Team Selection: 1970 World Cup

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Gregoriak, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    I would select the following players from the 1970 World Cup, one of the greatest and most talent-filled tournaments in history:

Team A:

---------------Cubillas----------G.Müller----------Jairzinho

----------------Overath-----------Pelé-----------Beckenbauer

------Mujica----------Rosato----------------R.Moore---------Carlos Alberto

--------------------------------Mazurkiewicz

Team B:

-----------------Riva-------------Tostao---------Libuda

--------------Rivelino-----------Gerson--------Seeler

------Cooper-----Schnellinger--------Chumpitaz-------Burgnich

------------------------------------Banks

Team C:

------------------------Boninsegna--------Bishovets

-------van Moer------R.Charlton------Clodoaldo-----Domenghini

--------Patzke----------Piazza---------Cera--------Vogts

--------------------------------Kavazashvili

2. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I'm currently in the process of rewatching some of my tapes and will post when I am back up to speed.

3. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    Truer words never spoken.

Good to see you and comme almost single handedly posting up great WC line-ups. Job is kicking my azz, so excuse me if I only comment.

I'm surprised (pleasantly) that you picked Maz at first choice goalie instead of Banks who would have been the easy choice? Why?

Also no Faschetti at all in your A-C teams? Felt he had a poor tournament, or just missed the cut?

4. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    no love for hugo sotil on any on the 3 teams?

5. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    No Peter Bonetti?

6. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    I always considered these two goalies the best of their era, especially the mid-60s to early-70s. People like to accentuate Banks´ achievements more than Mazurkiewicz`s, one of the reason being that Banks won the World Cup, played in a more prolific team and also wasn`t fooled by Pelé in '70 (unlike poor Maz). So I basically only had to decide who of the two would be the top goalie in '66 and who in '70 (no other keeper was in their league in these tournaments). It was obvious after making Banks the #1 in my '66 team that Mazurkiewicz had to be the #1 in my '70 team.

This was due to poor form. From his name alone, he should have been the #1 choice for left back (and I was struggling a bit with the left back position in this tournament...). But Facchetti just didn`t play an outstanding tournament, in fact, before the final, the Italian coaching staff was seriously contemplating whether they should bench their captain in the final due to his poor form. It was doubted that he would be the best solution facing Jairzinho, and the Italian media openly expected to see Facchetti on the bench against Brazil. (But the Italian staff decided to rely on his routine for the final despite his bad form). That`s why I couldn`t really put him in my best of teams...

7. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Well, thank you! Unfortunate (for these boards) that you`re so occupied with your job at the moment (good for you, though).

Too bad we don`t get to see some of your selections.