve got into another 30 minutes of play, so that they can be the heroes for their country and progress their team further in the FIFA World Cup. As I watched both teams fight so hard to score, I knew based on the quality of play and the weariness in the players, this was going to a penalty kick shootout. Once that thought went through my head my heart started to beat a bit faster.

Here it was for these two teams with their entire countries behind them – all up to 12 men. Five Paraguayan kickers, five Japanese kickers, and two VERY nervous ‘keepers, although I’m certain all 10 of the kickers were nervous as well. Being a soccer player myself I have had the pleasure of being in almost every position in a penalty kick shoot out. I have been the ‘keeper, the striker that scores for his team, and I have been in the position of the striker who blows the last kick to lose it all for his team. It is amazing to see a sport that is so team oriented come down to determine the outcome in this most individual way.

The first Paraguayan player stepped up to the spot, the camera moved to the two teams arm in arm in the center circle and a flood of memories went through me. Remembering the many times I too was in that situation arm in arm with my teammates. The first shot and GOAL! A sigh of relief comes over me for the Paraguayans. The first Japanese player comes up to the spot and GOAL! Another sigh of relief comes over me for the Japanese. Another quick camera move to the players in the center circle and again a flood of memories and emotions go through me, I am with all those players 100%. I might as well be in that center circle with them. The next player steps up to the spot, GOAL for Paraguay! The Japanese goalkeeper guessed right, however just missed. I know, from my own memories, the Japanese keeper was thinking “if only I had stretched my hand out a bit further. I was so close.” The next Japanese player steps up and GOAL for Japan!

Here I am sitting in my living room all by myself and the entire world was shut out to me — there could have been an earthquake and I wouldn’t notice. I was there with those teams wishing for a missed shot from the other team and hoping for a goal from their own. The third shot comes from the Paraguayan player and GOAL! Now the third Japanese player steps up to the spot. He walks up and BAM!!!! The ball goes right off the crossbar. My heart sinks; I know what he is feeling. All the feelings I had when that happened to me flood over my body ― the feeling of utter disappointment and defeat. That feeling that you have let your whole team down, and for him, his whole country.

Next up is Paraguay and a now less pressured striker steps up. If he makes it he puts his team in a great position to progress to the next round. If he misses, then his team and Japan are back to square one. He hits the ball and GOAL. I feel excitement and happiness for him and his team. The next Japanese player walks up to the spot under intense pressure. It is a must score position for him. If he misses, his kick loses the game for his team. His country and his team are out of the World Cup and they will go home. The entire country of Japan takes a deep breath, watching in anticipation.

An unexplained deep breath also comes from a small house in Tucson, Arizona.

GOAL Japan! They are still in the game. It’s not over for the underdogs Japan! The next and potentially last player walks up for Paraguay. His position is a much better one. Even a miss it and it’s not the end. Make it and you have achieved glory for you, your team, and your country. Not to mention your team will be progressing to the top eight nations in the world. He steps up and — GOAL Paraguay! They win the match and there are cheers from all those dressed in red and white. Meanwhile, there are tears from all those dressed in blue.

After the match it suddenly hit me, this was why I love to watch soccer and specifically the FIFA World Cup. All soccer games are amazing to me and while some can be more exciting than others, I understand it’s not for everyone. That being said, soccer is the only sport in the world that I can watch and get so emotional over watching two countries that I have never been to, from which I know no one. Over all, I really do not care who wins. However, there I was feeling all the joy and excitement every time the camera would show the celebrating Paraguayans and, at the same time, feeling all the pain and disappointment every time the camera would show the defeated Japanese. There are so many emotions that all of the spectators and players go through in every FIFA World Cup match, it’s no wonder that you see so many tears either from joy or from pain.

To make my point I will end it with this. I have played a lot of sports and soccer was and is my favorite. I have won some and I have lost some, but I never cried when I was a player. Yet, when Landon Donovan scored the goal against Algeria to put the USA through to the next round in the last minute of this Cup, I cried. And when the USA was defeated by Ghana in the round of sixteen in overtime, I cried. Soccer is the only sport on the planet that can do that. I never saw a single fan or player of the Colts cry when they lost the Super Bowl and no Celtics fans or players cried when they lost the NBA Finals. I think it’s because the FIFA World Cup means so much more. It’s the only sporting competition that truly unites the world and keeps their entire focus for one month every four years. Everyone forgets their troubles and gets fully emotionally involved in their team for 90 minutes and I think that is the most amazing thing of all.

2 people repped this.
  2. atomicbloke

atomicbloke Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nice post.

Yes, no other event (not just sporting) comes close to World Cup soccer in terms of spectacle, a sense of occasion, involvement of the entire world, and pure unbridled passion.

3. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Your post hits the very code passion of football. In Super Bowl or NBA, tere were always next year. The WC Finals is a 4 year thing. The fans knew it... the players knew it.... they might not be around in 4 years time. Donovan is only 28 years old, but he might not be back 4 years from now.

4. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    The World Cup just dwarfs everything else that can be considered a major sporting event.

Even Champions League is still dominated by a few major cities in a few major countries. People around the world watch it because the quality of players is high, but it doesn't begin to provoke national passion the way a WC does.

American sports championships such as the Super Bowl are pretty much a novelty in other countries.