"Teams Patrice Evra Hasn't Lied to the FA About" - OTT 20 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by AndSomeAreAngels, Feb 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Kawklee

Kawklee BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 30, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Messy

3. zenden

zenden Member+

Nov 12, 2006
    yo estoy en Europa
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Bilbao v Schalke was a fantastic match. This year, Europa League> Champions League in terms of entertainment and teams actually playing to win.

4. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's actually the case more often than not. As much as I love watching games when we're in CL, the games tend to be snooze fests. It's kinda like watching big international games - so much on the line that teams play uber conservative and don't really try to score.

Bilbao is a helluva team. Premature as it may be to say, if Kenny were to step down, Bielsa is a guy I think we'd have to take a serious look at.

5. zenden

zenden Member+

Nov 12, 2006
    yo estoy en Europa
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    That's why I don't even bother with international competitions any more. South Africa 2010 was absolute sh!t. There will never be a game like the Holland v Czech Republic QF match at Euro 04 again.

I wish!

6. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Serious question does he speak English?

He is less than 5 years younger than Kenny and look at the scepticism last year in hiring the King at his age. If Kenny quits I doubt TPTB will hire someone a similar age who has achieved less than Hodgson in European football management.

I know you personally are not suggesting Kenny should be moved on but would the same people who have ignored our cup success and focused on our league mediocrity be happy with a manager who is focusing on the Europa cup and has let his side drop down from 5th to 11th since beating United. He and his team are focused on a trophy, which is good IMHO, at the expense of a Champions League place.

7. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a game that was. Great.

8. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Bielsa is a great coach with great ideas but too radical for Liverpool. Would he have the time and freedom to do his thing here? I doubt it. Also, he doesn't stay with a club/team long enough. As much as I love him I don't think he'd be a good fit, also doesn't strike me that he'd fit into English/PL culture. Going by the kinds of players/teams he likes or has coached in the past he'd probably have to overhaul the entire team if he would come in.

9. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Best of luck in your treatment Stiliyan Petrov. :eek:

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...Petrov-diagnosed-leukaemia.html#ixzz1qeDiqHQJ

10. zenden

zenden Member+

Nov 12, 2006
    yo estoy en Europa
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  11. ULL NEVER WALK ALONE

Sep 29, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I think it's in the best interest of the club in the long term if AVB is appointed manager in the summer. I just think AVB and LFC are a perfect match, if he wants the job.

In the long term KK is just not the answer if you ask me.

12. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Begone Satan

1 person likes this.
  13. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Believed his own hype about being the special one super mark 2. Ought to have stayed and enhanced his reputation at Porto. Silly sod.

14. ryered

ryered Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    Hill Country
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Special Mini Me ended up specializing in a SHORT stay at KGB. Arf-Arf. I'll stick with the dotty old Scot for now.

15. ryered

ryered Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    Hill Country
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    And on another note our bitter neighbors now sit above us in the table, so there is some meaning to the match tomorrow... though still not much.

16. ryered

ryered Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    Hill Country
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    And in yet other news Nando the Whiffer has - gasp - scored again. Now getting worried about earthquakes and volcanoes erupting up here...

17. AnyLuckForEngland?

Jul 10, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Let's be honest. Ashley Young and Berbatov are on the bench for ManU, Young comes off the bench and scores the second goal tonight...both Young and Berbatov are of the quality that would start every single week in this Liverpool side.

ManU doesn't need to sell to buy. They're constantly improving: the gap between Liverpool and ManU is growing and it's not going to close soon: unless the owners add significantly this offseason.

Sigh, I don't know why I'm ranting. Sorry guys.

18. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
  19. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Kind of sad seeing Raul score a goal today and the traitor enjoying CL action. The day we let Raul go was the day hope died on our campaign. Hard to fathom LFC making it to the CL let alone the semi-final in the next 3 years.

20. never walk alone TPK

Sep 27, 2004
    nairobi, kenya
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kenya
    Just putting this out there.
    Modric wanted to leave Tottenham and there were strong bids put on him by mainly Chelsea during the summer transfer window. Tottenham rejected the offers and the rumoured transfer request submitted by Modric himself. They promised him investment and improved terms as well as the guarantee of CL. Till then they added Parker and Adebayor (loan) to their ranks as well as Saha. Tottenham played hardball, they did not cover they basically said F U Chelsea FC and told Modric give us one more season see where we are and then we discuss.
    I look at LFCs situation with Torres and a lesser extent Meireles. The former could have been an instrumental figure for LFCs history and could have developed a strong partnership with Suarez. Suarez was bought with Torres in mind so I do not buy the fact that Torres had rubber stamped his move way before the last few days.
    At that moment we had just got rid of the previous regime and we were positively moving towards a new ownership and a new period in LFCs illustrious future.
    Were we so engrossed in the positive, happy, optimistic, good mood kind of mentality that the management and Kenny believed in. I know there were circumstances where Torres was being a whiny piece of trash but we could have played hardball and worse asked for a bigger sum from CFC just to piss them off and then say no last minute keep him till the summer, line up a player (Maybe Carroll) and take it from there. Clearly we were not worried about the finance so if we got 50 million in Jan or 40 million or less in August it wouldn't have mattered. There was potential for Suarez to work with Torres and we let that boat sail.
    Then came Meireles one of the unique pieces in our team that worked well with Kuyt, Suarez, Maxi and the setup we had when Kenny joined. We let him go and all he asked was an increase on his wages? How much was he asking for, by the looks of it he has been better then Adam/Henderson not by a big margin but still an improvement.
    I do not intend to discuss why they left or where they left for. I also could not care less about their attitude and wanting a big move or whatever as CFC will never reach the heights of LFC. What bothers me is why did the club not keep hold of these players when they could have? Maybe the insiders at LFC know the true picture and maybe they did try extremely hard to keep hold of Torres especially but we were not succesful.
    For this same reasons I hope we do not lose Suarez, Agger, Reina, Johnson, Skrtel the most talented of our players and replace them with average talent.
    Kuyt and Maxi might leave to and it is a shame that they will as they have given the most to this club especially Kuyt. Kuyt might have the worst touch but he works hard for the team and has pride putting on the LFC jersey.

21. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Nobody was sad to see Torres go. He was under performing immensely. Now Raul, on the other hand, single-handedly saved our season last year and showed no signs of letting up. They should've ponied up the cash for the wage bill. He's worth a team of Downings, Adams, and Hendos.

22. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    [​IMG]

We had 6 months of Raul in the league and we were shit. If anyone single handedly saved* our season it was Dalglish. Raul got 5 goals and 5 assists in the league last year just as his replacement has got 2 goals and 8 assists for us this season. Look at the Chelsea boards the majority of their fans view Raul with the same contempt many of ours view Charlie with. Wonder goal aside he's had a very poor season.

*And obviously no one did it was a group effort of the King, Clarke, Lucas, Suarez, Maxi, Kuyt etc etc.

23. demolitionlover

Jan 29, 2007
    Butte
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meireles was immense for us last season. Not sure what you're smoking here, Pikas.

24. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Immense! Really?

Sure he was one of our better players last season, where we finished 6th and crashed out of both domestic cups in the 1st round, but to describe him as being immense or single handedly saving our season is nonsense.

Lucas was immense. Raul, despite his purple patch, was not significantly better than Kuyt, Reina or Maxi. If we finish 6th this season and win both cups how many players will of had an immense season?

I was sorry to see him go but its just another case of the grass is always greener where we imagine that players who left or signings we didn't make would be doing so much better that what we already have.

25. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    somewhere btwn 3 and 8, more or less, depending...

and, just so you can harp at me for being a grammar nazi, it's "will have", not "will of"