Team USA -- USA Men's Basketball

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by I. Tristeza, Jul 15, 2007.

1. broomtree

broomtree New Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    that's the dumbest ********ing logic i've ever seen in my life.

2. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, and hopefully it can end with that.

3. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    My analogies are perfect. You're saying anything that imitate a race is racist. I don't agree. I have asian friends and they're just as aware of their eyes as black people are of their butts and white people of their skinny legs. People need to chill with this racist thing they pull out every damn time because it's boring. It's like crying wolf every time someone open their mouth. It's starting to lose it's meaning. That's all I'm saying. Now back to hoops....

4. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Britain isn't even rated, god we must suck. I thought Deng was supposed to be good?

5. prvev

prvev New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You only just formed a team a few years ago, and this is the first cycle that you'll have a chance to qualify for Eurobasket (and, therefore, the World Championship). You'll have a halfway decent team if Deng and Gordon keep playing for you, in addition to the guys such as Betts who play in continental Europe.

6. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I'm not saying anything of the sort. Maybe it's boring to you, but my father was subject to ridicule of just that very kind right before his family lost their business, property and possessions and put in barbed wire camps in the desert, simply because they were Japanese Americans. No matter how many times the term "J a p" is used, it's not going to lose meaning for me. It's fine - although I would disagree - if you think that one thing has nothing to do with the other, or that PC goes overboard or that folks are too sensitive today, but the fact remains that you are in no position to tell folks what they should and should not be offended by and clearly this offended some people. Thinking that mocking someone's physical racial characteristics is the same as wearing a "chinese dress" is both ignorant and offensive.

I personally laughed when I heard about the picture simply because it's so over the top, and I also think Europe is not as "PC" as the United States, but thinking it's ridiculous and clueless is different than your belief that it's fine. If I had young kids I'm sure this kind of thing would irritate me more. Like I said, ask your Asian friends if they would want their kids to be subject to this kind of thing. Is it the end of the world? No. But that doesn't make it right either.

Finally, again I invite you to do some research into the treatment of Chinese immigrants or Japanese Americans in this country. I think it's a shame that much of our treatment of Asians goes unstudied in this country.

Sorry folks - couldn't help myself. I'll drop it now.

*Ahem* Back to the topic:

Espn had a series of post Olympic articles about Team USA here:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-33-227/The-Future-of-Team-U-S-A-.html
    http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summe...umnist=sheridan_chris&page=DreamRedeem-080825
    http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer08/columns/story?id=3552429

7. broomtree

broomtree New Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    white people have skinny legs?.. that's completely untrue

8. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I think everyone has gotten too sensitive about this whole thing. Seems like everything now is racism. Anyway, we just have to agree to disagree. I thought it was a fun picture and I was surprised at the contraversy that followed.

Back to the Redeem Team... who among these should continue? I think Kobe, James, Paul, Wade, Williams, Bosh and Howard should come back. Kidd obviously is out. Same with Redd, Prince and Boozer. Bynum and Durant will get in. Maybe OJ too. I've had my doubts about Rose. I think it will take some time before he's at that Paul/Williams level.

9. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  10. pablo85

pablo85 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    yes you are stupid spleetoog

11. cinnaminson

cinnaminson New Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Philadelphia

why is he a tool? he speaks italian and spanish. he appreciates the world beyond the usa. and he is a big football-soccer fan. he has many positive qualities unlike many americans.

12. cinnaminson

cinnaminson New Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Philadelphia
    would spain be an nba playoff team?

13. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually laughed at you.

14. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    They aren't quite NBA champion quality imo, but I think they could still make the playoffs.

15. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's see where do we begin. Ok first the coaching issues at the Lakers, whatever Kobe want's Kobe gets. He's been responsible for the firings of two coaches. He demanded certain player trades or changes in the team with the ultimatum that if they didn't take place he wanted a trade. He came close this past season to not playing for the Lakers. He had an affair, let's say a booty call with a certified looney while being married to one of the most gorgeous women on the planet. It also cost him a multi-million dollar ring and a re commitment ceremony for $50 K.
    [​IMG]

16. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Wow what a terrible person. Does that mean you hate Brad Pitt too because he can get your girlfriend if he wanted her?
    Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson got coaches fired. I suppose that's OK though right?
    That is a blatant lie. If he had that kind of power Jason Kidd would be a Laker right now.
    And that's a problem because?
    What NBA player, or celebrity all together, doesn't have affairs? Are you jealous because he can actually get some?
    Oh my god did he do something that terrible? No wonder you hate him! He ********ed up and then buys his woman a ring! That's never happened before.. ever.

18. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    They're just good enough to get you into the play-offs and just bad enough to probably go out in the first round once they make them. ;)

19. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess who's defending Kobe again when the entire planet knows he is a scumbag.

20. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Except China :D

21. cinnaminson

cinnaminson New Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Philadelphia
    did you ever see he old version of "road rules" on mtv from about 8 years ago? they had kobe and reggie miller play full court against the 6-7 members of the road rules cast. kobe decided he was going to punk this one guy, a big black guy who was had played college football. he was dunking on him and then going nose to nose with the stare down act, just making him a straight beeatch.

22. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are possibly as big a tool as Kobe. If you don't see anything wrong with his behavior and choose to rationalize away his behavior you are an enabler.

23. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    You hate him for cheating on his wife? Buying her a ring? Wanting managment to stop lying to him and do what they promised? You're the ********ing tool.

24. remixer

remixer New Member

Nov 26, 2008
    One thing so sad about the Basketball team of the US is that they are going down.
    Though they have redeemed their fame but they aren't so fancy as they used to be like the era of Michael Jordan or Magic Johnson.

25. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Jordan and Magic didn't play anyone. Today other countries can ball. Back then no one else could.