Teams and other stuff 2019-20?

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by WPSL, Jul 14, 2019.

1. WPSL

WPSL Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Club:
    Cleveland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone have any insight on the upcoming season? I heard that possibly two teams will move down to M2. Also I heard that a new Mexican team is going to be in the MASL or in the M2. Is there any teams that folded? I heard a rumor that the playoff format is going back to the best of three (Home and Home, Plus a mini game). I wish you they would play a real best at three series.

2. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, the playoffs are returning to the two game with a mini game series. The link below is from the summer league meetings.

PLAYOFF FORMAT
    The 2019-2020 Ron Newman Cup playoff structure was a highly anticipated subject on the day’s agenda with many members voicing strong opinions. With many different options discussed a final format was decided upon. The Ron Newman Cup playoffs will consist of three rounds. Each round will see teams play a home-and-home series with a 15-minute Minigame to decide the winner if necessary.

https://www.maslsoccer.com/news/masl-spring-meetings-day-two

WPSL repped this.
  3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am going to guess at least a couple of teams will move down to Oblivion.

4. JDogindy

JDogindy Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a perfect world, no Turlock.

SteveCo and Centennial repped this.
  5. JDogindy

JDogindy Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Realistically, I can see Mississauga, El Paso, Rio Grande Valley, and Orlando being up for folding or "temporarily" suspending operations (a fancier word for folding). Meanwhile the cockroaches of central California will live to fester another year.

6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You REALLY have a hardon for Turlock, don't you?

7. JDogindy

JDogindy Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huge, throbbing, veiny.

My rational and logical brain cannot shut itself off and accept a barnyard team of fat men running around a place you can rent for birthday parties in a professional league.

SteveCo and Centennial repped this.
  8. mjames1229

mjames1229 Member

Sep 26, 2006
    West Allis, WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sonora is back.

upload_2019-7-16_12-25-41.png

WPSL and Scooge repped this.
  9. NickWISoccer

NickWISoccer Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    so we could have as many as 19 teams next years. i like that they are going back to home and home. hated the 1 game finals, even though the Wave took the title theres something to be said for winning it after a series rather than a 1 game coin flip.

SteveCo repped this.
  10. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since when is one game a "coin flip?"

Are we at the point now where the results of a game don't matter? So why watch sports, then?

Be better on the day you play or STFU and move on.

11. NickWISoccer

NickWISoccer Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm not suggesting that Ken, that games dont matter, of course they do. its just that in a one game set up, chance can play a bigger role in the outcome, than it can over a best of 3 or a best of 5 series. A bounce off the leg, a weird bounce off the boards etc. In a series, you have a bad game, you can recover, especially if the series is long. in a one game affair, you have a bad game, you get bounced. talent normally comes to the fore over a series

Look I've been following indoor soccer since the early 90s, i know what indoor soccer is at this point, a semi-pro setup, with only a handful of teams that you can count of them being there, year to year. every years, its add a few , drop a few. I've lost count of how many times that a last minute team has been added to puff up the numbers ( Riot, Roar, etc) and to serve as a doormat for the other teams.
    my team is the Wave, obviously, and on balance they havent had the best luck in one game affairs. I still remember them hosting Monterrey, back when the league still had multiple point goals, and watching the game slip away from them late on a couple of long goals. This past year they ended up on the right side and I'm not going to complain too badly about finally getting number 7. I just dont like one game setups, on principle. Which Is why I really like the return to home and home series this year.

SteveCo repped this.
  12. mjames1229

mjames1229 Member

Sep 26, 2006
    West Allis, WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. NickWISoccer

NickWISoccer Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    !7 teams, so El Paso and rio Grande arent returning

14. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. NickWISoccer

NickWISoccer Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm guessing playoff format is 8 teams. 4 per conference. 1 v 4, 2v3

SteveCo repped this.
  16. WPSL

WPSL Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Club:
    Cleveland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know about the Las Vegas Legends coming back? If so in e MASL or M2? Maybe another league?

17. WPSL

WPSL Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Club:
    Cleveland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the guy who owns FC Wichtia is bring back the Wichtia Wings. I'm assuming that they will be playing in M2, if it's still around. Does anyone know any news on the Wings or how many teams are going to play in the M2?

18. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SteveCo and NSL2004 repped this.
  19. JDogindy

JDogindy Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the mass exodus planned, I wonder why anyone would consider M2 with even fewer regional teams, especially with all but Muskegon leaving the East.

20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They just posted an update today that puts forth nine to eleven teams. Apparently the age old indoor model of getting a few new people in to replace the ones you just lost is still highly regarded.

21. mjames1229

mjames1229 Member

Sep 26, 2006
    West Allis, WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dallas Sidekicks are really, really horrible.

I think they're my pick for next in the in-season Death Pool.

They're losing to expansion teams full of former Sidekicks, and they lost in Monterrey 14-1 in a game that wasn't as close as the score indicated. I watched the first half with Van McNeil and we turned it off because we were embarrassed for the Sidekicks.

Joey Tee repped this.
  22. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I figure Rochester won't fold because of the stubbornness of its owner, but the Lancers are terrible, too.

Hell, some of the worst teams in indoor history at least survived their entire seasons. If the Pennsylvania Roar somehow made it to the finish line, there is hope for the Dallas Sidekicks.

SteveCo and Joey Tee repped this.
  23. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    Outside of Gamboa, Moojen, Ricardinho and Brown, the Sidekicks roster looks more like the expansion team.

24. SteveCo

SteveCo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Saint Louis Ambush are not looking very good either. Not much scoring, though they scored a couple times late after falling far behind in Kansas City. The Ambush lost 30 percent of their scoring from last season after Justin Stinson left in free agency and Zach Reget was traded to Florida. The guy the Ambush received in return from Florida, Andre Braithwaite, has not shown up to play yet. It likely will be a long season in Saint Louis. They were supposed to play the Metrostars four times, but now they get 2 more games against Utica and a 2 game road trip to Mexico. I think they might be lucky to win 4 or 5 games, if that.

25. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what phase is this for the Ambush now?