Teams you have managed

Discussion in 'Manager Games' started by minorthreat, Dec 19, 2005.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that still a problem??? People have been bitching about that since 03-04, at least.

2. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    I like managing big clubs in smaller leagues--it provides an interesting challenge as you always have high expectations domestically, but your best players are always leaving. Haven't played in a few months, but my current game is with Portadown in Northern Ireland. Have also managed River Plate (my team for most of the CM3 versions), Sao Paulo, Ajax, Necaxa, Persija (Indonesia), Dunfermline, Arsenal, Barcelona, Hannover 96 (in the original CM3...was hired at midseason and they were midtable in the 2.Bundesliga--I bought in a Ukranian guy on loan from a Bundesliga team and he scored 30 goals in the second half of the season), Churchill Brothers (India), and probably a few others.

3. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i just started one up with runcorn fc hatlin in the english conference north. should be interesting, as i haven't the foggiest idea of who they are.

4. SweetOwnGoal

SweetOwnGoal Member

Jan 5, 2003
    11.9986 km from BMO Field
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I finally got a hold of football manager (05). Been looking for it for years having played an old version many moons ago.

It's as addictive as I remember.

Halifax Town. Finished 17th in the Conference national.

But they didn't fire my a$$!!!

Almost--my weakness for 38-year old strikers on free transfers almost made us broke. And the 11 game winless streak in November/December was pretty bad (3 in the backfield = bad idea).

The know-nothing board only gave me five thousand pounds for transfers for 05-06. How am I supposed to buy a decent keeper with five thousand pounds???

Now if you'll excuse me I have a team to manage. BTW what day is it???

5. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i have them currently in a playoff spot in league two at the beginning of december. my stadium already seats 12.5k and, outside of friendlies, my largets crowd is just below 4k... so you can understand why i was a bit surprised when my board agreed to expand the stadium. the club is still semi-professional, which i assume is one of the things making it so difficult to get anyone to come on loan. does anyone know if they'll become fully professional if i get them high enough, or am i fighting a losing battle?

6. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been playing since FM 98/99 so I'm bound to forget some of the squads I've managed but here it goes:

National Teams:
    USA
    Argentina
    Spain
    Italy
    Germany
    Scotland
    Brazil
    Ireland

England:
    Arsenal
    Man U
    Tottenham
    Liverpool
    Chelsea
    Sheffield Wednesday
    Newcastle United
    West Ham United
    Fulham
    Middlesbrough
    Wolverhampton
    Leicester
    Nottm Forest
    Blackpool
    Barnet

Scotland:
    Rangers
    Celtic

Holland:
    Ajax
    NAC Breda
    Willem II Tilburg

Germany:
    Bayern Munich
    Bayer Leverkusen
    Borussia Dortmund

Spain:
    Barcelona
    Valencia
    Real Madrid
    FC Sevilla
    Real Betis

Italy:
    Juventus
    AC Milan
    Inter Milan
    Fiorentina
    Roma

France:
    PSG
    Monaco
    Marseille

US:
    Colorado Rapids
    DC United
    Rochester

There are a couple squads in Ireland and Wales I can't remember the names of when I was trying to play the small manager working my way up. As you can see I often go for the big, glory clubs. Right now I'm playing season 2021/22 in WWSM '05. I just won the Bundesliga with Bayern for the 4th straight season.

7. Dadinho

Dadinho Member

Feb 19, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    -Dag and Red (from conference to Premiership, UEFA, and CL champs various times)
    -Leyton Orient (same as above)
    -Ji-Paraná (they are a 3rd division Brasilian team, which probably gave me the most trouble of any team)
    -Belgium (world cup champs)

I never manage traditional powers, and generally get bored after winning all domestic and international trophies for a team. When the boredom hits I sign a contract with the worst team in the lowest division.

8. suppitty

suppitty Member

Mar 15, 2004
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow I guess I jump around way too much:

England: Lewes, Stevenage, Northampton, Millwall, Oxford Utd, Plymouth, Tottenham.
    Other: Marseille, Atl Madrid, ADO Den Haag (NED), Jablonec (CZE), Falkirk (SCO), Daegu (KOR), and DC United.
    Nat'l Teams: US and T&T (all players loaded).

9. deVil_X

deVil_X Member

Jul 3, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I've bought FM but I dont know. I didnt like it that much. Now dont shoot me for saying this but I dont know, i find not playing the game and only managing the team a bit unatractive maybe. Maybe im wrong. What do you guys like about the game?

10. SweetOwnGoal

SweetOwnGoal Member

Jan 5, 2003
    11.9986 km from BMO Field
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Game???

What the he!! are you talking about-game?

This isn't a game. The great fans of Halifax are relying on me. They have put their faith in an unknown Canadian, it is up to me to ensure that they aren't let down.

Game?

Please.

11. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sounds like you need to give it some more time. I have been playing for a long time and it is totally addictive. Over time you get totally engrosed in the players, their abilities, the club, the cashflow, the tactics, the leagues, who to sign to win the next competition. Give it some more time.

On the other hand you may be someone who loves FIFA on playstation or something and may not be as into the daily goings on of the club.

12. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I've played this game for so many years, infact Newcastle vs Everton is running in the background as I type, that I can't remember all the clubs I've played so I'll just name the memorable teams.

Newcastle - FA cup, League cup x2 and CL FM 2005

Juve - League x5, Coppa Italia x5, CL x1 (I reached the final 4 years in a row and always lost)

Santos - League x2, Copa Liberderewhatsit x1

Bayern - League x3, League Cup x4, Cup x2 and CL x3

Rushden and Diamonds - Conferance,Div3,Div2,Div1 and League cup

Dortmund - League x3

PSV - League x7, Cup x6, UEFA cup x3, CL x2, WCC x1, Intercontinetal x2

Holland - WCx2, Euros x1

13. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could you tell us more about this one? Like which version of CM/FM it was on and how you did with them in the top division. I find the finances to be close to impossible to get Conf and below clubs into the Prem. It looks like you play very little lower league so that makes it even more interesting to me.

14. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    It was in CM3 and it was only on this version and with Rushden that I managed to get that high.

Rushden used to be owned by the guy that owns Dr Martins (the shoes) and probably because of that Rushden had a budget of a high div2 team in the conferance.

I used this money to buy up all the young cheap players, like Tonton Mokouko, and instead of having them in the reserves like normal, I played them in the first team straight away and they improved much quicker this way.

These young players got me out the conferance and div 3, so by the time I was in Div 2 they started attracting the attention of div 1 and lower prem teams. I kept most of them but if I got a really good bid I sold one and used the money to buy 3 average players and this bolstered my squad and after 2 season in Div 2 I got to Div 1.

In Div 1 I still sold players that got good offers but instead of selling them and buying a couple of average replacements, I used the money to buy young players that would replace them or in somecases, such as striker, buy an established player.

I won the Div 1 championship and League cup in the same year 06/07 I think, and that team was made up of established players that I'd bought in the Conferance, average div1/2 players, good youngsters and 1 or 2 good lower prem/div 1 strikers.

I finished 11th in my first season in the Premiership, and then the game crashed.:rolleyes:

15. FormerGermanGuy

Mar 1, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In 00-01 I decided that I would first destroy Man U and then sign on with whatever team would hire me after that. So after 3 months, 25 players sold and 35 nobodies signed, and after setting the league record for most points scored against (17 vs. Newcastle), I found myself working for Stoke City in Div.2

We got promoted every year after that until the Premiership, where we finished 5th our first year and won it the year after. We never made it to the CL title due to a computer crash but overall it was the greatest performance of my managerial career. The best part (besides winning the premiership) was reading about Man U going into receivership 5 times after I left due to the outrageous salaries I was paying the scumbags I had signed.

16. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    HAHA best post eveer :D

17. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I was tempted a few games back to kill off ManU. They offered me the job after a few seasons of barely hanging on to the bottom of the Prem. I thought it might be nice to help them take the last step off the relegation ledge. I end up deciding to stick with my team and they ended up staying up again by a couple of points. Coulda, shoulda, woulda...;)

18. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Lower teams I have previously stuck with are Tranmere (CM4) and get this... Wigan (CM03/04). With Tranmere, I got them to the Premiership and we won it 3 times in 5 years, as well as 2 FA Cups, 1 Carling Cup and 2 CLs (one season I even did the quadruple). With Wigan I got promoted to the CCC, just missed out on promotion the next season, and then got it in the one after that. What is weird is that I also stormed onto the Premiership scene, finishing 3rd and winning the Carling Cup! :eek: I then went on to win every trophy available to me for the next 2 seasons, and was pretty much done with the game when my CPU crashed badly, and needed to be reformatted.

In FM2006 (never got 05), I am abvout to start my 3rd season with Shamrock Rovers in the League of Ireland and won consecutive league and cup titles, as well as not only getting my team into the CL (3 nobody teams in the qualifiers - VERY lucky), but in a group with Lyon, Deportivo and Man United I somehow managed to scrape through (playing 5-5-0 for the last 20 minutes of a game I lost 3-0 to Man United; had I conceeded another goal, I was out of Europe altI have sold both of my wingers for a combined £5mn (HUGE money for my team) to Boro & Newcastle, Gavin Rae (who I had bought for £7,000 off Rangers to Wigan for £1mn and a CB who wasn't even making my firs team to Hearts for £800k. I managed to replace all of these with better players for cheaper (Farfan for £190k!!), and have recently been made Russian :)confused: ) national team coach.

BTW, here are some GREAT players you can get for very low prices:
    - Paul Jans (6'4 targetman, plays in Dutch 2nd division, scored 50 goals for me last season in 51 appearances)
    - Luizinho (again, Dutch 2nd division... one of the most talented CMs I know of in the game)
    - Denis Boyarinstev (Russian winger)
    - Manu (Portuguese winger)
    - Ben Shackell (young English CB, not great statistically but a rock that only cost me £130k. Played 52 games for me last season, with a 7.87 rating)

19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're my hero.

20. Zaqattaq

Zaqattaq Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got it and I am doing a great job of keeping Fulham up

Sold Diop to Cologne for £3.3m
    Bought Landon Donovan for £3m
    Have £2.8 to spend

Great Chemistry with 3 American players who want to play with each other and Beasley is interested in joining his fellow countrymen. It may be tough to keep Steed and Boa Morte at the club though. An Intertoto place would be a dream. McBride is lighting up the Prem

By the way all the addons have really made it more fun and realistic

21. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been playing since FM 98/99 so I'm bound to forget some of the squads I've managed but here it goes:
    Updated 6-28-06

National Teams:
    USA
    Argentina
    Spain
    Italy
    Germany
    Scotland
    Brazil
    Ireland
    England

England:
    Arsenal
    Man U
    Tottenham
    Liverpool
    Chelsea
    Sheffield Wednesday
    Newcastle United
    West Ham United
    Fulham
    Middlesbrough
    Wolverhampton
    Leicester
    Nottm Forest
    Blackpool
    Barnet

Scotland:
    Rangers
    Celtic

Holland:
    Ajax
    NAC Breda
    Willem II Tilburg

Germany:
    Bayern Munich
    Bayer Leverkusen
    Borussia Dortmund

Spain:
    Barcelona
    Valencia
    Real Madrid
    FC Sevilla
    Real Betis

Italy:
    Juventus
    AC Milan
    Inter Milan
    Fiorentina
    Roma

France:
    PSG
    Monaco
    Marseille

US:
    Colorado Rapids
    DC United
    Rochester

After three or four successful seasons at Man U, the FA approached me to manage England after Sven was fired following the 2008 European Championships. I've never had them ask before so I figured I should take the job. My first matches were WC 2010 qualifiers. I am 4-0-0 in my group of minnows and Switzerland. Minnows including San Marcos and Lichtenstein or something like that. My 4-2-3-1 works wonders with any striker supported by Rooney in the middle of the 3 attacking midfielders. I won against one of the minows 9-0.

I've kept my job at Man U and spliting the time isn't too bad. At Man U I signed Sean Wright-Phillips on a free transfer. He's been a wonder on the right side of my attacking midfield for both Man U and England.

22. www.thessf.net

www.thessf.net New Member

Jul 2, 2006
    I managed Airdrie for around 14 seasons in CM01/02 then got bored after winning the champions league, I have still to get a good game going in football manager, my 2nd season always ruins the game.

23. B Rock

B Rock Member

Oct 7, 2004
    I think CM 01/02 was the easiest I have played for getting lower level teams up. I took Maccesfield up to the Premiership from the third division being promoted every year save a break in the First Division to remake the squad.

What was really amazing is some of my average Third Division talents still played a role in the Premiership to no apparent detriment my first couple of years there.

I think the major flaw in 01/02 was the willingness of well established players to sit out the begining of the next season after leaving their club on Bosman. A few months into that next season their wage demands would be sliced in half and what they would actually accept was usually half of that with no bonus.

I'll never forget my first season in the Prem I signed Jeffers (who actually is servicable at that level) for $20,000/week when he had begun the summer demanding $110,000/week. He clearly belonged on a UEFA qualifying/midtable team as opposed to a newly promoted squad with ambitions only to stick initially.

I bought '05 and recognized that SI had some improvements to make before I could come back to the series. I think I played it for about ten hours before trashing it and vowing not to come back and let the game ruin my life again until they came out with some serious improvements.

24. LegalBeagle

LegalBeagle Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Springboro, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Lewes
    Basingstoke
    Altrincham

I always begin in the Conference North or South, no real players, attribute masking, and try to earn it!

25. midwestsurfer

midwestsurfer New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Honolulu~Tulsa
    Sokol Saratov (rus)
    Tamworth
    DC United
    FC Dallas
    Man City